• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

More noob build questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladefan

Reaction score
Hi Again!
I think I figured out my previous issues.

1) I was wondering if it is likely to OVER-tighten the differentials?
After refilling the center diff, I noticied that I could get it to turn smoothly with my hands. To avoid leakage, I tightened the hell out of it (hand tools only and no extra leverage used, just the driver handle)- and THEN noticed it was really hard to turn with my hands. So I backed each of the 4 screw out a turn and it turns by grabbing the outdrives with my hands again instead of requiring extra leverage on the outdrives.

2) How noticeable is changing the differential fluid weights for me and will it interfere with my learning to drive the truck and paying attention to how it handles on the track?
This is the stock build 7000 front, 7000 center, 5000 rear. I dont think I'll have enough 7000 weight left for the front diff. As a noob (but not completely inexperienced) basher, will a 10k front,7k center ,5k rear setup, interfere with my learning to drive the truck well? My track is pretty loose/low traction. I noticed that one of the pros set his differentials up like that for a loose track. I plan on either putting 10k up front, or what's left of my 7000 and mix with 10k to fill up the front diff.

I've seen this - https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Set_Up_Guide.pdf (thanks Bill!!)

I don't know how that translates into real life

thanks
Ken

Also, does it matter what type of grease I use? I have something I got at the auto parts store and marine grease. And of course the stuff that comes in the kit

Attachments

• B64191BC-A8DB-4927-8430-4E9ED50E5C50.jpeg
    B64191BC-A8DB-4927-8430-4E9ED50E5C50.jpeg
    119.6 KB · Views: 148
Put the 10k in the center if you don't have enough of the 7k left, try and use 7k in the front if you can.

Diffs can be built and tested dry, don't install them and run them dry, but do the screws up dry and then you will feel any binding or if they are too loose, once you shim them and are happy with the feel dry fill them.

Marine grease is usually pretty good quality and should be fine also. The motor grease may be a tiny bit stickier and leave a thin coating on the gears even when the majority of the grease has flung off, where the marine grease may not hold on over time.

Hi Again!
I think I figured out my previous issues.

1) I was wondering if it is likely to OVER-tighten the differentials?
After refilling the center diff, I noticied that I could get it to turn smoothly with my hands. To avoid leakage, I tightened the hell out of it (hand tools only and no extra leverage used, just the driver handle)- and THEN noticed it was really hard to turn with my hands. So I backed each of the 4 screw out a turn and it turns by grabbing the outdrives with my hands again instead of requiring extra leverage on the outdrives.

2) How noticeable is changing the differential fluid weights for me and will it interfere with my learning to drive the truck and paying attention to how it handles on the track?
This is the stock build 7000 front, 7000 center, 5000 rear. I dont think I'll have enough 7000 weight left for the front diff. As a noob (but not completely inexperienced) basher, will a 10k front,7k center ,5k rear setup, interfere with my learning to drive the truck well? My track is pretty loose/low traction. I noticed that one of the pros set his differentials up like that for a loose track. I plan on either putting 10k up front, or what's left of my 7000 and mix with 10k to fill up the front diff.

I've seen this - https://www.teknorc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Set_Up_Guide.pdf (thanks Bill!!)

I don't know how that translates into real life

thanks
Ken
Hello. I am having the same exact problem with over tightening the center diff. Wondering if you discovered any other ideas. Does it leak because you backed the screws out?

I haven’t noticed any problems. I love how the car drives stock. I haven’t noticed any leaking but I also have not been back into the differentials to see if they were still full. However, there is not an oil mess in my chassis so it’s good so far.

Recent Popular Liked

Back