• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Best non-Tekin ESC that fits in the ET48.3 with a Tekin motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the best non-Tekin brand ESC that fits in the ET48.3 with a Tekin T8 Gen3 motor? The Tekin T8 brushless motors are pretty long, so not every brand ESC fits in the ET48.3 next to it. My Tekin RX8 ESC just died and I don't plan on getting another one because I asked around and apparently they die all the time... I posted on facebook and within an hour had 5 different people tell me they've gone through several RX8s with the same exact problem (error code lights 1, 2 & 6, 7) I had.

So I'd like to put in another brand ESC. It sounds like Hobbywing Xerun XR8 Plus is ideal for the Truggy but it's too large to fit into the ESC mounting location on the ET48.3. I've heard of people using the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT version, but I have a concern. It's only rated for 4s, which is fine because that's all I use, but it's smaller and specifically says it's only good for 1/8 Buggy and 1/10 Truggy. So it specifically does not say 1/8 Truggy... I'm concerned it will overheat or overstress with an ET48.3. Any suggestions here for racing with the Hobbywing SCT ESC?

This ET48.3 is my racer. I've heard good things about Castle brand but I've also heard people say they are better for basher RCs and not racer RCs because they aren't as smooth as other brands. People say they're incredibly durable for bashing and literally last years but just aren't as "smooth" when accelerating on the track. This is just a common opinion I've heard on several forums, I've never owned a Castle myself. Any suggestions here for racing with a Castle ESC?

Another option I've seen people doing on this forum, making a custom ESC mount for in the rear of the ET48.3. I'd prefer to NOT do this because I'm no 3d printing expert and would have to use a 3d printing service. But I suppose this could work because then I could just get the HobbyWing ESC that's meant for 1/8 Truggies and mount it in the rear of the truck.

Another option, keep pouring money into RX8s every time mine breaks. I'm not too fond of this idea becuase of how costly it could be. I had one person tell me they did that and literally went through 5 RX8s before they switched to HobbyWing ESC, and their HobbyWing has been going strong for 1 year so far.

Can anyone suggest any other brands that will fit comfortably in the ET48.3 with a Tekin T8 motor? I have a Team Orion ESC which came used with some parts I bought recently. So the jury's still out on Team Orion brand ESCs for me.
SKYRC TORO TS120 PRO or the TS160 PRO. Ive been using SKYRC for about 10 years with excellent performance and unchallenged tuning options. I also use their 1/8 scale esc's with the same opinion. They also make really nice chargers and accessories.

I would only limit the SkyRC Toro brand of ESC's for flat on-road use only. I too have used them for many years and never had a problem with the ESC's in my on-road cars, however when I started using them for my off-road cars every single one of the ESC's (both 1/10 and 1/8) would start to glitch after a landing from a large jump, the ESC would momentarily lock at full throttle and I would have no steering for about a second. I tried to deal with it for club racing for so long, normally it caused the car to wreck into a wall of make me blow a corner, but the final straw was when my EB48 went full throttle into the shin of a turn marshal which left a nasty bruise which lasted for 6+ weeks when I decided to toss all 4 of my SkyRC ESC's in the trash... just not worth the safety risk, they can't handle hard chassis slaps.

I even tried using Kyosho Gel shock absorbing tape and that didn't make any difference. Several other drivers in our area didn't take my advice and they bought the ESC's too, only to experience the same exact problem I had, there was a 100% fail rate with every single SkyRC ESC we touched at the club, 12+ ESC's tested.

Recent Popular Liked

Back