• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Best Motor/ESC combo for a n00b

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chozwoz

Premium Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
Driving Style
Racer
I'm having a hard time deciding on what to power my new to me EB48.4. It will obviously be 4S but in trying to research and learn a few things it seems the basher set have bigger, heavier motors than what is needed to actually turn consecutive laps and race. I don't want to beat the piss out it, I want to be on the podium one day. The track I will primarily drive and attempt to race at is FTR Raceway in Foley, MN. Good sized track with lots of jumps and turns, looks pretty technical if you ask me. I don't see the need for blistering speed as there really isn't a flat straightaway anywhere. But lots of torque and traction for quick acceleration landing from jumps and coming out of corners may be the ticket. What brand of combo and what pieces would be good for me to have plenty of power to start off with and enable me to progress to the point where I could possibly start thinking of even more juice? I mean I don't want to under power it and then progress quickly and have to spend even more money for a quick upgrade. At the same time a small nuclear reactor making it too spooky to drive isn't gonna help either. Is there a happy medium somewhere? Can I get away with used or should I bite the bullet and buy new?

any 4268-1900KV motor will do fine, for larger tracks you'll want a higher KV motor.

I currently run a 2500KV motor from Orion but have the throttle dialed back to 90% EPA because the current layout doesn't need that much motor, when they change the layout for long straights I may increase it later.

HobbyWing is a relatively safe brand to consider as far as combos go:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...ducts/xr8-pro-combo-g3?variant=40846176944243

any 4268-1900KV motor will do fine, for larger tracks you'll want a higher KV motor.

I currently run a 2500KV motor from Orion but have the throttle dialed back to 90% EPA because the current layout doesn't need that much motor, when they change the layout for long straights I may increase it later.

HobbyWing is a relatively safe brand to consider as far as combos go:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...ducts/xr8-pro-combo-g3?variant=40846176944243
What about a Castle 1515 (2200kv) and a Mamba Monster X?

What about a Castle 1515 (2200kv) and a Mamba Monster X?

Nothing wrong with Castle if that's what you like. They're not as widely used in the racing world but it's a solid system. I have 2 or 3 of the 1515 MambaX combos with no issues. I'll say I don't race competitively though, just fun tracking. I really like their data logging.

Recent Popular Liked

Back