• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Motor Fan Quits Running

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thirtydaZe

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB410
  2. EB48
  3. SCT410
Driving Style
Racer
Bare with me as i've asked about this on FB and at rctech.

Here is my Original post, Some of you may have seen it.

Having a bit of a technical issue. I was at practice the other day, coming off of a jump and entering the straight. My cars wheels went full right, and then lost all power.
Pulled it off the track, and powered it back on, I noticed my motor fan was not running. Replaced it (the fan), which is when i noticed the fan would only run intermittently.
Messing with it more, I noticed if my fan was running, and i manually moved my spur gear to the point of turning the motors rotor, it would kill the fan.
Convinced i had a bad motor, I replaced it. The issue continues. I'm assuming now it's an ESC problem (HW v3.1)
Just curious if anyone has encountered anything like this?
I guess I have it narrowed down to the ESC, just don't want to buy one if I don't have to.

Anyhow, what's essentially happening, is when i power my car, the fan spins, but once i touch the throttle, it stops running. It's thought and perhaps confirmed, that the magnets from my motor are causing the fan to quit running.

I have a jConcepts CF center brace on order, and am currently running the Tekno one. The jConcepts, from my understanding pulls the fan back from the motor, so I'll see if that fixes the issue.

What I didn't include, in my original post, when my car lost power, it smelt like something might have burnt up. Could it be possible the Caps on my Esc let go? I have almost convinced myself that the issue is brand new, and happened at the said power loss. I've been running the same setup since January.

I was originally running a Fantom motor and had no heat issues, now with my replacement my motor leads were close to 180* after a race.

Need opinions/help on what's going on here, other eb410 drivers don't have this issue.

That is very odd I have ran odd no-name brand fans, ruddog and Yeah racing fans in my EB410's all with Tekno center top plate and haven't had any fan issues.

How is your fan being powered? Is it plugged into your receiver, if so try soldering directly to your power wires, that may help.

Some ESC can also control the fan if they have the setting and maybe its set to go off only when it reaches a certain temp?

Just throwing out ideas atm and maybe you have thought or tried all of this already?

Yeah, its a WTF 30mm fan plugged into my receiver. Ive switches receiver ports, but haven’t direct wired it.

Like i said im pretty sure its a recent phenomena, ive been running the same system for months.

If possible, I would swap out with a known good ESC just to rule out that the ESC is bad, if that's the case then I would send the bad ESC in for repair (if under warranty), if not under warranty, I know HobbyWing offers a deep discount with an RMA. Doesn't hurt to have a spare ESC anyway, they don't always last forever... seen all kinds of weird things happen to ESC's over the years, regardless of brand. I have personally found HobbyWing to be the most resilient, though no brand lasts forever and HobbyWing tends to save me more money due to lasting longer than most other brands I've owned.

Best of luck!

yep, that's my next change i think. it couldn't hurt anyhow.
thanks.

If it’s plugged into the receiver, you could add a bec most fans like 6-7.4 volts, but the motor may pull more at times sending extra draw through the receiver. I have to blow my fan out after every run to keep it going on a dusty track. It runs better since I turned the bec (in the speed control up to 7.4), because I’m running a HV servo now.

If it’s plugged into the receiver, you could add a bec most fans like 6-7.4 volts, but the motor may pull more at times sending extra draw through the receiver. I have to blow my fan out after every run to keep it going on a dusty track. It runs better since I turned the bec (in the speed control up to 7.4), because I’m running a HV servo now.

Unfortunately, it sounds like a problem in your esc, a bec would add life, but not a true fix. I have esc’s that fry servos and bec’s fixed them for now.

I feel like you're probably correct. Something definitely burnt up initially, at least when i took the body off, it sure smelled like it. Everything, besides what's been mentioned, functions fine, just one of those things i guess.

Glad you found the group....

I'm curious to what caused this I was reading on this topic a month or so ago but can not recall where I found it at. Re-positioning the fan fixed the issue and there was a few others that ran into this with certain motors/esc combos but there was never an ultra cure all reply

I purchased the jConcepts fan mount, and as suggested here, I'm going to replace my esc. I've been out of town for work, and haven't layed a finger on my car since last week.

I did twist my fane 1/4 turn but the issue still persisted.

Recent Popular Liked

Back