• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Double sided tape?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulWa11

Reaction score
Whats the best option out their for double-sided tape to mount a 1/8 esc?? I've heard of ppl using helicopter gel absorbing tape? Cant find it anywhere.

This is the stuff folks in my area like to use:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-3mm-vibration-absorption-tape-sheet-blue-kyoz8006-3/p476252

I have stopped using it because I still had ESC's get damaged with it... I have since switched brands and exclusively run HobbyWing ESC's in all my cars. HobbyWing tends to last the longest of nearly a dozen brands that I've raced with over the years and HobbyWing offers a deep discount for an RMA on any damaged ESC's outside warranty.

The single most important thing when installing your ESC is to secure it with zip ties around the ESC mount!
I also trim the notch ESC mount so the black plastic is flush with the width of the ESC so you don't warp the ESC mount.

35196660662_f6efd465a5_c.jpg

34975923370_59d638f296_c.jpg

35202084712_f7d6fd236c_c.jpg

It's been 1.5 years since I took these pics and haven't had to touch the ESC since... though I have had to reposition the on/off switch so it sits on top of the Rx box next to the PTX, I had to splice solder the wiring to extend the wire length a couple of inches :)

This is the stuff folks in my area like to use:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/kyosho-3mm-vibration-absorption-tape-sheet-blue-kyoz8006-3/p476252

I have stopped using it because I still had ESC's get damaged with it... I have since switched brands and exclusively run HobbyWing ESC's in all my cars. HobbyWing tends to last the longest of nearly a dozen brands that I've raced with over the years and HobbyWing offers a deep discount for an RMA on any damaged ESC's outside warranty.

The single most important thing when installing your ESC is to secure it with zip ties around the ESC mount!
I also trim the notch ESC mount so the black plastic is flush with the width of the ESC so you don't warp the ESC mount.

that's a great tip about trimming the esc plate notch. I need to do that - mine is all warped because the ESC is sitting on it sideways so it's much narrower than the plate on one side.

Used to use 3m industrial Velcro till it let loose and my pinion ate my ESC feed. Now it's 3m double sided foam tape with a strip of E6000 down the center and a zip tie for good measure. I have craptastic skills behind the Tx and hasn't failed me yet.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Whats the best option out their for double-sided tape to mount a 1/8 esc?? I've heard of ppl using helicopter gel absorbing tape? Cant find it anywhere.
3M double sided with the red backing.holds very strong and doesn't usually leave residue when u remove it. Double or triple it up if u want more inpact absorbtion maybe

I used Gorilla two sided tape and I have noticed my ESC is has shifted a little bit. Gonna try some of these suggestions now.

I use the 3M as well. Found at your local big box hardware store, rated for 25lbs, and sticks like glue.

I use 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 haven't had one come off yet. My Arrma Nero ESC used to come loose all the time, but since using this dual lock, it stays put.

Thanks to all, just ordered a few options to try out.

Switched gears from the 3M stuff. Gorilla clear double sided tape has been in my bashers for the past year with great results. I try to make sure I leave a enough of a gap so as not to let ESCs get side slapped by chassis.

Wonder if rubbing alcohol is being used on both surfaces to be sure they are really clean before the tape is applied.

Wonder if rubbing alcohol is being used on both surfaces to be sure they are really clean before the tape is applied.

Yes absolutely if you want good adhesion.

I use 3M Dual Lock Reclosable Fastener SJ3560 haven't had one come off yet. My Arrma Nero ESC used to come loose all the time, but since using this dual lock, it stays put.

This stuff is what I have purchased to use also. Matter of fact it was this post that made me get it to try it out. This stuff is amazingly tough at holding stuff in place.

3m vhb is what I use. It's the one with the red backing. They use it to mount things on cars so the stuff will hold an esc or receiver nice and solid.