• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Sites that charge SALES TAX!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_User

TF Excellence Award
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Racer
Anybody else notice the increase of sites that are now charging SALES TAX? I just went to put a couple of universal driveshafts into my cart from OmniModels on Ebay to see how much they'd charge to ship two pairs and suddenly there was around a $9 sales tax charge! (where i live it's super high like 10.x%) ... this is a huge bummer.
So then I just checked on Tower Hobbies - BAM, same thing! OMG! I realize 10% isn't much (especially in this hobby) but it does add up quickly and sure killed my shopping mood.
Now i'll be looking around more for places that I can avoid that tax hit. Coupon codes don't even cover it most of the time.
I think this is a new government requirement to get everyone who intentionally buys stuff online to avoid paying sales tax... I'm sure eventually they all will charge tax, but until then I will be avoiding the sites that do. So far none on Amain, might have to buy some expensive stuff soon from them because I'm sure the tax will come there too!

Anybody else got any experiences? Maybe we should make a list of places and whether or not they stick us for sales tax... Not sure if there is any value to anyone but with the high tax rate for my area it is a dealbreaker most of the time.

Tower Hobbies: TAXED

Amain: NO TAX

Haven't noticed it being in CT. Possibly a WA state thing? I'll keep a lookout now tho. I typically order off Ebay for the most part and sometimes A-Main.

Omni and Tower are the same company, both were subsidiaries of Hobbico and have recently been sold to Horizon.

If there is a Horizon warehouse in your state, then you will now have to pay sales tax based on current tax law.

Here's the current scoop on the tax law where the article was just updated a couple weeks ago, it's not clear when the final decision will be made and/or if it will be decided by Congress or the Supreme Court:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ustices-signal-divide-on-internet-sales-taxes

I can guarantee that if the tax law goes into effect, then LHS sales will boom... between free shipping and no sales tax, it's been a no brainer to shop online, however it will be a wash if I have to pay out of state taxes... it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Anybody else notice the increase of sites that are now charging SALES TAX? I just went to put a couple of universal driveshafts into my cart from OmniModels on Ebay to see how much they'd charge to ship two pairs and suddenly there was around a $9 sales tax charge! (where i live it's super high like 10.x%) ... this is a huge bummer.
So then I just checked on Tower Hobbies - BAM, same thing! OMG! I realize 10% isn't much (especially in this hobby) but it does add up quickly and sure killed my shopping mood.
Now i'll be looking around more for places that I can avoid that tax hit. Coupon codes don't even cover it most of the time.
I think this is a new government requirement to get everyone who intentionally buys stuff online to avoid paying sales tax... I'm sure eventually they all will charge tax, but until then I will be avoiding the sites that do. So far none on Amain, might have to buy some expensive stuff soon from them because I'm sure the tax will come there too!

Anybody else got any experiences? Maybe we should make a list of places and whether or not they stick us for sales tax... Not sure if there is any value to anyone but with the high tax rate for my area it is a dealbreaker most of the time.

Tower Hobbies: TAXED

Amain: NO TAX
Ha! That’s so funny because, this weekend I noticed it too. I started shopping on eBay and Amazon. I get taxed from amain. Maybe it is because I live in California.
A penny saved is a penny earned.

Ha! That’s so funny because, this weekend I noticed it too. I started shopping on eBay and Amazon. I get taxed from amain. Maybe it is because I live in California.
A penny saved is a penny earned.

It's been that way for quite awhile. If you purchase from the state you reside in you will have to pay sales tax.

I just went through the checkout at Tower Hobbies and I don't get charged sales tax. I have heard that eventually (pretty soon) all online purchases will get taxed. I'll still buy online since my LHS is over an hour away so it isn't economical for me to do 2 1/2 hours of driving to go get something. I have switched sellers on Amazon before to avoid taxes on larger items and never had a problem but we will see how it goes in the future.

Amazon kills me with tax, they are Seattle-based... so I usually don't buy much from them unless it's somethign I want quickly and/or something I may want to return for free (prime)

It may be a WA state thing that they are on the bandwagon early, I wouldn't be surprised. this state is run poorly, they are always trying to pass ridiculous taxes (Like soda tax) and blow money foolishly and go way over budget on projects. I'm not from here so I guess I can make fun of it but it's frustrating seeing it all the time.

Well I wouldnt be surprised if there was some Horizon warehouse here or something, there are quite a few here, even a HOBBYKING warehouse...

My nearest LHS carries almost nothing for anything 1/8 scale. I can get proline wheels and tires, maybe a body, that's it. oh I think they do carry Tekno pinion gears. I haven't been there in over a year. The one thing I used to regularly buy there is paint.

I just went through the checkout at Tower Hobbies and I don't get charged sales tax. I have heard that eventually (pretty soon) all online purchases will get taxed. I'll still buy online since my LHS is over an hour away so it isn't economical for me to do 2 1/2 hours of driving to go get something. I have switched sellers on Amazon before to avoid taxes on larger items and never had a problem but we will see how it goes in the future.

what state are you in? Assuming you have sales tax where you are?

Active Powersports = Tax if you're keeping a list:)

I am in Minnesota and I think our state sales tax is like 6.5% or something but I don't get charged anything from Tower.

I think it's a per state thing that they have to make happen by a set time but i'm not positive.
Omni and Tower are the same company, both were subsidiaries of Hobbico and have recently been sold to Horizon.

If there is a Horizon warehouse in your state, then you will now have to pay sales tax based on current tax law.

Here's the current scoop on the tax law where the article was just updated a couple weeks ago, it's not clear when the final decision will be made and/or if it will be decided by Congress or the Supreme Court:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ustices-signal-divide-on-internet-sales-taxes

I can guarantee that if the tax law goes into effect, then LHS sales will boom... between free shipping and no sales tax, it's been a no brainer to shop online, however it will be a wash if I have to pay out of state taxes... it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Good info. I'm not so sure about LHS sales "booming" though. For me it's more about convenience. My LHS stock is lacking so I'd have to order everything, and it's a big time suck to stop there. Even if prices were equal I would still shop online instead as long as shipping is free because it saves so much time.

Don't ever buy from them. There are numerous posts on various forums about the poor customer service, deceptive tactics and PayPal schemes that they are famous for.

Reactions: Hye
Living in California... I get taxed from pretty much every major site now.

Don't ever buy from them. There are numerous posts on various forums about the poor customer service, deceptive tactics and PayPal schemes that they are famous for.
Yep! They will list everything as in stock and then after you order and pay for it you will get an email that it has been back ordered.

Yep! They will list everything as in stock and then after you order and pay for it you will get an email that it has been back ordered.

That's shady. never ordered from them and glad to have the warning.

That site is real? They have things at like half price and things that are out of stock everywhere but they seem to have stock. Backflip tires mainly is what I seen them have, but nobody had them anywhere, just seemed shady to me. Good to see it is not a scam site.

edit...read posts after the one I quoted ;)

That site is real? They have things at like half price and things that are out of stock everywhere but they seem to have stock. Backflip tires mainly is what I seen them have, but nobody had them anywhere, just seemed shady to me. Good to see it is not a scam site.

edit...read posts after the one I quoted ;)
Yeah they were talked about on the Arrmaforum too. I ordered "in stock" backflips from them and then got an email the next day saying that I was on the backorder list so I cancelled my order.

Recent Popular Liked

Back