• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Do you guys run motor heatsink & fan or just a fan?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lampshade9909

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
Driving Style
Racer
I live in a hot climate, so I'll need something to help keep cool. What do you guys run to keep the motor cool? Do you guys use heatsink + fan when racing too? Or just when doing long bash sessions?

I've done the motor heatsink + fans before. But I've heard some people just mount 1 single fan facing towards the motor. I've heard some people will mount the fan in various places as opposed to on a heatsink.

Thanks

Generally, the only fan that most racers use is on the ESC. If you take a lot of nasty tumbles, then expect to replace the ESC fan periodically. When the fan goes out, the thermal protection usually kicks in before any damage can occur. If you place a fan on the motor, then thermal protection isn't necessarily going to work when the fan goes out and you risk damaging the motor. Most folks will try to gear properly and never depend on a fan for the motor.

If you are only doing speed runs and don't typically take any nasty tumbles with a very low probability of damaging a fan on the motor, then that's entirely possible.

Generally, the only fan that most racers use is on the ESC. If you take a lot of nasty tumbles, then expect to replace the ESC fan periodically. When the fan goes out, the thermal protection usually kicks in before any damage can occur. If you place a fan on the motor, then thermal protection isn't necessarily going to work when the fan goes out and you risk damaging the motor. Most folks will try to gear properly and never depend on a fan for the motor.

If you are only doing speed runs and don't typically take any nasty tumbles with a very low probability of damaging a fan on the motor, then that's entirely possible.

Good to know. That's interesting. I'm a noob to racing, so my motor fans would probably get beat up. I'll go with your suggestion and just put a fan on the ESC and leave the motor as is.

The Yeah Racing heat sink and twin fan setup works very well, it really makes a difference in motor temps. All plastic case fans break with big jumps/crashes, so I would recommend using the YR aluminum case fans which don't break.

I had my first run yesterday and it was 89 degrees F and sunny. My Motor got up to about 148 F with a 15t pinion on a 2250kv motor. I'm currently only using the ESC fan, and not using a motor fan. Will continue this way for now.

I got 2200kv motor (CC), trencher tires, and all of m2c braces. the mamba monster x logs temp and it hit 200 one time. No way I can fit the yeah racing dual fan kit, would love to but no room. ordered the CC fan for the 1515 motor but looks crappy not here yet. Any other heat sinks or fans out there that fit the mt410 stock chassis with mitch's braces? I just don't run it hard when it's hot and we are in a heat wave !

I got 2200kv motor (CC), trencher tires, and all of m2c braces. the mamba monster x logs temp and it hit 200 one time. No way I can fit the yeah racing dual fan kit, would love to but no room. ordered the CC fan for the 1515 motor but looks crappy not here yet. Any other heat sinks or fans out there that fit the mt410 stock chassis with mitch's braces? I just don't run it hard when it's hot and we are in a heat wave !
As mentioned above, I tend to not use a fan on the motor. One less part to maintain.

Yeah Racing is a good solution if you have to run fans.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272114179295

In my experience m2c 6905 v2 clears better than stock plastic.

As mentioned above, I tend to not use a fan on the motor. One less part to maintain.

Yeah Racing is a good solution if you have to run fans.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/272114179295

In my experience m2c 6905 v2 clears better than stock plastic.
Ya this and I’ve had issues fitting my fan under the body on my EB48.4. With such low clearences I’ve wondered how much air it’s actually flowing and moving around. I found if you don’t mind to, cut cooling holes in the body. On the buggy for example I cut 3 smaller holes in the front windshield, and 2 holes on the rear of the cab for air to flow threw over the esc and motor areas and it works well. Also correct gearing as mentioned above helps a lot

Recent Popular Liked

Back