• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

RC noob - Need recommendations for build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albuht813

Reaction score
Just got a Kraton 8S and it's taking me back to the days of my youth when I built a RC10T in the 90's! I definitely want to build a kit and the ET48 seems to be the ticket for just all around fun with durability. Things have changed a lot in this hobby and the products are tough to keep up with. I would love your help for recommendations on the components. Thanks in advance!

I'm looking to go 50-60mph on 4S packs only (is that possible?). Durability in the components is important to me more than the price. Thanks so much for helping me out. Could you please leave your recommendations for the servo, ESC and motor?

Last edited:
Just got a Kraton 8S and it's taking me back to the days of my youth when I built a RC10T in the 90's! I definitely want to build a kit and the ET48 seems to be the ticket for just all around fun with durability. Things have changed a lot in this hobby and the products are tough to keep up with. I would love your help for recommendations on the components. Thanks in advance!

I'm looking to go 50-60mph on 4S packs only (is that possible?). Durability in the components is important to me more than the price. Thanks so much for helping me out. Could you please leave your recommendations for the servo, ESC and motor?
You're looking to bash it?

I run a Tekin gen3 2250 KV motor and RX8 ESC. It's incredibly fast even with a 15t pinion. But I only drive it on the track. I'm sure you can get it going 50-60 mph with the proper gearing. Are you thinking speeds runs on the street or are you looking like 60 mph in the dirt and grass and over jumps? The latter may be a challenge as you'll sacrifice a lot of torque just for a few extra MPH. Top speed is easier to achieve on perfectly smooth pavement.

If you want to stay at 4s, go with LIHV batteries to get some extra voltage while still staying in the 4s realm. And go with a higher KV motor, so nothing lower than a 2250. Just be careful you don't overheat your electronics going that fast for long periods of time. 70 degrees F and sunny vs 70 degrees F and cloudy can make a MASSIVE difference in motor temperature when doing speed runs.

Another thing to keep in mind, 50-60 MPH is super easy to achieve with 6s. But that's also when you start breaking things you won't normally break on 4s.

The ET48 is a great choice. 50-60mph on 4S is very ambitious and is impossible without building an all out speed car with really high gearing and very good 4S batteries.

Realistically I would say to expect more like 38-42mph on 4S. This should ensure that the electronics are not put under too much load and the gearing is sensible which will also give you good acceleration.

If you want faster than that you will pretty much need to run 6S.

As to component selection you want a good 1/8 ESC such as a Hobbywing MAX8 or Castle mamba monster 2/mamba monster X. Pair that with at least a 4074 size motor that is around 1800-2200kv. 2200kv is on the higher end so will need lower gearing to suit and more careful monitoring of temperature running 6S but will run absolutely fine on 4S.

Personally I run a MAX8 ESC with a 4082 1600kv motor because I like to regularly run the car on sustained 6S power in a large grass area. Most higher kv/smaller motors that I tried couldn't take this without overheating or requiring low gearing which meant a lower top speed than I was looking for. This does however make the car not run as well on 4S as the motor likes more voltage to run efficiently.

I use very high quality batteries in my car too. I have a gens ace 5000mah 50c pack, a turnigy graphene 5000mah 65c 4S pack and a pair of graphene 4000mah 3S 45c. These are all high c rating good quality batteries which for high powered 1/8 scale cars is quite necessary.

I use a futaba 3pv radio system to control the car because it's good quality and has a fast response time as well as ample configurability for steering and throttle controls.

I have a JX 23kg 0.12 sec brushless servo for steering. This is a great servo for the price as it's only about £50 and performs like an £80-£100 servo.

After a lot of experimentation and trial and error my car runs Proline badlands 3.8 tyres. These tyres hold up to the high power and provide loads of grip and have a good wear life. They do need to have holes drilled into the tyres though for venting which helps them survive when spun up to high rpm.

That's about it for the main parts on my car. Any questions please ask and myself and other will be happy to help!

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, I do intend on probably being only bashing. Thanks for the education on the speeds on a 4S pack. You've just convinced me to go 6S with this truck because more speed = more fun!!

I've decided to go with this setup so far:
MMX with 2200kv motor combo (yeah racing fans on motor) - want to try running 4S and 6S with this
protek 170
14T and 16T pinion

Another question is: do you think running 3.8" tires on this setup is possible given the motor/pinion setup? I bought the 2mm hex offset parts so the wheels will fit. I like the badlands tread....they look mean!

Thanks so much for the replies. Yes, I do intend on probably being only bashing. Thanks for the education on the speeds on a 4S pack. You've just convinced me to go 6S with this truck because more speed = more fun!!

I've decided to go with this setup so far:
MMX with 2200kv motor combo (yeah racing fans on motor) - want to try running 4S and 6S with this
protek 170
14T and 16T pinion

Another question is: do you think running 3.8" tires on this setup is possible given the motor/pinion setup? I bought the 2mm hex offset parts so the wheels will fit. I like the badlands tread....they look mean!

i recommend Backflips LP (4s version). They don’t balloon as much.

Recent Popular Liked

Back