• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48.3 Help me build a Speedster ... 48.3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpassedu

Reaction score
Hi all , new member . It just so happens I have a EB48.3 I am not using and would like to build a street buggy with it for fun. I don't have much time to get to the track these days. I want to use most of the parts I have laying around. So a Castle 2650kv motor & Mamba Monster 2 esc will go into it. I will pick up some grp or sweep on road tires & I believe it has the stock 44t plastic spur. So a few question's : Should I go with the optional metal spur gear ? , What Pinion would you use for lets say 100mph plus speeds ? I think i'll start with 4s but also own some 6s as well & I know the 2650kv motor can handle it as I have done something similar on another platform in the past. Also if anyone can help , the springs are confusing but I'd like something a bit stiffer , if anyone can send a link ? So I ask you all , please help me build Speedster . Ty

hitting the 100mph mark is not easy to do, especially on 4S, or even 6S for that matter, I would plan to go with an 8S setup to make it easier to hit 100mph.

Not sure how large of a pinion you can fit (Tekno sells up to a 20T), but as a preference I like the plastic gears better simply because they are self lubricating and it's less expensive to only have to replace a worn spur gear than to have to replace both a worn metal spur and metal pinion. Metal spurs are also a lot louder which I don't particularly care for either.

I would invest in a temp gun and limit your speed runs to let the electronics cool when you over gear it.

Best of luck!

hitting the 100mph mark is not easy to do, especially on 4S, or even 6S for that matter, I would plan to go with an 8S setup to make it easier to hit 100mph.

Not sure how large of a pinion you can fit (Tekno sells up to a 20T), but as a preference I like the plastic gears better simply because they are self lubricating and it's less expensive to only have to replace a worn spur gear than to have to replace both a worn metal spur and metal pinion. Metal spurs are also a lot louder which I don't particularly care for either.

I would invest in a temp gun and limit your speed runs to let the electronics cool when you over gear it.

Best of luck!
Ty Bill , I am hitting 100 with a Arrma kraton on 6s so with this Tekno it should be even easier. Maybe not on 4s but hoping since it is not heavy at all it may just do it on 4s. 8s is out of the question for me , to much weight for this buggy.

@Overkill will likely have some suggestions. He has an EB48 using the ET chassis and he has hit over 100mph. I believe he is using a mamba monster xlx and a TP motor. Not sure what gearing he is using.

I know folks that are using the Arrma Typhon to do the very same thing are using spools instead of a center diff and using approximately a 1:1 gear ratio. Not sure if folks using the EB48 are doing the same. There are plenty of how tos to make a spool on YouTube. Pretty simple really.

Last edited:
The steel spur isn’t necessary for what you’re doing. If you want a smaller spur you can use the Fly Ratio 32T which is a direct fit on the Tekno diff case, that will allow up to a 37T pinion. I use the stiffest low frequency springs they offer which is TKR8767 and TKR8776.

This is my EB48.3 buggy. I’ve gone 118mph with a smaller motor on 6S, haven’t made any big motor 8S passes.

8ECE305A-DD1B-4E26-B03B-36D147329070.jpeg

9A56DCA5-8B0A-4FE1-94E9-D8CA0E381167.jpeg

TY & overkill that is a sweet ride . Thing is I don’t want to just do straight passes with it but I want it to be fast but still be able to do some parking lot running with friends as well. What do you think a 4s and 6s May net me in speed using the stock 44t plastic spur and let’s say a 24t pinion I have laying around with the 2650kv castle motor ? When money prevails I will start getting a bit more serious . For now I’d like to try what I have laying around . Ty on the springs , I take it they will fit the eb48 shocks ? I’ll try and order those part #’s soon .

TY & overkill that is a sweet ride . Thing is I don’t want to just do straight passes with it but I want it to be fast but still be able to do some parking lot running with friends as well. What do you think a 4s and 6s May net me in speed using the stock 44t plastic spur and let’s say a 24t pinion I have laying around with the 2650kv castle motor ? When money prevails I will start getting a bit more serious . For now I’d like to try what I have laying around . Ty on the springs , I take it they will fit the eb48 shocks ? I’ll try and order those part #’s soon .
Thanks. I run 6S and a 25T pinion most of the time. There's so many variables when it comes to that. Yes, they are EB springs.

I have a bit of experience making a straight line speedster out of an 1/8th e-buggy. I built a Losi 8ight-E 4.0 a few months back and installed the Castle monster X with the 2200kv motor. I'm not sure if the 2650kv is rated for 6s, at least Castle says they aren't. The Losi also has a 44t spur as the smaller option, and I've been using the plastic one without issue, except for one time when I had a 15t pinion. The biggest pinion size I've been able to fit with a bit of modification to the motor mount is 23t, and with that, 44t spur, a shaved down wing, foam tires (rubber tires make it nearly impossible to control above 70 or so) and 6s I've Gps'd it at 88.3mph. The one problem with gearing them that high is it takes a longer to stop. A lot longer.You need a big area lol. The only way the losi is hitting 100mph on 6s would be if I could somehow fit a 28t - 30t pinion, which would require a custom motor mount. I just dont see 100mph happening with off the shelf stuff. I worked on that losi quite a bit to just get 1mph here and another mph there. I was stuck at 83 for a couple weeks. The sound it makes when it flys by at those speeds is crazy though.

I have a bit of experience making a straight line speedster out of an 1/8th e-buggy. I built a Losi 8ight-E 4.0 a few months back and installed the Castle monster X with the 2200kv motor. I'm not sure if the 2650kv is rated for 6s, at least Castle says they aren't. The Losi also has a 44t spur as the smaller option, and I've been using the plastic one without issue, except for one time when I had a 15t pinion. The biggest pinion size I've been able to fit with a bit of modification to the motor mount is 23t, and with that, 44t spur, a shaved down wing, foam tires (rubber tires make it nearly impossible to control above 70 or so) and 6s I've Gps'd it at 88.3mph. The one problem with gearing them that high is it takes a longer to stop. A lot longer.You need a big area lol. The only way the losi is hitting 100mph on 6s would be if I could somehow fit a 28t - 30t pinion, which would require a custom motor mount. I just dont see 100mph happening with off the shelf stuff. I worked on that losi quite a bit to just get 1mph here and another mph there. I was stuck at 83 for a couple weeks. The sound it makes when it flys by at those speeds is crazy though.
Thank you , the 2650kv is rated for 4s by castle but for years people have been running them on 6s with no issues , they can take as long as you monitor the heat . Super fast motor on 6s , I’d mostly be running it on 4s .

The steel spur isn’t necessary for what you’re doing. If you want a smaller spur you can use the Fly Ratio 32T which is a direct fit on the Tekno diff case, that will allow up to a 37T pinion. I use the stiffest low frequency springs they offer which is TKR8767 and TKR8776.

This is my EB48.3 buggy. I’ve gone 118mph with a smaller motor on 6S, haven’t made any big motor 8S passes.

View attachment 1528

View attachment 1529
What cage is that

Recent Popular Liked

Back