• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Cheap but effective soldering iron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a heads up. The 60 watt hobbico iron can be had for 10 bucks and it comes with 2 chisel tips. Works great. I was a noob to soldering and it hasnt let me down at all.

For someone on a tight budget like me its a great starter iron
Weller is pretty legit with good prices

The Hakko is an awesome soldering iron. Never any issues and comes with a lot of different tips.

I recently upgraded to the Weller we1010na. It's a 70watt iron with digital control. Very nice unit. Got it on sale on release date earlier this year. Very powerful unit.

Like the thread title suggests...cheap but effective soldering iron.

I like to try out low budget tools for my needs. I went out on a limb and got one of them $30 "936" soldering stations from a New Jersey USA supplier. For the past couple of years, I'm super happy with it.

Attachments

• 936.JPG
    936.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 529
I used to use the cheap soldering irons and they work. But ever since I picked up a Hakko 936 years ago, I'll never go back. So much nicer and just easy to use. The ability to dial in the heat you need is so useful as well.

+Hakko...I know the title is "cheap" but if you factor in the cost of the kit, motor or esc...paying $100 bucks for a Hakko is cheap. It is the last soldering iron you'll buy. Bought mine 15 years ago and has never failed me. Get Hakko OEM tips...never buy third party. good luck!!

If I were to buy a new iron for myself today I would buy the $18 - Tabiger Kit (60W adjustable) which includes both a fine point tip and chisel tip.

I am still using my ancient RadioShack 50W adjustable iron that I got many years ago, and I would expect the SOLREP iron to perform equally, if not better. It's worth noting that the tips from RadioShack were junk, but I replaced it with a TENMA 21-10625 tip and that same tip has lasted me 2+ years and this may be the last tip I ever need to buy!

I just want to say that the tip is more important than the iron you select, be sure it's a quality chisel tip and that the width of the chisel is at least as wide as the diameter of the wire you are soldering. If the tip degrades and needs to be replaced, then switch brands until you find a quality tip that lasts, I highly recommend TENMA tips!

Here's a demonstration to show you that an expensive iron is not necessary:

Last edited:
With soldering, you have to put your money in the tip and the solder you use. A $10 / 60W iron can work well, just don’t use the crapy solder that comes with is.

Recent Popular Liked

Back