• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Shock settings for big air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirkracing

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB410
  2. EB48
  3. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
Hi all,

I love how well my ET48 handles out of the box (built per the manual, everything stock). However, that setup is largely for racing, and the only thing I do is bashing. In particular, I like big air (about 10-15 feet high).

Currently I get a lot of chassis slap, particularly on asphalt (I don’t usually jump as high on asphalt, but even from 6-8 feet the chassis slaps).

Can you all tell me how to set up the shocks for jumping?

Questions I have:
-Oil weight front and rear
-Pistons (the kit came with two sets)
-Springs (kit springs feel soft to me)
-Pre-load / ride height
-Mounting positions

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!!

I can't comment on all variables, but the orange springs and heavier oil...800 to 900cst will help. I don't think chassis slap is ever completely eliminated as the chassis will hit ground before shocks fully compress...which I believe is by design to protect shocks from damage. What tires are you running?

I agree with Jason, definitely want to go with the hardest springs you can find and thicker fluid... if possible I would look into building a landing ramp for your jump, this will significantly reduce the chance of a hard chassis slap.

Main reason why you don't want those hard slaps is because it can damage your ESC :(

Thanks guys!

My setup is:
-TP Power 4050 motor (about 100 grams heavier than normal truggy motor)
-Gens Ace 4500 6s lipo
-Mamba Max Monster esc
- Speedtreads 1/8 Devices tires (highly recommend these by the way). These measure 6.5” in diameter by 3.5” wide.

All in all it is a little heavier than stock but not wildly so, perhaps 10% more.

Other than 80k oil in the center diff everything is setup and built per the manual.

Orange springs all around and somewhere in the neighborhood of 700 to 900 cst shock oil. I personally use 800 atm.

Kyosho has the strongest springs afaik. I use them on my MT410 to allow chassis slap using dboot backflips, which requires the shocks in the worst possible position and thus super hard springs to get the arms to be horizontal at rest.
With thick oil it takes care of huge air without issue.

Hi all,

I love how well my ET48 handles out of the box (built per the manual, everything stock). However, that setup is largely for racing, and the only thing I do is bashing. In particular, I like big air (about 10-15 feet high).

Currently I get a lot of chassis slap, particularly on asphalt (I don’t usually jump as high on asphalt, but even from 6-8 feet the chassis slaps).

Can you all tell me how to set up the shocks for jumping?

Questions I have:
-Oil weight front and rear
-Pistons (the kit came with two sets)
-Springs (kit springs feel soft to me)
-Pre-load / ride height
-Mounting positions

Anything else I am missing?

Thanks!!

I installed the orange springs, which are the stiffest Tekno offers for the ET48.3, and also ordered a few sets of blank pistons to drill my own setups. When i set it up for big air i go with the orange springs and i run at least 50 wt TLR oil with the sealed shock setup, which is a bit stiffer up top than the vented and emulsion which i run on my 2 other Tekno's. I typically use 8x1.2 or 6 x 1.3 pistons and run the preload adjusters pretty much all the way down, raising the ride height all the way up. Lastly i usually move the bottom shock position to the farthest inner hole on the arm. For bashing I also have the bigger Proline 3.8" 1/2 offset wheels with the MX Badlands, Super Swampers and the Trenchers, which are all big enough that the chassis really has a hard time slapping simply because the tires are big enough that the suspension bottoms out before the chassis hits the ground. It still can, but its much more difficult than with the regular truggy tires and wheels that i run when im racing at the track. You can play with the top shock mointing position as well. However, getting 10 to 15 feet of air is going to cause chassis slap no matter what, and anything much over 5 feet on concrete will too if you flat land it. You just need to get the stiffest ;at it will make the truggy handle like poop in other conditions because eveything woll be so stiff and high.

Recent Popular Liked

Back