• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Advice stepping down to a lower kV from my 1800kV 4074 for 6S?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chili81

Reaction score
This was my first build where I had to pick the driveline, and I think I went too high. I'm on 6S with a sensored 1800kV 4074 (leopard) 15T. I understand the kV and gear ratio stuff, but don't really have a feel for the impact of motor size. I guess bigger is more powerful probably, but that's it.

So mainly I want to gear down, and also it gets too hot too easily without fans as I have it currently.

Debating between these two (mainly because they are the lowest kV I've been able to find in that size range sensored):

4068 - 1400kV
4074 - 1550kV

Would be nice to drop all the way down to 1400kV - about a 20% drop from current. But it's a 4068 vs 4074. What kind of difference would that mean? Slightly less torque I'd imagine? Maybe that would actually be good - reduce the driveline wear a tiny bit on 6S. I wonder about heat though... would be nice to not have to add fans. Does that seem like. a realistic goal?

Btw 6S it's really just a convenience thing. My 'fleet' is really 3S/6S leaning, so I'd like to just stick with that set of batteries.

... oh, I also wouldn't mind an extra 6mm of space for my crammed max8 g2.

Last edited:
And here I am running my mt410 on a 2050kv kraton motor and 15t pinion... :ROFLMAO:

Just my opinion, but for this size of truck on 6s the size of your motor matters very little. I take the example of my kaiju w stock motor (4068, 2100kv i think?) and mt410 with the kraton 4074 motor. I've ran both on a mix of 4s and 6s. Both have lots of power on 4s, maybe the mt410 slightly more. But on 6s, BOTH have way more power than I could ever use. I've never considered the kaiju on 6s any less powerful than the mt410 (or at least what power I can actually put down to the ground).

For heat: that's kind of going to be a roll of the dice. I'd wager the 4068 would run slightly warmer due to the size, even considering the lower kv. Whether it would be too much though? I could only guess that that point.

Personally, I'd just run a fan and pick whichever motor costed the least.

OK cool sounds like I'm on the right track at least.
I did go ahead and throw a fan on it last night, so I'll take it out today and see how hot the 1800kV gets with the fan on just for curiosity. Then probably still grab a cheap slower one to give me more gearing flexibility and throttle range.

I don't know, I think I'd go lower like in the 1200KV range if I were to go 6S. I have a 6S Kraton with the typical go to Max6 and 1650KV on a 20T pinion. That's a much heavier longer wheelbase and even easing it to it on a large field full trigger is a backward flip on to your lid.

I couldn't imagine a MT410 on 6S being more than a 1/4 to 1/2 trigger max. I would put a fan on what you have and see how it goes. I think I have a fan on everything but my crawler.

I don't know, I think I'd go lower like in the 1200KV range if I were to go 6S. I have a 6S Kraton with the typical go to Max6 and 1650KV on a 20T pinion. That's a much heavier longer wheelbase and even easing it to it on a large field full trigger is a backward flip on to your lid.

I couldn't imagine a MT410 on 6S being more than a 1/4 to 1/2 trigger max. I would put a fan on what you have and see how it goes. I think I have a fan on everything but my crawler.
That 1400 was the lowest I could find in that size range, sensored. I think if you go for a smaller motor, they tend to even be higher kV - but not sure. Do you know any in that size rage that are as low as 1200?

I like the 2050 Arrma blx set up on 6s. It has taught me throttle control and I have long battery life because I can never go full throttle. Just got some 4s backflips and they work great with it.

I used to run a TP power 40x74mm size 1580kv in my ET48.3 on 6S with a Castle Mamba Monster X.

The truggy had Backflip LP tyres, a couple m2c upgrades and an unbreakable bodyshell.

On 6S with a 16 or 17t pinion, it would hit at least 52mph on grass and closer to 60mph on a road, it had loads of power and would wheelie on command and backflip pretty well off jumps. I ran it pretty much flat out in an open grass park and found the motor would run around 65-70°C which was well within safe temperature.

I’d highly recommend such a motor for your MT410, it will be crazy overpowered but I guess that’s what you are looking for?

Do you know any in that size rage that are as low as 1200?

Look at TP Power

Recent Popular Liked

Back