• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Tekno 1/8 drivetrain durability/wear rate compared to Arrma

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Driving Style
Basher
I currently have an Arrma Talion V3 and am looking for a car that is better quality and more precisely made.

I am interested in the ET48.3 specifically. One of my main issues with the Talion is how quickly the drivetrain wears out.

Every few weeks/few dozen runs I have to replace diff outdrives, driveshafts (mostly centre) and input cups for the diffs. This cost quite a lot of money as a complete refresh of these parts costs £118!

The car is slightly modified including a Hobbywing MAX8 and a Hobbystar 4082 1600kv running 20t pinion and stock katar tyres.

Punch is set to 2/5 and I drive on grass.

My question is, do the Tekno 1/8 scales have better drivetrains in terms of wear rate? The Arrma drivetrain has never broken on me it just wears out. Because a Tekno kit is so expensive I want to know if it will be cheaper to run due to not having to replace parts as often.

I would really appreciate your response on this.

I don't own the ET48.3 anymore but I had about 2 years of use on that chassis before I sold it... all original shafts and out drives without a hint of any wear. The secret is to replace the pins on the shafts when you see any flat spots starting to form, pins are super cheap and will save you a fortune on parts:
Pin Replacement Tools

I noticed if you keep up on replacing the pins in the dog bones then the out drives last a really long time, for me anyhow, years in my case.

I get the pins from Ebay, they are usually listed as "stainless steel dowel pins" and the ones I get are usually shipped from China.

Now the pin tool is a must but I think I have heard some people using bicycle chain repair tools for the same application. You would just need to do a little research on the tips so you can get one that will be the appropriate size.

I get the pins from Ebay, they are usually listed as "stainless steel dowel pins" and the ones I get are usually shipped from China.

Now the pin tool is a must but I think I have heard some people using bicycle chain repair tools for the same application. You would just need to do a little research on the tips so you can get one that will be the appropriate size.
What dimensions are the pins so I can have a look?

I am going by memory and I also don't have an ET48, but I believe my EB48 has the same size pins. I think they are 3mmx14mm. But I would double check to be safe.

I am going by memory and I also don't have an ET48, but I believe my EB48 has the same size pins. I think they are 3mmx14mm. But I would double check to be safe.
Thanks for that. My local hobby shop sells those pins so I will have a look at a removal tool.

The whole objective with this is to have a car that is cheaper to run the Talion. Therefore if a tekno is more durable and maintenance is cheaper then it will be perfect.

Tekno uses much higher quality parts than what comes on RTR vehicles. The rear diff outdrives will get the most wear but like everyone has mentioned, replace the pins for a longer life.

Here is the tool you need, as mentioned to me by other forum members it pays for itself from day one.

http://www.activepowersports.com/mu...Bb7nMwCt4DW9NaiqN0lShv7lR0WxJrWwaAtnPEALw_wcB
I currently have an Arrma Talion V3 and am looking for a car that is better quality and more precisely made.

I am interested in the ET48.3 specifically. One of my main issues with the Talion is how quickly the drivetrain wears out.

Every few weeks/few dozen runs I have to replace diff outdrives, driveshafts (mostly centre) and input cups for the diffs. This cost quite a lot of money as a complete refresh of these parts costs £118!

The car is slightly modified including a Hobbywing MAX8 and a Hobbystar 4082 1600kv running 20t pinion and stock katar tyres.

Punch is set to 2/5 and I drive on grass.

My question is, do the Tekno 1/8 scales have better drivetrains in terms of wear rate? The Arrma drivetrain has never broken on me it just wears out. Because a Tekno kit is so expensive I want to know if it will be cheaper to run due to not having to replace parts as often.

I would really appreciate your response on this.
I have to respond because I am a retarded and haven't changed the pins and honestly didn't know about the tool that Bill mentioned and think I like Bill and his blog looks spectacular I especially like the way he so elegantly informs everybody on his views of Traxxas (which I agree with) back on topic as far as durability on the drive line and over all Tekno line they are tanks I am continuisly amazed at how durable they are. I have both the truggy and buggy which I got when realizing racing was something that interested me much more than I would of thought and I have taken way worse impacts on the track then I ever did bashing and with the truggy the only week spot I have found was the spur gears due to the chasis flex and it took quite some time to find that out that being said IMO the flex might be the very thing that makes it the fastest thing around the track the thing is almost cheating it handles so good. I have not had any issues other than wearing out a couple of bearings. I got my Tekno's strictly for the track and find myself having too bash with them due to the fact that all 15 of my other vehicles are broke or just don't bring the pure joy they Doo. And thanks for the link to your site Bill I'm looking forward to seeing what other information you share.

@Nicochau I just ordered that very pin removal tool an hour ago on eBay. There were several sellers offering Hudy tools, but they were over $100, and that seemed kinda extreme.

I have 3 Tekno rigs including the ET48.3, and my buddy has the Aarma Kraton. The difference in quality is massive. The difference in fit and finish is massive. After 30 seconds of driving both cars you can tell that one is a RTR designed to be cheap and fast while the other is a true race vehicle that is also super durable. You wont be disapointed in making the switch.

I have 3 Tekno rigs including the ET48.3, and my buddy has the Aarma Kraton. The difference in quality is massive. The difference in fit and finish is massive. After 30 seconds of driving both cars you can tell that one is a RTR designed to be cheap and fast while the other is a true race vehicle that is also super durable. You wont be disapointed in making the switch.
Out of curiosity. How often do you do maintenance on your ET48.3? (Specifically the driveline)

I've been looking at the cost of parts for the Tekno and they are even more than Arrma! I still need some assurance that the parts should last longer.

Recent Popular Liked

Back