• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Recommendations for motor and esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieTuna

Reaction score
Hey everybody...
Looking for a reliable motor and esc to install in my MT410 kit that's arriving Tuesday. I will be using 4 cell lipos only in this rig. Please help me out with your recommendations. Thanks to all.
CharlieTuna

I have a measly blx185 combo in mine, couldn't ask for more, couldn't really use it. I run a small track though, so..
What's the budget? Intended use?

A BLX take out from someone like Jenny's can be a buget option though some don't have good luck with reliability. A MT410 on 4S most would be in the 1900 to 2200KV range for the motor. Some here have gone 1650KV and geared up for heat reasons. Looking for something waterproof even if you don't intend to get wet you can find those hidden puddles sometimes. I went Castle MambaX and 1515 2200KV with dual fans and have stayed below 175F running multiple packs on hot days. Sensored isn't needed and can save some bucks if you go without

That's me☝️ Low budget builds. The MT410 is so light it doesn't need much to make it fly.
I run 4s, 18t pinion with the blx system. Backflip LP's, ds3225 servo. Servo is a stretch, shoulda gone 3235.
No fans, 130 max temp in 90's summer days..
Just throwing it out there.
I have no Castle experience, I know they're highly regarded by many.
My MT410 is going on 2 years old, been a joy to own. Just finished building an SCT410.3, it's equally awesome!!

I've bought quite a few take off motors and esc's from Jennys. Can't beat the price if you're okay with rtr power. I have the Team Corally combo in a couple rigs that I got from JRC. The TC combo is pretty stout for rtr electronics IMO.

I have a measly blx185 combo in mine, couldn't ask for more, couldn't really use it. I run a small track though, so..
What's the budget? Intended use?
Hey KnowAir... Thanks for responding. I wanted a decent 4x4 MT and liked what I read about the 410 so ordered it. This rig is for bashing and just having fun with it in general. I'll only be using 4s but would like some buffer in the motor and esc. Budget? Whatever for a decent, reliable setup.

Hey KnowAir... Thanks for responding. I wanted a decent 4x4 MT and liked what I read about the 410 so ordered it. This rig is for bashing and just having fun with it in general. I'll only be using 4s but would like some buffer in the motor and esc. Budget? Whatever for a decent, reliable setup.
The Arrma 6s motor that used to come with the BLX185 is a 2050kv 4074 can. perfect for the MT410 on 4s if you ask me. And it rips!

RCjuice.com has a lot of great options as well.

The Arrma 6s motor that used to come with the BLX185 is a 2050kv 4074 can. perfect for the MT410 on 4s if you ask me. And it rips!

RCjuice.com has a lot of great options as well.
Yes, I agree. Forgot to mention can size. 4274 fits perfectly in the MT. It's possible to go bigger by relocating the esc, but really not necessary with the MT being so light. Also, bigger motors are more likely to tear up the drive line.
As others have stated, 1800-2200kv would be my choice.
Rc juice does have some nice deals on motors. I've heard good things about the Hobbystar motors, considering the price point.
BTW, I think the Tekno was a fine choice.
Not many kits left in the market these days unfortunately, the MT410 is the only basher kit that I'm aware of. Sad IMO.

That's me☝️ Low budget builds. The MT410 is so light it doesn't need much to make it fly.
I run 4s, 18t pinion with the blx system. Backflip LP's, ds3225 servo. Servo is a stretch, shoulda gone 3235.
No fans, 130 max temp in 90's summer days..
Just throwing it out there.
I have no Castle experience, I know they're highly regarded by many.
My MT410 is going on 2 years old, been a joy to own. Just finished building an SCT410.3, it's equally awesome!!
Hey KA..
I ordered the Backflip lp 4s tires and Reefs 500Raw servo. Still trying to decide on motor and esc.

Hey KA..
I ordered the Backflip lp 4s tires and Reefs 500Raw servo. Still trying to decide on motor and esc.
Based on your servo choice, I'm guessing price isn't too much concern,LOL. Good for you, heard many good things about Reefs.
With that said, a Castle system might be a good choice, actually I know it is based on specs and popularity.
I believe they have an application guide on their site to help you select the right system for your application.
There's also the new Max8 G2 system from Hobbywing. Sensored ready. Pretty new yet, but Hobbywing is certainly a reliable, economical choice IMO.

Hey everybody...
Looking for a reliable motor and esc to install in my MT410 kit that's arriving Tuesday. I will be using 4 cell lipos only in this rig. Please help me out with your recommendations. Thanks to all.
CharlieTuna
Would this be a good choice for the MT410 Kit?

Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV)​

Thanks.

Would this be a good choice for the MT410 Kit?

Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV)​

Thanks.
IDK, the fixed BEC output of 5.5v isn't going to keep the Reefs servo happy IMO. I think it would be wise to step up to the next system..MM2, only $20 more, but it gives adjustable BEC output. While Castle doesn't publish exact amperage ratings for the esc's, the fact that the Sidewinder is rated to an 11lb rig and MM2 for up to 15lb pretty much sums it up IMO.
Another thing that I prefer to do is have a power system with some overhead left in it, so it's not getting pushed to it's limit routinely. I find electronics last much longer this way.
Both combos include the same motor it looks like. Me, for the extra $20,MM2. For even more overhead(not needed), MMX. Considerably more $ though.

Oh, one other thing..kinda significant, the MMX is quite large, I don't think it'll fit in the stock location in the MT410. Just thought of that.

Oh, one other thing..kinda significant, the MMX is quite large, I don't think it'll fit in the stock location in the MT410. Just thought of that.
Ok buddy, thanks for the info. I'll keep looking. Yeah, I'd like a little overkill.

You bet. The MT410 is essentially a 1/10 chassis with long suspension arms(ET48). So with that, the chassis is pretty tight. The blx185 is pretty standard 1/8 combo. Here's a couple picks just for reference. Disregard my kindergarten wiring,LOL.

Attachments

• 20220925_135248.jpg
    20220925_135248.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 146
  • 20220925_134922.jpg
    20220925_134922.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 144
You bet. The MT410 is essentially a 1/10 chassis with long suspension arms(ET48). So with that, the chassis is pretty tight. The blx185 is pretty standard 1/8 combo. Here's a couple picks just for reference. Disregard my kindergarten wiring,LOL.
I was looking at the HW Max 8 G2 Combo 4274SL (sensorless), 2250KV. Do you think this combo would fit right in without having to reposition the ESC? I appreciate your taking the time with all my questions, I don't want to screw up and buy the wrong setup.

I was looking at the HW Max 8 G2 Combo 4274SL (sensorless), 2250KV. Do you think this combo would fit right in without having to reposition the ESC? I appreciate your taking the time with all my questions, I don't want to screw up and buy the wrong setup.
It should be okay with the backflip LP's since they're relatively lightweight. If you decide to go bigger on tires, like say badlands, trenchers or backflip mt's you may start running hot on the motor. Fans can keep things in check for sure, I believe you'd be fine with it, just make sure you keep an eye on motor temps, add quality fan(s) and mounts if needed.
The mt410 should run well with that combo.

It should be okay with the backflip LP's since they're relatively lightweight. If you decide to go bigger on tires, like say badlands, trenchers or backflip mt's you may start running hot on the motor. Fans can keep things in check for sure, I believe you'd be fine with it, just make sure you keep an eye on motor temps, add quality fan(s) and mounts if needed.
The mt410 should run well with that combo.
10-4 KA...
Thanks alot for the help. I'll get that ordered. Fans....yeah I run fans on all the rigs I have. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. Just feel better with the added protection.
Thanks

10-4 KA...
Thanks alot for the help. I'll get that ordered. Fans....yeah I run fans on all the rigs I have. I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy. Just feel better with the added protection.
Thanks
Hey bud, I just found out that new max8 g2 combo with 2250kv may require an esc relocation to fit. The motor is 42x78..my apologies, I thought it was a 42x74..
Have a look at this thread..
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/new-build-and-new-hobbywing-electronics-questions.2804/

Recent Popular Liked

Back