• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48.4 Lower rear shock bolts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chozwoz

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
Driving Style
Racer
So I got my used EB48.4 a couple days ago, very happy with what was in the box. Starting the initial teardown at the rear end and founds several things I have not seen in carpet racing 1/10 scale on road touring cars. Yes, I know it's a different world, stop it. So first thing I notice is these little slots holding nylock nuts for the bolts on the rear wing and strut assembly so the attaching bolts have something to lock into and not strip out the plastic. Rear wing and mount came apart quickly and easily. Great design. Now for the shocks. The lower bolt/screw that attaches the shock to the lower suspension arm is stripped. Stripped to the point it will not effing come out. I have carved away at the plastic under the hex head in an effort to pry it loose whilst spinning the ratchet wrench but nothing. I have disassembled the rear end to the point where I removed the shock perch from the lower assembly that is held captive by that bolt. So here is one of two questions: why does Tekno have the slots in the plastic struts for the rear wing assembly that hold nylock nuts for the attaching bolts/screws so they hold tight yet don't easily strip out the plastic yet do not employ this same design in a a much more needed area: lower shock mount to the suspension arm? I'm like huh? Do the suspension arms in later revisions (EB48 2.0 and 2.1) have this little slot for the nylocks? Will the latest suspension arms fit the EB48.4? I'm a n00b to offroad but am mechanically capable. Just asking questions...thanks!

Last edited:
Just curious, were you able to unscrew one of the lower shock mounts and not the other? I don’t have the .4 but I do have a couple Tekno’s. The right side lower shock mount screws are reverse threaded. It’s usually a different color than the other screws. Silver instead of black

Ahem...after further review and a couple more drinks last night...I did what every man has been instructed NOT to do...read the directions. I downloaded the manual and indeed you are correct sir! Reversed the direction on my ratchet and viola! out came the silver screw. Why they made two bolts left hand threads and not employ the slot and lock nut idea in this area is beyond me. And now I have a chewed up lower rear arm due to my own ignorance. Since this is a discontinued model and parts are getting scarcer what parts from the 2.0 and the 2.1 interchange? I found a bent outer hinge pin also but Tekno is out of stock on these for the .4 but not for the 2.0 and the 2.1. Will they fit? Does anyone know what parts from the EB48 series of electric buggies interchange?

Ahem...after further review and a couple more drinks last night...I did what every man has been instructed NOT to do...read the directions. I downloaded the manual and indeed you are correct sir! Reversed the direction on my ratchet and viola! out came the silver screw. Why they made two bolts left hand threads and not employ the slot and lock nut idea in this area is beyond me. And now I have a chewed up lower rear arm due to my own ignorance. Since this is a discontinued model and parts are getting scarcer what parts from the 2.0 and the 2.1 interchange? I found a bent outer hinge pin also but Tekno is out of stock on these for the .4 but not for the 2.0 and the 2.1. Will they fit? Does anyone know what parts from the EB48 series of electric buggies interchange?
eBay has your hinge pins. I always take a gander at eBay when searching for parts.

Finding the correct length of hinge pins from another platform to use in place of discontinued parts is sometimes hit, or miss. Downloading newer Tekno platform manuals is always a good thing to do. Going to Tekno's site with part numbers and you'll easily see if part is compatible/direct replacement or not.

Over the years I've seen people use other brands of parts. Axial hinge pins comes to mind. Being in many different forums and many people having/using many different RC platforms helps with luck sometimes.

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/t...metric/thread-size~m3/shoulder-diameter~3-mm/

We haven't discontinued those hingepins so we will get them back in stock. I can't recall off the top of my head but I think the .4 outer pins are the longest we make, so our other ones won't work.
With regards to the screws, having the one side reverse thread guarantees that they won't back out, even if the hole is completely stripped out. So your arm might be messed up and technically stripped, but it will still work just fine.

We haven't discontinued those hingepins so we will get them back in stock. I can't recall off the top of my head but I think the .4 outer pins are the longest we make, so our other ones won't work.
With regards to the screws, having the one side reverse thread guarantees that they won't back out, even if the hole is completely stripped out. So your arm might be messed up and technically stripped, but it will still work just fine.
Indeed that was the case. That silver screw WOULD NOT come out. Was spinning round and round in its hole. Reversed my ratchet and it popped right out. I get it now!

Recent Popular Liked

Back