• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Chevys10zr2003 SCT410 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chevys10zr2003

Lifetime Premium!
Supporting Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
  2. SCT410
Driving Style
Basher
I got this in the mail today from the giveaway. Thank you @WoodiE and @Escobear for this vehicle.

I am still waiting on all the other parts that I need to complete the build, which most should be here Monday. I will do a detailed build log with part numbers as I go along.
20180614_213922.jpg

If you plan on running this as a SCT I have a few sets of wheels & tires I'd part with if you're interested. All pretty much like new.

That was very quick indeed. I was surprised at how fast it was delivered. Thank you very much @Pauly for the offer of parting with some rims and tires but I think I am going to go a slightly different approach with this.

With me being a basher and not a racer at all, I hope I don't offend any racers by what I do with this beautiful racing machine!:)

So here are the plans with everything that is ordered......
Pro-Line 2009 Silverado Body 3307-60
Hobbystar Pro4 SCT 3000kv Motor 375-09-CNF
Tekno 16t Pinion TKR4176
Blue Bird Servo BMS-28A
Tekno Aluminum Servo Horn TKR5253B
Tekno 17mm Hub Adapters TKR5570-17
Pro-Line MX28 Premounted Wheels & Tires 10125-18

My goal is to have a more tame small MT, compared to my crazy MT410, if that makes any sense.

The only issue I have is picking out the ESC. I originally purchased the Hobbywing EZRun MAX10 SCT but am now looking at and wondering if I should cancel that and get the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT. The XR8 is capable of slightly more amps, has sensored capability and most importantly to me, has a 6 amp BEC over the MAX10 SCTs 3 amp BEC. I just don't know if it's worth the extra $25 dollars though. My Amain order hasn't shipped yet, so I could still cancel it and order the XR8 if I wanted to.

Edit: For the radio I will most likely use the system out of my old 2wd Slash until Futaba inventory starts coming back so that I can order a receiver for my 4PLS.

I'd go with the sensored ESC, you may not have a sensored motor now but it's nice to have the option... $25 is nothing in this hobby as we all know!

I'd go with the sensored ESC, you may not have a sensored motor now but it's nice to have the option... $25 is nothing in this hobby as we all know!
The motor I got is sensored. Is there any benefit besides smoothness to running it as a sensored motor instead of sensorless?

The motor I got is sensored. Is there any benefit besides smoothness to running it as a sensored motor instead of sensorless?

you wont get any of that low speed cogging, its pure smoothness at the slowest speed. i like it, but it definitely isn't required, esp for bashing... I think it's nice to have though. since you have a sensored motor i would definitely pair it up with a sensored ESC. if it's like the tekin and castle you can run it sensorless too if you wanted.

you wont get any of that low speed cogging, its pure smoothness at the slowest speed. i like it, but it definitely isn't required, esp for bashing... I think it's nice to have though. since you have a sensored motor i would definitely pair it up with a sensored ESC. if it's like the tekin and castle you can run it sensorless too if you wanted.
Yeah, I can run that motor either as sensored or sensorless and I have never ran a sensored motor before so I am interested. Dumb question here, with a sensored motor, does it send temp readings back to the ESC to tell it to shut down if it gets too hot or is the sensor wire purely for communicating rotor positioning?

Another thing I just found out is the MAX10 is waterproof where the XR8 isn't. Not that I get my rigs wet anymore but it would still be a nice feature to have in case there is dew on the grass or I accidentally hit a puddle.

Yeah, I can run that motor either as sensored or sensorless and I have never ran a sensored motor before so I am interested. Dumb question here, with a sensored motor, does it send temp readings back to the ESC to tell it to shut down if it gets too hot or is the sensor wire purely for communicating rotor positioning?

Another thing I just found out is the MAX10 is waterproof where the XR8 isn't. Not that I get my rigs wet anymore but it would still be a nice feature to have in case there is dew on the grass or I accidentally hit a puddle.

no extra data, it's simply for rotor positioning.
i too have a water proof ESC (castle mmx) and have no intention on driving it in the water. seems most of the bigger ESCs are waterproof nowadays... I agree, it's nice to have that insurance. Esp where I am, the grass is wet quite a bit...

Sounds like a great plan. Setup that way they're super fun. I'd go with the XR8 also. Mu h more tunable and more powerful.

Alright @Pauly and @RC_User, you two talked me into cancelling my order and getting the XR8 lol. I'm not going to lie, I am a little nervous about soldering on the ESC posts and motor posts. All of the ESCs and motors that I have dealt with have had wires coming out of them and I only needed to do the soldering on the wires. I guess I have to do it and learn sometime, right?

And @RC_User, what do you mean the grass is wet where you are? Do you even get rain in Seattle? :) At least you have nicer temperatures year around than in Minnesota (90+ degrees with 98% percent humidity in the summer and -20 degrees with 30mph winds in the winter)

Edit:
Now I am wondering if I should have skipped the Hobbywing and just got a Castle MMX...?? I always second guess myself. LOL

Can't really ad more than the above but since your in Minnesota eh..oh wait that's Canada I would go full sensored and WP. I was amazed at the low speed control of my HW Quicrun which is non sensored. That sold me on HW and because I bash that is all I need. I have the XR8 in my MT410 just to try the sensored system. The Turbo, timing and coast feature is so cool to see and use. If I had to deal with water I would go Xerun.

And there is nothing wrong with Castle IMO. Been running there product since 05 if you include planes and Helis with zero issues. Well except for their garbage 1/5 scale ESC's but that another topic and another forum

i just like castle because they've been around a long time, and i like to support the american companies, there aren't a lot left. I have used hobbywing when price was a factor and they actually performed as good if not better than the castle stuff and usually cost less. Castle has some nice features though like castle link software, telemetry you can use with your 4PLS I believe.
But in one case my HW esc actually WAS better than a Castle ESC - the Castle MM2 ESC ... avoid it. MMX is super good though.

@Cmbscx10 northern Minnesota might say eh lol but I'm not sure. I ordered the Xerun XR8 SCT but I don't think that it is waterproof. Like I said I don't drive in water anymore so I guess I'll try it out. I have the Castle XL X in my HPI Baja 5B SS and haven't had any issues with it. I know the XL2 had issues though.

@RC_User I have the MM2/2200kv in my Arrma Kraton and haven't had any issues yet. I do agree that Castlelink is really nice but I wanted to try something other than Castle as they are pretty much all I've tried other than RTR systems. I did also order the LCD programmer for the Hobbywing ESC so we will see what that's like.

@Billl DeLong a buddy of mine has one and I like how you can really set it up any way you want. You can do a little monster truck like I'm doing, or a speed truck, or a racing truck. I'm also happy that I went with the SCT since it takes "regular" lipos and not the short packs, which I found out after making my decision.

Update to my build......I haven't started yet. LOL I was going to start it this last weekend until I went down and looked at my workbench and discovered I had let me area turn into a disaster. So I am taking some time to clean that up and get that organized. Also spent a lot of time with the wife and kids with it being father's day weekend. On a plus note, all of my parts that I ordered arrived today so once I get going I shouldn't need to stop.

My wife asked what I wanted to do for Father’s Day? I said to go to the rc track on Saturday with the whole family. Took the dog too. :love: My six year old finished 4th out of 8 in rookies. Hope you enjoyed your weekend. Looking forward to seeing how your build goes.

That would be an awesome day to watch the kid drive in a race and do well. I'm sure you're proud of your little one.

I got to do a lot of what the wife wanted to do for the whole weekend and nothing of what I wanted. I did get my work area cleaned up though but now I am sick:(.

I'm on daddy duty this week with the wife working 3pm-11pm. With being sick, after the kids go to bed I basically follow them to bed. I'm hoping to get the diffs built tonight or tomorrow at least. I'm thinking 30k front, 60k center and 15k rear but still not that sure.

Recent Popular Liked

Back