• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48 2.0 Carbon shock towers: any drawbacks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntoniusBlock

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
Driving Style
Racer
I just discovered there are carbon upgrades for the shock towers. Hard as steel, less weight, lower center of gravity. No possibility of bent pieces: they are perfect or broken.

Are there any drawbacks at all, apart from $80 (well, I'm from Europe so around 80€) less in my wallet?

If you're a clean driver and want the extra tuning options offered by the Team Thornhill Carbon towers, then they can be well worth the investment to get a few tenths faster on your lap times ;)

If you're a sportsman level driver who wrecks often, then I would stay with the aluminum towers as the carbon towers are not as durable.... yes the carbon towers can take a reasonable amount of abuse, but they will eventually break if you keep wrecking lap after lap... etc

I would also recommend an aluminum tower if you’re a newbie because I had a carbon fiber tower on my 1/10 and it snapped in half after using it for a few months.

Carbon can be durable it you need to prep it, running it as it’s supplied it will just delaminate after a few crashes.

I use it in other applications and it’s very durable but you have to prep it right, sand all the cut faces and put a very light chamfer on the edges, some will say to use CA glue but really you want to use a two part epoxy and run a bead around the exposed edge, take your time and build up 2-3 layers and then lightly sand.

periodically check and sand back any damage and re-coat.

I use CF for splitter in my race cars and my crawlers run CF chassis rails which are constantly being dragged over rocks etc.

But going back to what Bill said all of the above is an extreme for very little gain for the vast majority, aluminium works so my advice would be to stick with it 👍🏼

Thank you all. I'm a newbie at rc offroad racing so I can expect "a few" crashes in the near future, so it looks like I should better stick to aluminum.

Recent Popular Liked

Back