• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Help! Need recommendation for right electronics for basher set-up to minimize heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smirkracing

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB410
  2. EB48
  3. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
Hi All,

I can't quite sort out my heat issues, so I'm going to start over from scratch. I thought I'd come get some advice from the experts.

Problem:
My set-up is running way too hot, and I can't figure out why. Within 5 min, the motor is too hot to touch, and if I run a whole pack, both the motor and the battery will be extremely hot (you can hold the battery, but it is much hotter than it ought to be). This is all happening on open grassy fields with short cut grass (short enough that 1/10th scale trucks run fine).

Set-up:
Pretty new EB48 2.0, built per the manual except for 100k fluid in the center diff. Currently running a Tekin Gen3 ESC, a 1700kv TPPower 4050 motor (measuring 40mm x 80 mm), and a 6s LiHV 3300 mah. I am running a 17t pinion right now, but was having the heat issues with a 15t pinion as well. I selected these components based on what some other members had run for their high-power, high-voltage set-ups, but something is working right for me. Ambient temps in NorCal where I live are pretty high, about 80-90, but again, I was having these problems earlier in the year when temps were 10-20 cooler as well (obviously the problem is even more severe now). I am running proline badlands MX (which are a bit larger and heavier than regular buggy tires, but definitely not 'very large' by overall 8th scale standards.

I am running a desert buggy cage with no panels, so there is tons of air flow over all the components.

Goal:
I'd love to be able to run a whole battery pack without cooking anything (motor or battery - the ESC seems to be handling all of this so far).
I am willing to buy a new motor and lipo as needed, and I am also willing to give up some top speed / performance in order to just run reliably and run cool.

So, with that background, I'd be grateful for some recommendations that would run cool.

Thanks!!

Hi All,

I can't quite sort out my heat issues, so I'm going to start over from scratch. I thought I'd come get some advice from the experts.

Problem:
My set-up is running way too hot, and I can't figure out why. Within 5 min, the motor is too hot to touch, and if I run a whole pack, both the motor and the battery will be extremely hot (you can hold the battery, but it is much hotter than it ought to be). This is all happening on open grassy fields with short cut grass (short enough that 1/10th scale trucks run fine).

Set-up:
Pretty new EB48 2.0, built per the manual except for 100k fluid in the center diff. Currently running a Tekin Gen3 ESC, a 1700kv TPPower 4050 motor (measuring 40mm x 80 mm), and a 6s LiHV 3300 mah. I am running a 17t pinion right now, but was having the heat issues with a 15t pinion as well. I selected these components based on what some other members had run for their high-power, high-voltage set-ups, but something is working right for me. Ambient temps in NorCal where I live are pretty high, about 80-90, but again, I was having these problems earlier in the year when temps were 10-20 cooler as well (obviously the problem is even more severe now). I am running proline badlands MX (which are a bit larger and heavier than regular buggy tires, but definitely not 'very large' by overall 8th scale standards.

I am running a desert buggy cage with no panels, so there is tons of air flow over all the components.

Goal:
I'd love to be able to run a whole battery pack without cooking anything (motor or battery - the ESC seems to be handling all of this so far).
I am willing to buy a new motor and lipo as needed, and I am also willing to give up some top speed / performance in order to just run reliably and run cool.

So, with that background, I'd be grateful for some recommendations that would run cool.

Thanks!!
That battery is pretty low capacity. I’d try to cram in the largest battery possible, something like 5000mAh or higher. Capacity>discharge rating always as battery companies each have their own standards for coming up with discharge ratings, so typically it’s best to look for higher capacity batteries vs higher discharge rating. Higher capacity batteries struggle less in delivering lots of burst current, so they don’t heat up as much. SMC makes good batteries

I found a thread where they fit a pretty large battery in the .3 under the body. You could definitely fit a tall battery since you’re running a cage.

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/monster-eb48-3-buggy.971/post-9512

I’m running these Turnigy Graphene 6s 5000mAh 75C LiPos in my ET 2.0. The 4092 motor pulls 4000 watts (170 amps, 5 HP) and they do get a bit warm. They should be able to push the lighter buggy easily though. I did make a small guard to protect the battery from the outdrive though since it’s a large pack.
E6F5F122-A836-4E60-8C11-BA7D8D89B6D5.jpeg

As for the motor I’m not sure what to recommend besides checking for binding in the drivetrain and running fans. You should also try to get a cheap IR temp gun to get relatively accurate temp readings.

Last edited:
That battery is pretty low capacity. I’d try to cram in the largest battery possible, something like 5000mAh or higher. Capacity>discharge rating always as battery companies each have their own standards for coming up with discharge ratings, so typically it’s best to look for higher capacity batteries vs higher discharge rating. Higher capacity batteries struggle less in delivering lots of burst current, so they don’t heat up as much. SMC makes good batteries

I found a thread where they fit a pretty large battery in the .3 under the body. You could definitely fit a tall battery since you’re running a cage.

https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/monster-eb48-3-buggy.971/post-9512

I’m running these Turnigy Graphene 6s 5000mAh 75C LiPos in my ET 2.0. The 4092 motor pulls 4000 watts (170 amps, 5 HP) and they do get a bit warm. They should be able to push the lighter buggy easily though. I did make a small guard to protect the battery from the outdrive though since it’s a large pack.
View attachment 6724

As for the motor I’m not sure what to recommend besides checking for binding in the drivetrain and running fans. You should also try to get a cheap IR temp gun to get relatively accurate temp readings.

Thanks for the tips. 4092 motor - wow! That's really huge. I thought the motor I was running was large... apparently not!

Can you talk a little more about your set up?

Thanks for the tips. 4092 motor - wow! That's really huge. I thought the motor I was running was large... apparently not!

Can you talk a little more about your set up?
Yeah for sure -- I'm planning on making a full build thread once I do a couple more things to it, but here it is as of now.

Castle MMX8s
Rocket RC 4092 1650kV Motor
Turnigy Graphene 5000mAh 75C 6s LiPo
MKS HBL550 Servo
Dboots 6s Backflip tires
18/44 Gearing
LFR Strife Body for the NT48.3
YR dual aluminum fan/heatsink combo

4B39B687-09FB-418C-9A89-5B41E80952D0.jpeg

It's geared for 75mph. I run it really hard. I like to let the motor cool down between runs since it still gets pretty hot even with the dual fans. I'm considering a TPpower 4070. The ESC runs cool, max temp according to the data logs was 160F after the third back to back battery, ambient was 80F and I'm running the stock fan, avg temp was 130F. I have a 40mm HV, 28mm tall aluminum case fan I'm going to install and keep running all the time to keep the ESC really cool. I also made some bumpers myself and will install a TBR wheelie bar. M2C said they're going to make upgrades so I'll definitely try to grab some chassis braces once they're available.

Last edited:
waiting for the motor to cool down is what I had been doing for about a year now, but no more :) love that 1520 motor for bashing ! ! ! don't even think about getting a 1515 can for bashing, it'll over heat in 15 min or less.

Recent Popular Liked

Back