• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Lipo storage...........Bags? Bunkers? Ammo Cans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you remove the rubber seal, you should be fine. The point is to allow the gases to vent. If you don't, a sealed ammo can will build pressure until it explodes and possibly sends metal shrapnel everywhere. You want to vent the gas/pressure while minimizing the possibility of flames igniting nearby materials.

This is how I store mine. I got an ammo can from harbor freight. Removed the seal on the lid. When charging I just sit the battery down next to my charger and let it do it’s thing.

I’m the UK so although it’s possible to get an ammo box they’re expensive via eBay.

Instead I bought a metal cash box at an office supplies store, took out the plastic coin insert, and use that. The Lipos are stored in a Lipo bag inside the cash box which is locked shut so can’t be tampered with by the kids. The cash box doesn’t have a seal so no worries about pressure build up if the worst were to happen. It’s possible to buy various sized cash boxes depending how many batteries you want it to hold.

Personally I carry them in a Lipo bag when I’m out but reading this thread I think I need to buy a smaller cash box to carry what I’m using with the car on the day.

Hello @Naim ,

First of all, you need to consider how a Lipo works:
  • Lipo wear out by increasing its internal resistance. So your first step is to have an IR tester that will let you know where do you stand with each of your packs. Good chargers have that feature included, I check it all the time to know where each pack stands. Any cell that goes above 20mOhms and the pack is retired.
  • Second, your risk zone is during fast charging or discharging. When your IR starts to build up, the resistance creates heat and heat creates all sorts of issues including (for completely worn out packs) possible combustion. Which means that your risk is during charging and running phases. If your packs are in good shape, good IR, no contact issue between cells, even the charging phase is low risk. Contact / soldering issues can create a hazard by over charging some cells. Always get a read of individual cell voltage to make sure things read and charge well on the charger. When I’m charging outside of home, i put the packs in a pan and the pan on a rather isolating material.
  • Last, Lipo cells can start a spontaneous combustion when in contact with air. Make sure they are well protected and well attached to the truck. Your biggest risk is a puncture while bashing.
Bottom line, don’t worry too much about storage (you seem to be doing the right things already) or transport (you’ll be around). That’s not when you have much risk. Get a good charger that gives you all that intel about your packs. Gorilla tape your packs if the casing starts to break, make sure those cells are protected. That’s what matters most at the end.

Last edited:
I’m the UK so although it’s possible to get an ammo box they’re expensive via eBay.

Instead I bought a metal cash box at an office supplies store, took out the plastic coin insert, and use that. The Lipos are stored in a Lipo bag inside the cash box which is locked shut so can’t be tampered with by the kids. The cash box doesn’t have a seal so no worries about pressure build up if the worst were to happen. It’s possible to buy various sized cash boxes depending how many batteries you want it to hold.

Personally I carry them in a Lipo bag when I’m out but reading this thread I think I need to buy a smaller cash box to carry what I’m using with the car on the day.
Just picked an ammo box up from Army surplus in the UK for £9.50

I’m in the U.K. as well. I purchased new ammo cans from eBay. Yes they cost more, but certainly cheaper than replacing other packs that aren’t affected and/or my car collection where everything is stored.
I will however be removing the seal.

I purchased a Bat-Safe a couple weeks ago. It’s purpose built for charging lipos!
4295490C-4F68-4647-9111-B08F39964FE2.jpeg

1488F5E1-D5A1-40A0-91D5-C0E4A42E613B.jpeg

Recent Popular Liked

Back