• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

MT410 Center diff advise needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freelosophy

Reaction score
So I blew out my center diff. I know how I did it, my bad!!! got a mad at me but am over it. I inspect as good as my eyes can see. The one of the cross pins was scratched and the other looked ok. The plastic case shot and the planetary gears seemed ok. I got a metal diff case and replacement pins. Also had to get the casket and rubber grommets. Put it all together and when I turn it by hand it doesn't feel smooth, it kind of clumps a bit. I don't want to install it and blow it again for bad assembly. Am thinking maybe the planetary gears or something was also damaged. I ordered some gears (not here yet) and am planning on opening it back up and replacing all the gears. This in fact will make all the parts new and I'll feel how it turns when new. A few questions . . .
1. Is it normal for the center diff to do that and clump a bit, not binding though.
2. Is it ok to re-use the brand new diff oil I just used?
3. Why was the clear diff oil black when I open it up?
Learned a lot, lots more to learn.
Thanks bros, not sure I could do this without the help I've gotten here!

I ordered the diff gear set and a spur gear just in case, am a whore when it comes to purchasing. There's no local hobby shop (it's like 50 min away) and I buy most everything on line. Been buying my stuff mostly from horizon, tower and Amain depending on who has what in stock. Dudes know that horizon is shipping everything Fed EX. I order it Friday (today is Sat.) with cheapest delivery and I see delivery it set for tomorrow (Sunday) via Fed Ex. So if no one has any ideas, I'll let you all know tomorrow GOD and Fed Ex willing. btw am in Los Angeles.

If you manually rotate both axials in opposing directions it should be buttery smooth. If you rotate just the one manually, with the other being rotated purely by the planetary gears, it will give the the slightest of click.

That's my experience from day one with my eb48 2.0

I have recently accidentally overtightened and destroyed my gasket and that did clump/click etc.

hey skynet5 thanks for the feedback! I think am good to go then. Am gonna try it and if I screw it up at least I got spare parts coming tomorrow instead of in 7 days. I'll post results.

here's a good laugh for everyone. I just installed the middle diff and guess what? The rear wheels turn in the opposite direction of the front. The front goes one direction and the rear in the opposite direction. Guess I must of installed something backwards lol. But at least the diff gears are good and all is working. Now to figure out what I got to reverse to make the wheels turn in the same direction.

1) If the diff is new there can be a break in period necessary to make it smooth. But the gears in the diffs should always be smooth. Those metal cases usually have shims for the planetary gears so you can get the mesh just right.

2) Its OK to re-use fresh oil but you said yours was black.

3) I am guessing it is black from cooking the plastic diff case. For that reason, I would not use that oil again if it were my rig.

As far as your wheels spinning opposite, that sounds like either your front or rear diff is backwards.

dude you are right on! first the black oil I was referring to was the old busted center diff. I should of made that clear. I open up the center diff and all look good. Shims, all was fine. So as tbuggy says it wasn't the center diff it was the rear diff installed backward in the housing. Am such a noob. So the center diff is fine now and the rear diff is re-installed and all is good. I compared the rear diff clicks and they are the same as the center. AM GOOD TO GO. thanks for the feedback dudes!

I ordered the diff gear set and a spur gear just in case, am a whore when it comes to purchasing. There's no local hobby shop (it's like 50 min away) and I buy most everything on line. Been buying my stuff mostly from horizon, tower and Amain depending on who has what in stock. Dudes know that horizon is shipping everything Fed EX. I order it Friday (today is Sat.) with cheapest delivery and I see delivery it set for tomorrow (Sunday) via Fed Ex. So if no one has any ideas, I'll let you all know tomorrow GOD and Fed Ex willing. btw am in Los Angeles.
You should consider joining this group if you are in LA.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/southbayrc/?ref=share

Nearly every new diff ive built over the years feels slightly clunky, like you can feel each tooth as they spin, but as long as nothing is binding or there isnt one spot or tooth that it hangs up worse than others, I roll with it, and Ive never blown out a diff ever, and Ive probably had 100 new ones over the years, and have serviced and broken them completely down several hundred times... All gearboxes need a bit of breakin time before they are super smooth, from little RC cars all the way up to full size real cars. I did pick up a new Tekno ET410.2 last month and once the front gear box was done, there was one spot that would hang up worse that I was willing to run it to break it in. I ended up finding the pinion gear that spins the ring gear on the diff had 2 teeth that werent quite machined quite deep enough, and thats not something that would easily break in, rather it probably would have caused the bearings that the diff assembly rides on, and/or the pinion gear bearings to wear out super fast.

Recent Popular Liked

Back