• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

SCT410SL by AngryBrownMan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Racer
IMG_0658.jpeg

Building my first short course truck and first Tekno. I'll use this thread to highlight some of the things I do as I get this kit built up.

Last edited:
Diffs completed. I've done a lot of onroad builds and these were easily the best to screw together. The plastics had a nice level of resistance when the screws were going in, but nothing ever felt like it was binding or cross-threading. Firming the screws up was super simple, and had a nice positive feel since there wasn't a lot of tension. It's the little things that count!
IMG_0659.jpeg

Front and rear towers done. Glad I read RustyUS's build thread. I made sure to use the centre dot pills on the A and B blocks on the front as noted on this thread in post #14. I also used some CA glue on the rear hub inserts. Hopefully that might make the rear hubs a little stronger. Other than that, i've kept the stock setup in the manual.

IMG_0660.jpeg

Front and rear towers done. Glad I read RustyUS's build thread. I made sure to use the centre dot pills on the A and B blocks on the front as noted on this thread in post #14. I also used some CA glue on the rear hub inserts. Hopefully that might make the rear hubs a little stronger. Other than that, i've kept the stock setup in the manual.

View attachment 9633
Great catch on using the center dots. Crucial!

More progress on the build today.

A couple mods too. I wanted a fan mount for the motor, so I got the diff plate/fan mount. I also got the Tekno aluminum shock caps. Getting the hex nut on the top of the shock cap was a bit of a pain because of the tight clearance between the flange on the nuts and the shape of the cap. It's a lot easier to get them on by taking the tower studs off and attach the shocks before mounting them to the towers.
IMG_0661.jpeg

If I'm nitpicking, I'm a bit disappointed that the kit comes with a plastic shock cap. I feel like that's a real weak point and would require constant replacing. I also found the LH/RH threaded bolts used to screw the shocks to the arms needlessly fussy - I'd prefer one direction for both sides.

I'll also be changing out the notched hexes for regular hexes (keeping offset). I've found that they're just way to tight fitting on the wheels I'm planning to use.

Last edited:
Finished the build minus the electronics. The rest of the build was straightforward. Will likely change the rear brace to the short version, since most of the tracks this truck will see will be bumpy.

IMG_0663.jpeg

More progress on the build today.

A couple mods too. I wanted a fan mount for the motor, so I got the diff plate/fan mount. I also got the Tekno aluminum shock caps. Getting the hex nut on the top of the shock cap was a bit of a pain because of the tight clearance between the flange on the nuts and the shape of the cap. It's a lot easier to get them on by taking the tower studs off and attach the shocks before mounting them to the towers.
View attachment 9634

If I'm nitpicking, I'm a bit disappointed that the kit comes with a plastic shock cap. I feel like that's a real weak point and would require constant replacing. I also found the LH/RD threaded bolts used to screw the shocks to the arms needlessly fussy - I'd prefer one direction for both sides.

I'll also be changing out the notched hexes for regular hexes (keeping offset). I've found that they're just way to tight fitting on the wheels I'm planning to use.
Sure, I'd love to have aluminum shock caps included with the kit, but that would mean the cost of the kit to be increased as well. Those aluminum caps are a good chunk of change. I'm sure it's a tough call for Tekno to decide what is absolutely needed and what to leave out to reach their profit margin goal.

Glad to see your kit come together. Looking forward to your SL loadout.

Sure, I'd love to have aluminum shock caps included with the kit, but that would mean the cost of the kit to be increased as well. Those aluminum caps are a good chunk of change. I'm sure it's a tough call for Tekno to decide what is absolutely needed and what to leave out to reach their profit margin goal.

Glad to see your kit come together. Looking forward to your SL loadout.
I totally agree that it would be tough to include at this price point. I should also point out that I'm glad a short rear brace was included in the kit, and not an extra. Can't wait to get this car finished and on track!

Made some more progress on the build. Motor came in, and couldn't resist adding the CF front brace. I had to add a 3mm spacer to the turnbuckle on the servo arm so the steering link would clear. Hobbywing 4300kV motor with a 19t pinion. Just waiting on the ESC to arrive. Trying out a Hitec servo - it's on the slow side, but that might not be a bad thing since this is my first off-road truck ever.

IMG_0666.jpeg

Last edited:
Made some more progress on the build. Motor came in, and couldn't resist adding the CF front brace. I had to add a 3mm spacer to the turnbuckle on the servo arm so the steering link would clear. Hobbywing 4300kV motor with a 19t pinion. Just waiting on the ESC to arrive. Trying out a Hitec servo - it's on the slow side, but that might not be a bad thing since this is my first off-road truck ever.

View attachment 9671
If you're using our servo horn designed for the 410 then you should flip it upside down. You shouldn't need to add any additional spacers for clearance.

If you're using our servo horn designed for the 410 then you should flip it upside down. You shouldn't need to add any additional spacers for clearance.
Good to know you can flip the Tekno servo horn. Right now I'm using a generic servo horn (waiting on the Tekno one to come in at my LHS). ESC should be arriving today :LOL:, can't wait to give this thing a rip!

Finally got some mods I ordered in a while back.

1. Installed the Exotek rear hubs (part #2023). I used the same shims and placement on the hinge pin as stock and there is no extra play in the hubs in comparison with the stock part. Made sure to follow the instructions and swap the ball joints (put ones on tower on the hubs and vice versa) because of the length differences. Eyeballing the camber, it looks like I've now got a little less camber than the box stock setup.

2. I installed the Tekno wheel hexes (part #TKR5571A). This was just because the hexes that come with the kit are really hard to fit onto some of the wheels I bought. With these more 'traditional' hexes, the wheels are easy to swap out.
IMG_0668.jpeg

3. Installed the Exotek centre diff bulkhead (part #1809). Did this purely for aesthetics :p. IMO looks great.

IMG_0673.jpeg

4. And finally, installed the Exotek steering rack (part #1821) and steering cranks (part #1822). I didn't feel like there was any slop in the plastic Tekno parts, I got these more for durability. The steering geometry looks exactly the same as the Tekno parts - no adjustments to the turnbuckles were needed.

IMG_0670.jpeg

I'm impressed with the Exotek parts. They were all plug and play, no special shimming, or hacks to get these parts in. The blue/grey finish on them looks great, and they look really well machined.

Last edited:
Here's the final build with everything soldered up (accidentally used 60/40 solder, so everything looks a bit goopy). Had it out at the local track before taking this picture.

I also installed the Tekno servo horn so I could get rid of the spacers I was using before. Now to fine tune the setup!

IMG_0678.jpeg

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back