• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

EB 48 2.0 center diff problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_26

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just finished building my new EB48 2.0 and took it out for run today. After some light running for about 15 minutes I started getting abnormal noises and figured out that the center diff was slipping. I pulled it apart and found that the spider gears had starting eating into the plastic housing. There were chunks of plastic floating around in the oil, although all the metal gears seemed to be in good shape still. Has anyone else had issues with this? This is my first kit build. Could this be caused by too much oil in the diff? I'm working on getting a new housing (TKR9115), but I really don't want to repeat this. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• tekno center diff.jpg
    tekno center diff.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 516
Sounds like you cooked your diff, what weight fluid were you using?

How many cells are you running and what is your gearing and motor can size/KV?

I am wondering if there was some burs on a spider gear that caused it to over heat? Spin an hobby knife inside the spider gears to clean up and burs. You want to make sure the spider gears can spin freely on the cross pins.

You can clearly see the circular pattern melted in the diff cup in your pic, that is what makes me think it had something to do with heat and that gear.

Thanks Bill and Tbuggy. I think I figured it out...this was my first run and before the diff issue came up the set screw which connects the driveshaft to the rear diff came loose. It took me a minute to figure out something was wrong. I guess during that time the center diff was spinning like crazy and must have heated up and melted the plastic housing. Lesson learned. Set screw has a ton of threadlock on it now.

Also to answer Bill’s questions, I’m running 10k fluid (stock) 4S @ 1900kV HobbyWing.

Hmm my set screw came off at the weekend too.

Kinda new to the rc so went round the track a couple of times before I brought it in and a lad at the track helped me troubleshoot. Grub screw missing.

Diff seems OK though. I imagine if it goes it goes.

Although I might inspect it, as apparently its good to replace diff oil after the gears have bedded in on a new set.

Just peaked inside mine. Oil is grey, so metal deposits, but no sign of breakage.

Oil level was lower than expected. Had 5 packs through it only.

Hmm my set screw came off at the weekend too.

Kinda new to the rc so went round the track a couple of times before I brought it in and a lad at the track helped me troubleshoot. Grub screw missing.

Diff seems OK though. I imagine if it goes it goes.

Although I might inspect it, as apparently its good to replace diff oil after the gears have bedded in on a new set.
Sorry to hear, but I’m glad you caught it in time (unlike me). I got a new diff case and went through 3 packs today...so much fun.

Thanks Bill and Tbuggy. I think I figured it out...this was my first run and before the diff issue came up the set screw which connects the driveshaft to the rear diff came loose. It took me a minute to figure out something was wrong. I guess during that time the center diff was spinning like crazy and must have heated up and melted the plastic housing. Lesson learned. Set screw has a ton of threadlock on it now.
You have melted the inside, and I melted the outside ? :ROFLMAO:...
20200609_173018.jpg
20200609_173119.jpg

...with a little help from Mother Earth coming onboard. It's just one of the risks I take running on ungroomed backyard track. Happened back on June 9th, but I'm still running the same diff case. I got a new one waiting for when the day comes. I just want to see how much torture this buggy can take.

As a side note, I too had the set screws come loose on both the front and rear diff couplers. Not enough to disengage the driveline, but bet enough to let the diff pinion gears walk a bit, and work the bearings out about 2mm from the gearboxes.

Recent Popular Liked

Back