• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48 2.1 Shock Towers that team drivers use

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brodieab

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I've been noticing in many posts Tekno has with their team drivers they always have modified shock towers. Are those just ground down and cut from the normal towers or a whole different part? I have an extra set I was considering cutting down but the geometry looks different in pictures than what it would turn out like. It almost looks too perfect to be a homemade job. I'm not currently a sponsored driver, just looking to go faster/try something different lol. Some high-res pics from DNC really made the differences obvious. I wish I could buy these towers from somewhere.

1711046508633.png

1711046610095.png

Last time I spoke to Jared Wiggins about his shock towers was about a month ago and he said he had to cut his own from scrap aluminum. Wasn't clear if they had a template that was being passed around, I think they simply lay the OEM tower on the scrap metal and start drilling holes. The majority of TEKNO team drivers in my area have since been making their own custom towers to get more flex which in turn generates more traction.

I no longer run TEKNO so I have no insider information other than what JW shared with me.

I couldn’t use them. If you rarely end up upside down you might be good. Lol

The geometry is identical to the current lightweight towers. The only difference is that the left and right sides aren't connected at the top to allow for additional flex.

My towers would be bent by the second qualifier lol. Off topic, but what's the advantage of having the shock collars turned around? Unless I'm missing something, how is the sway bar not rattling around with the collars not supported inside the bearing?

My towers would be bent by the second qualifier lol. Off topic, but what's the advantage of having the shock collars turned around? Unless I'm missing something, how is the sway bar not rattling around with the collars not supported inside the bearing?

Shock collars pictured above appear to be installed with the lip down to capture the springs.

Are you referring to the sway bar collars instead?
1711467345125.png

There's a lot of assumptions going on with that photo that I would probably contact JW directly and ask him.

Are those OEM sway bar collars or a new prototype part?
Is he using OEM bearings in the sway bar mount?

IF and that a big "IF" he was inducing slop between the ID of the bearing and the sway bar, then I would make some sort of guess that it may offer a progressive feel with more initial grip between the slop and then reduce the level of grip as the sway bar actuates.

Having switched to a different brand of car that has more slop around the sway bar assembly, I've noticed it tends to offer more grip than the 2.0 TEKNO I used to run, and the car would tend to get even more grip as all the parts break in... where more slop in the ball links will create more grip.

We've found that they're as durable, if not more durable, than the new lightweight towers (TKR9268D - front tower and TKR9269D - rear tower) we offer.

IF and that a big "IF" he was inducing slop between the ID of the bearing and the sway bar, then I would make some sort of guess that it may offer a progressive feel with more initial grip between the slop and then reduce the level of grip as the sway bar actuates.

Having switched to a different brand of car that has more slop around the sway bar assembly, I've noticed it tends to offer more grip than the 2.0 TEKNO I used to run, and the car would tend to get even more grip as all the parts break in... where more slop in the ball links will create more grip.
👆This guy... :cool:

Thanks for the comments y'all, I appreciate the insight!

Recent Popular Liked

Back