• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Recommendations for motor and esc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This works for me great!
1664160449520.jpeg

Ok, did a bit of research and looked at fitment in my trucks:

The Castle Mamba Monster X 6s fits the MT410 with no relocation needed (I have one in one of my MTs). This thing is a beast with a BEC rated at 8A it will feed any servo out there. I feel it has been widely underrated lately. It comes with the 1515 2200kv motor and is a great combo. That ESC could probably feed a 4082 or 4092 motor on 6s with ease in such a light truck.

The MMX 8s is the larger ESC, but that one is widely overkill for the MT410. Requires ESC relocation.

The Max8 G2 with the 4078 can sounds very promising, but will be tight to fit in the MT410. No one has reported on this yet. I just checked my trucks and I don't think it fits without ESC relocation in any Tekno truck (MT410, ET48.3 or ET48 2.0). If you're going for relocation then might as well get a 4082 from RCjuice.com. The Max8 G2 is still a good option on it's own, but I do not think it will be better than the Castle MMX.

The Firma 150A (stock on all Arrma 6s trucks) from jennyrc.com for $85 is the bang for the buck! The 4074 2050kv Spektrum motor is at $45. Can't beat a 6s combo for $130... Would probably run like a charm and live for ever on a light truck and on 4s.

The Team Corally Torox ESC is rated at 185A and seems to have quite some success, but they are hard to find. At $93 on jennysrc.com, no wonder they are out of stock! It could be a rebadged Max8 G2.

In light of everything said in this thread, I would go for the MMX 6s for a basher.

The choice between going for the MMX or the cheaper Firma 150A also depends on what battery you plan on running. 4s will likely be easier on the ESC. If going 6s, I would highly suggest lowering the kv of the motor to the 1500kv to 1700kv range.

It's your rig and your priorities, I personally always go for reliability first and find performance to be rather subjective.

Reminder, decision process should be as follow:
  1. Choose battery : 4s or 6s
  2. choose motor: size and kv
  3. choose ESC last

I'm with @KnowAir, i tend to do budget builds. I'm running the full size 6s backflip tires on mine with a blx 2050kv motor and a spektrum 130a esc using a 14t pinion. It's definitely got plenty of power. It ran a little warm during my first runs. It probably would have been fine, but I threw on a fan mount and fan, just cause i'm a belt and suspenders kind of person too (well, except not actually the suspenders). Now it's my coolest running truck.

As a word of caution as mentioned above, with the 4074 motor i'm running and the 130a spektrum esc, it's a TIGHT fit in the chassis. i had to snip off one of the ESC ears to make everything fit. With the max8 g2 having the sensor port and being a little longer, i agree that it would be a very close fit, if at all.

I think the "old" max8 combo (non g2) would still be a very nice setup for the MT if you can get your hands on one. Would allow to run up to 7.4v on the servo for better torque/speed. And should run plenty cool. In future, once i've transitioned the 130a spektrum over to my SCT410.3 build, i'll be getting an RTR max8 for cheap off aliexpress and put it in the MT.

The Firma’s BEC (for the servo) is rated at 5A and has two voltage options at 6V and 8.4V.

This is plenty if you ask me. A cheap yet great solution. I would pick the $130 combo on jennysrc.com with no hesitation.

The Castle connects to your PC and has fancy options, but you might never see a performance difference with the Firma.

Ok, did a bit of research and looked at fitment in my trucks:

The Castle Mamba Monster X 6s fits the MT410 with no relocation needed (I have one in one of my MTs). This thing is a beast with a BEC rated at 8A it will feed any servo out there. I feel it has been widely underrated lately. It comes with the 1515 2200kv motor and is a great combo. That ESC could probably feed a 4082 or 4092 motor on 6s with ease in such a light truck.

The MMX 8s is the larger ESC, but that one is widely overkill for the MT410. Requires ESC relocation.

The Max8 G2 with the 4078 can sounds very promising, but will be tight to fit in the MT410. No one has reported on this yet. I just checked my trucks and I don't think it fits without ESC relocation in any Tekno truck (MT410, ET48.3 or ET48 2.0). If you're going for relocation then might as well get a 4082 from RCjuice.com. The Max8 G2 is still a good option on it's own, but I do not think it will be better than the Castle MMX.

The Firma 150A (stock on all Arrma 6s trucks) from jennyrc.com for $85 is the bang for the buck! The 4074 2050kv Spektrum motor is at $45. Can't beat a 6s combo for $130... Would probably run like a charm and live for ever on a light truck and on 4s.

The Team Corally Torox ESC is rated at 185A and seems to have quite some success, but they are hard to find. At $93 on jennysrc.com, no wonder they are out of stock! It could be a rebadged Max8 G2.

In light of everything said in this thread, I would go for the MMX 6s for a basher.

The choice between going for the MMX or the cheaper Firma 150A also depends on what battery you plan on running. 4s will likely be easier on the ESC. If going 6s, I would highly suggest lowering the kv of the motor to the 1500kv to 1700kv range.

It's your rig and your priorities, I personally always go for reliability first and find performance to be rather subjective.

Reminder, decision process should be as follow:
  1. Choose battery : 4s or 6s
  2. choose motor: size and kv
  3. choose ESC last
Hey Nicochau...
Wow, thanks alot for all the time and effort you put in to help me out.
So I wanted to see if this combo is the one that will fit right in with no mods.

Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1515 Sensored Motor (2200Kv)​

Part#: CSE010-0145-03 / Castle
If this is the one.....I'll order it. This is all I'm lacking for the build. Thanks buddy.

Hey KA...
No sweat, I didn't order yet. I'm going to back up and start again with more research. Thanks for letting me know.
Yessir, hate to see you buy something that's not a direct fit.

I agree, Castle combo will definitely be a good upper end choice. Curious about the MMX fitment. I was thinking MM2? Not very familiar with Castle products.
The v1 Max8 combo is definitely a good option, as is the Firma combo from JRC.
Pretty sure @CharlieTuna has already suggested he wants to run 4s. I do feel it's best to put a 6s capable system in just for overhead and "in case" he decides to try 6s in the future.
I have the blx185, Corally Torox/Kuron, as well as other Hobbywing 6s rtr systems. The Corally system does "feel" stronger, whether on 4 or 6s.

Hey Nicochau...
Wow, thanks alot for all the time and effort you put in to help me out.
So I wanted to see if this combo is the one that will fit right in with no mods.

Castle Creations Monster X 1/8 Brushless Combo w/1515 Sensored Motor (2200Kv)​

Part#: CSE010-0145-03 / Castle
If this is the one.....I'll order it. This is all I'm lacking for the build. Thanks buddy.
Yep, that's the fancy combo!

This is how it fits in the MT410, tight but no problem at all:
IMG_4325.JPG

Interesting, I may look for one on JRC.com in the next couple weeks just in case it ever comes back in stock.
Yeah, I bought 2 of the combos from JRC back in 21..before the word got out on how good they are. I paid $150 each for the combos. The esc is literally an orange shrouded max8 from what I can tell. Full programming intact. Interestingly, TC rates it for 185a vs max8 at 150a(g1).
Not sure if the motor is really any different than say a Firma 2050kv. Very potent though.
If you're familiar with Razor rc on YT, he suggested the TC combo is the fastest rtr system he's come acrossed. He seems to be a well versed and relatively unbiased reviewer IMO.
Bet that Castle system is a handful in the MT410?
I have the TC combos in a Kronos XTR and the other in a TT MT4G3 which really doesn't fit 6s very well in the chassis tray. I run both on 4s and couldn't be happier. I have run the kronos on 6s, it's bonkers for me, I bash in smaller areas so don't need a whole lot of speed.

Yeah, I bought 2 of the combos from JRC back in 21..before the word got out on how good they are. I paid $150 each for the combos. The esc is literally an orange shrouded max8 from what I can tell. Full programming intact. Interestingly, TC rates it for 185a vs max8 at 150a(g1).
Not sure if the motor is really any different than say a Firma 2050kv. Very potent though.
If you're familiar with Razor rc on YT, he suggested the TC combo is the fastest rtr system he's come acrossed. He seems to be a well versed and relatively unbiased reviewer IMO.
Bet that Castle system is a handful in the MT410?
I have the TC combos in a Kronos XTR and the other in a TT MT4G3 which really doesn't fit 6s very well in the chassis tray. I run both on 4s and couldn't be happier. I have run the kronos on 6s, it's bonkers for me, I bash in smaller areas so don't need a whole lot of speed.
I was checking that TC combo online, the motor is actually rated 3000W when other cans this size are 2600 to 2800W. That, in itself could explain the power. I have the older Arrma 6s motor in a truggy and noticed it is an extremely potent option as well.

I was checking that TC combo online, the motor is actually rated 3000W when other cans this size are 2600 to 2800W. That, in itself could explain the power. I have the older Arrma 6s motor in a truggy and noticed it is an extremely potent option as well.
Hadn't seen the TC motor specs myself..3000watts!? That is a very strong rating for a 4274!
I just swapped motors between my mojave(TenShock 6pole 2200kv) and my mt410 (BLX185 2050kv) because the esc in the mojave kept hitting thermal shut down. Motor temp was only 120f. I didn't have a 13t pinion to drop to(from 14t), so, figured let's try this..not sure if it'll solve the overheating esc yet, haven't had a chance to try it.
What I found interesting though is, the Tenshock is supposed to have a kevlar wrapped rotor.. do you see ANY wrap at all on this rotor?🤔😮
I opened it up to lube the bearings, it's 10 years old. The wrap has been missing for a couple years now( that I know of)LOL.

Attachments

• 20220927_181756.jpg
    20220927_181756.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 90
Hadn't seen the TC motor specs myself..3000watts!? That is a very strong rating for a 4274!
I just swapped motors between my mojave(TenShock 6pole 2200kv) and my mt410 (BLX185 2050kv) because the esc in the mojave kept hitting thermal shut down. Motor temp was only 120f. I didn't have a 13t pinion to drop to(from 14t), so, figured let's try this..not sure if it'll solve the overheating esc yet, haven't had a chance to try it.
What I found interesting though is, the Tenshock is supposed to have a kevlar wrapped rotor.. do you see ANY wrap at all on this rotor?🤔😮
I opened it up to lube the bearings, it's 10 years old. The wrap has been missing for a couple years now( that I know of)LOL.
I have a buggy can Tenshock 6 pole as well. Was never impressed by the power or temps, but found it very smooth.

I have a buggy can Tenshock 6 pole as well. Was never impressed by the power or temps, but found it very smooth.
Me too..actually it's a Turnigy Trackstar 4068 2560kv 6 pole. Looks identical to the Tenshock inside an out. I can't remember if the wrap is still intact on it or not though.
I agree with your assessment, they do run on the hot side, but very smooth power delivery. The Tenshock has hit 200f quite a few times in it's 11 year life..I suppose that's why the wrap is missing from the rotor. I'm going to run it till failure. Hopefully it doesn't take the esc out when it does.
That one (Trackstar) is installed in an old Xray xb8 that I converted to electric. It's a tank. 4s pack after pack never flinches..Xray makes a fine kit IMO.

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back