• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Best motor for 5-6s?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoDa75

Reaction score
I have wanted a motor for the MT410 that is good for mainly 5-6s use, sometimes 4s. I have heard good things about Posiden, TP, and others. I was wondering what experience y’all have had with what motors. Price range is about $120

With that voltage you probably will want to get a larger 74mm "Truggy" can and ~1700kv.

I raised the same question multiple times and on multiple groups. Here are the learnings I'm gathering so far:
  • Generic brushless motors are getting better and better. Some $35 cheapies from eBay will perform close to the $100 stuff (I confirm)
  • In that voltage range, cogging is not an issue. For a basher you definitely do not need it to be sensored. Save the money and the extra cable array.
  • More expensive motors will run cooler and longer run times (not tested)
  • Choosing the right kv range for the application is really what it is all about. Extreme values will be hard to compensate with tiny pinions or fans.
Some of the brands getting love these days: HobbyStar (good value), Castle knock offs (non-sensored), legit Castle (sensored) and of course TP, which sits in your ballpark price wise.

That's a wide voltage range. It will be tricky to select a motor that can handle a 50% increase in voltage (4s to 6s) given the somewhat limited pinion range on the MT410.

If you have a lot of packs at 4, 5 and 6s, and you want to use all of them, then you might want to to dial in your motor selection for 5s with an 18t pinion. I suspect that you'll want to get down into the 1400kv range. That gives you the room to increase to 20t or more for 4s, and to drop down to 15t on 6s.

I have a TP Power 4050 motor (81mm, 1700kv) and it gets too hot on 6s with a 15t pinion.

In terms of brands, I've tried Tenshock, TP Power, Cordova Research. My favorite is probably Tenshock, although to be honest, they're all just fine, and I don't see a big difference between those brands. The Cordova motors are very pricey and I am not sure they deliver that much more performance. Over time I've ended up owning more Tenshock motors than any other brand - they seem just right to me in terms of fit and finish, they have decent parts support, and they're very reliable.

That's a wide voltage range. It will be tricky to select a motor that can handle a 50% increase in voltage (4s to 6s) given the somewhat limited pinion range on the MT410.

If you have a lot of packs at 4, 5 and 6s, and you want to use all of them, then you might want to to dial in your motor selection for 5s with an 18t pinion. I suspect that you'll want to get down into the 1400kv range. That gives you the room to increase to 20t or more for 4s, and to drop down to 15t on 6s.

I have a TP Power 4050 motor (81mm, 1700kv) and it gets too hot on 6s with a 15t pinion.

In terms of brands, I've tried Tenshock, TP Power, Cordova Research. My favorite is probably Tenshock, although to be honest, they're all just fine, and I don't see a big difference between those brands. The Cordova motors are very pricey and I am not sure they deliver that much more performance. Over time I've ended up owning more Tenshock motors than any other brand - they seem just right to me in terms of fit and finish, they have decent parts support, and they're very reliable.
Have you tried the 812 l ? If so how did you like it

Thank you! I own a mini ten shock motor for my 1/14 car. Good quality. About 1500kv would be good then?

Have you tried the 812 l ? If so how did you like it

I have the x802, which is similar... great motor, but not nearly big enough for a basher based on the ET4.8, which gets to be pretty heavy. The tires for that chassis are pretty large (6in on the low end, often 6.5" or more, even) so your final gear ratio ends up being pretty high, and my temps were out of control with that motor.

Thank you! I own a mini ten shock motor for my 1/14 car. Good quality. About 1500kv would be good then?

Probably.... but depends on your tires and driving style. If you run huge tires and big battery packs, and you want long run-times, then you need a pretty hefty motor (in terms of length).

Recent Popular Liked

Back