• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

410 2.0 Shock springs for bashing - Should I change the stock springs and/or shock oil that came with the kit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den-889

Reaction score
Hi there!

I've recently purchased the SCT410 2.0 kit and looking forward to building it in the coming weeks. Still a newbie in this RC kit world as only being using a basic RTR for now.

I am looking at using the kit for general bashing rather than racing it. For most of the time my bashing will be on a mix of smooth to bumpy surfaces, maybe with the occasional very rough surfaces. For example, road, gravel, grass, a few small jumps but no extreme jumps like you see on some of the YouTube videos.

The kit comes with stock TKR6107 (front) springs. According to the Tekno website it states that these springs are suitable for smooth surfaces offering high grip. However, I've also noticed that the TKR6106, TKR6105 also suggest being used for smooth surfaces with the high grip levels. What makes these different to the TKR6107 springs? What do the different spring rates achieve if the springs are still rated for smooth surfaces?

Would the stock TKR6107 springs be enough for the type of bashing that I will be doing, or would I be better to go with something like the TKR6104 which the Tekno website says is suitable for both bumpy and smooth conditions?

At what point in changing the shock springs should I also consider or need to change the shock oil?

How do I know what shock oil weight to use for a specific spring type?

Just leave it stock and drive it, get a few different springs to try, if it seems stiff get some softer springs. If you are still new and not racing, it will take some driving to figure out how it “feels”, only then can you begin to tune it. Even tires make a world of difference, you will find you don’t need the meatiest looking treads to get great traction. You will also need a consistent terrain or testing ground to produce consistent results if you are trying to hone in on a dialed set up. thats my honest opinion, as I started the same way. In time you will figure out what oils correspond with springs, just by the feel or even by the look of the suspension as it pounds over the uneven surfaces. Congrats on the truck, I bet you’re going to love it.

I almost always start with box stock manual setup to get a feel of platform on the normal everyday terrain that it'll seeing. Adjust things as I go. Most often it's the shock oil, and diff fluids that I mess with first, because of rougher/bumpier/looser terrain than what box stock setup was meant for.

Springs... as long as I can get "bones level" ride height from stock springs, and still have have adjustability on the collars... buying springs is the last thing on my list. Of course, there is always an exception to feeling the need to buy springs before testing.

The back of the manual has some really good setup info. Also, I haven't really noticed any major break-in differences of the 16mm shock springs on my buggy. Hopefully the SCT410 2.0's springs will be the same. Now, my ET410, and SCT410SL... those springs have needed a lot more adjustment/different rate of springs after stock springs have been broken-in.

Last edited:
Any updates on springs after broken-in?

I know on the ET410 platforms the springs aren't long enough to make contact with shock spring adjustment collars at full droop. There is nothing going on like that with the SCT410 2.0's springs is there?

Haven't had a chance to start building the kit yet 😭

Super excited to build and run this kit! It's looking more like a project for the Christmas holidays at the moment. At least then I'll be able to get some quality time building the kit rather than having to start/stop all the time.

Recent Popular Liked

Back