• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Lipo storage...........Bags? Bunkers? Ammo Cans?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooTall

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
Post up and let us know what you store and/or charge your Lipo's in.

Been trying to determine the best way to stay safe, but yet be flexible for portability. I have bags, but am seeing that for bigger packs (4S or above) they might not do much of anything for protection.

Thanks
TT

I have a small fireproof safe that I keep them in, in my basement. It just sits on the concrete floor. When I take them anywhere to use, I just throw them in a lipo bag. That's about all I do.

I keep my LiPo batteries in an old metal army ammo box out in the garage.

I break all the rules... I charge/store my LiPo's in my cars to save time because I like to run multiple classes and do good just to get them charged in time for the next round.

I have seen rare cases where a LiPo burst into flames at the track and it's usually during the middle of a race where a bad crash caused one of the cells to puncture... there have been a couple times were packs blew up during a charge cycle and in both cases it was because the guys were over volting or charging their packs at 30A, doh!

My strategy is that a LiPo fire in my car should cause minimal damage to my chassis and it would be easier to grab the car and take it outside in the event of a fire. I have seen a LiPo shoot like a sky rocket across the pit room which can be far more dangerous, and that pack was actually in a charging bag which proved to be ineffective though I don't think the guy properly sealed the bag with the velcro flap.

If you decide to use a steel can, like an ammo box, I would definitely make sure it has vented holes, otherwise you could create a backdraft in a sealed container which will turn the can into a bomb when the lid in opened and there was a fire inside, ouch!

I keep my lipos in my microwave oven. Way in the back so they don’t get in the way when I’m heating up food. It’s a metal box so I figure it’s one of the safest places.

50cal ammo can, for storage and transport. For charging I have lipo bags, but only use them about 20% of the time...

I keep my lipos in my microwave oven. Way in the back so they don’t get in the way when I’m heating up food. It’s a metal box so I figure it’s one of the safest places.

ha ha.

I stored mine in a cheap small steel tool box, but it seems to have disappeared... i forgot all about it in fact, now i need to look for that thing...

I actually store and charge my lipos right on my wooden workbench. Lipo bags are a scam. I have blown up some lipos running in cars....but I’ve never heard of a lipo just catching on fire sitting unused.
I ain’t worried one bit.

I charge my lipos on my wooden workbench in my basement but I never leave them unattended while charging. I store them in a metal ammo can with two holes drilled in the top for venting in case of a fire. I primarily use the metal can because I use XT150 connectors where the positive can plug into the negative and short out and carrying 20+ lipos is a pain without something to carry them in. I store my lipos with traxxas connectors on the workbench though.

Lipo bags on the charge and discharge cycle. Ammo Can with seal removed for long tern storage and one of those cheapo alum briefcase things from Home Depot with foam liners. Be cautious but not overboard. I have shorted a ton of lipos for a split second and no issues. On my XT150's i just use the built in clip. On my 8mm plugs for the 1/5 scale i use a coax rubber tip that comes wiht the cable when shipped. On the XT60/90's i use an old connector with no plus to cap them off during transport.

Ammo can for sure....but I line it to avoid shorts...metal and all...

Very informative video @Charlie Hall. I'm using an old metal ammo can which still has the seal but I've also drilled 3 small holds into it. By the looks of the video I should survive fairly well, plus the ammo case rests up against a large Meilink safe as well so I'm not to terribly worried that will catch on fire. :)

Ammo box with the seal removed. Here is an excellent video comparing various methods.

Great Video!

Side note, I remove only 3 sides of the seal in my can. I left the seal at the latch side, just to give some 'spring' so the latch is secure.

I store mine in a lipo safe bag that is then put inside a metal ammo box.

Honestly I've been just keeping them on a shelf, but make sure I check the voltages to ensure they are at storage levels. I just ordered some lipo sacks and will probably keep them in a ammo box as well moving forward.

I keep my batteries in a lipo bag in an ammo case as well. Hear conflicting opinions on drilling holes though

I keep my batteries in a lipo bag in an ammo case as well. Hear conflicting opinions on drilling holes though

If you remove the rubber seal, you should be fine. The point is to allow the gases to vent. If you don't, a sealed ammo can will build pressure until it explodes and possibly sends metal shrapnel everywhere. You want to vent the gas/pressure while minimizing the possibility of flames igniting nearby materials.

Recent Popular Liked

Back