• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410 2.0 What do people use to clean their SCT?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den-889

Reaction score
I have been watching some videos on building diff's and shock's in preparation for my fist kit build. It's an exciting transition going from a basic RTR to the SCT 410 2.0 platform!

One of the videos that I saw mentioned using a product called Nitro Clean as being a good product for cleaning excess oil from surfaces. It mentioned that Nitro Clean was good for removing dirt and other contaminants leaving no residue behind as it has a 100% evaporation rate. It’s also supposedly good for cleaning electronics and safe to use on plastics.

I don’t believe the Nitro Clean product is available here in Australia.

Is Nitro Clean similar to other degreasers?

Other forums say using denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) works just as well, whether it’s being used straight or mixed 50/50 with water.

How is using something like Nitro Clean different to denatured alcohol?

Is using Nitro Clean, degreasers, denatured alcohol or other cleaning products harmful to the plastics used in RC cars, or to the O-rings/seals/bearings?

Are there any cleaning products that should be avoided?

What do other people use to clean their cars?

I use pretty girls every chance I get...

1700793852279.png

but seriously, I use any brand of furniture polish and then spray with compressed air to give a "like new" finish that won't attract dirt.

1700793980638.png

All depends on the severity of the dirt. Brushes, and compressed air a given for most days. Once, or twice a year I stupidly go muddin' and ask myself, "Is it worth it?" Two ~ three rounds of Foaming Crystal Simple Green, and compressed air...
RC Cleaning 2.jpg

If it's just dirt/dust, and loose debris after a run, then I just use compressed air.

If doing a complete end of season tear down/rebuild (like shown below), or prepping to sell, then it's normal Simple Green (50/50 water dilution mix)/toothbrush for scrubbing. Naphtha for doing diff fluid overhauls, and bearing cleaning. CRC QD Electronics Cleaner for degreasing, motor cleaning, shock cleaning, and sometimes bearing blasting. Pledge, or favorite silicone spray, misting on the plastics afterwards.
IMG_20231122_055423753_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231122_080922674_HDR.jpg

People that go to extremes using a shower, power washer, sink, dishwasher :oops:🤣 etc., etc., this involves water and a person needs to have an anti-rust program/regimen to go with it. Lots of ways to go about cleaning, and there are lots of formulas/products that people choose to use that make cleaning easier. It all depends on how far you want to take it. Bottom line is, "elbow grease" is going to be evolved.

Radio Control Car Action had a cleaning mixture "back in the day" that was super popular.... I think this is it:
1700845828982.png

Last edited:
Being a little more frugal, I started hunting around. Found something at Lowe's called GoofOff, tried it and it seems work pretty well. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Goof-Off-32-fl-oz-Degreaser/1000092213 , I used SimpleGreen for a bit before someone pointed out that it causes rusting, and sure enough I found that to be true on some of my parts. GoofOff does not cause rusting, and living in the south with red clay it does a great job of removing the problems. I spray it on, wait a short bit, then air hose it all off.
After the cleanup, I then spray a thin layer of dry silicone treatment https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blaster-Hardware-Lubricant/1066849 on everything, which makes everything much easier to cleanup the next time. I still use SimpleGreen on my tires, but that's about all.

Recent Popular Liked

Back