• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

How many channels do I really need?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadWarrior

Reaction score
I am having a hard time picking a radio and receiver package. I have an ET48.3 being shipped to me and I cannot wait to start the build.
I know I need two channels, 1 for steering and 1 for throttle.
Why do I need 4 or 5?

If I go to club racing then I need an open slot for a lap transponder?

I think Sanwa and Futaba are the choice among racers and high level bashers. Spectrum not so much but the AVC looks pretty good to keep me in a straight line.

Do I really only need 3?

I am having a hard time picking a radio and receiver package. I have an ET48.3 being shipped to me and I cannot wait to start the build.
I know I need two channels, 1 for steering and 1 for throttle.
Why do I need 4 or 5?

If I go to club racing then I need an open slot for a lap transponder?

I think Sanwa and Futaba are the choice among racers and high level bashers. Spectrum not so much but the AVC looks pretty good to keep me in a straight line.

Do I really only need 3?
Two channel works but some are for only one vehicle. I would get a radio that can hold multiple vehicles memory. Most higher end mid grade radios have three channels or more but if you see a 4 channel for a few dollars more then get for the four channel. You never know when you might want to add some lights or maybe a rock crawler does the road. Even though some high end rock crawlers use up to six channels for all the accessories like lighting rear steering and wenches.
Also figure you won't be upgrading radios for a while so pay a little more now to future proof your hobby needs.

All that being said I would go with a Futaba 3pv as your first. Easy to program and the receivers aren't to expensive and have great range. You can add the R304SB receiver later or upgrade when choosing the radio combo. I just got the Futaba T4PM and really like it.

Last edited:
Some brands of radios offer integrated gyros (which are not typically allowed in racing) but you will need an additional channel to "mix" the gyro for each channel you wish to control... you can also "mix" throttle/brake so the throttle is controlled on ch2 and the brake is controlled on ch3 with a separate servo mounted on the rear to control a mechanical brake.

ESC's have drastically improved to where mechanical brake are almost never used anymore.

As far as those who need 7+ channels, those are typically crawlers and drifters for winch, light kits which actuate when braking, etc..

I have seen some local racers add an ESS to their ride and will play a custom horn to get a marshal's attention during a race:

3pv is a nice first user / beginner's radio to use. You shouldn't need anything more than 3 channels if your doing regular bashing / racing.

If your going to get into other things like Rick crawling then you may want to look into more than 3 channels as mentioned above.

I have the 3pv right now and have no issues at all. Love the range and response runs real smooth no hicups.

Recent Popular Liked

Back