• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Best non-Tekin ESC that fits in the ET48.3 with a Tekin motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lampshade9909

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
Driving Style
Racer
What's the best non-Tekin brand ESC that fits in the ET48.3 with a Tekin T8 Gen3 motor? The Tekin T8 brushless motors are pretty long, so not every brand ESC fits in the ET48.3 next to it. My Tekin RX8 ESC just died and I don't plan on getting another one because I asked around and apparently they die all the time... I posted on facebook and within an hour had 5 different people tell me they've gone through several RX8s with the same exact problem (error code lights 1, 2 & 6, 7) I had.

So I'd like to put in another brand ESC. It sounds like Hobbywing Xerun XR8 Plus is ideal for the Truggy but it's too large to fit into the ESC mounting location on the ET48.3. I've heard of people using the Hobbywing Xerun XR8 SCT version, but I have a concern. It's only rated for 4s, which is fine because that's all I use, but it's smaller and specifically says it's only good for 1/8 Buggy and 1/10 Truggy. So it specifically does not say 1/8 Truggy... I'm concerned it will overheat or overstress with an ET48.3. Any suggestions here for racing with the Hobbywing SCT ESC?

This ET48.3 is my racer. I've heard good things about Castle brand but I've also heard people say they are better for basher RCs and not racer RCs because they aren't as smooth as other brands. People say they're incredibly durable for bashing and literally last years but just aren't as "smooth" when accelerating on the track. This is just a common opinion I've heard on several forums, I've never owned a Castle myself. Any suggestions here for racing with a Castle ESC?

Another option I've seen people doing on this forum, making a custom ESC mount for in the rear of the ET48.3. I'd prefer to NOT do this because I'm no 3d printing expert and would have to use a 3d printing service. But I suppose this could work because then I could just get the HobbyWing ESC that's meant for 1/8 Truggies and mount it in the rear of the truck.

Another option, keep pouring money into RX8s every time mine breaks. I'm not too fond of this idea becuase of how costly it could be. I had one person tell me they did that and literally went through 5 RX8s before they switched to HobbyWing ESC, and their HobbyWing has been going strong for 1 year so far.

Can anyone suggest any other brands that will fit comfortably in the ET48.3 with a Tekin T8 motor? I have a Team Orion ESC which came used with some parts I bought recently. So the jury's still out on Team Orion brand ESCs for me.

The XR8 plus is a great ESC and whoever said they don't fit didn't actually try themselves. Mine fits just fine in my EB48.3

Hobbywing is going to be way smoother than the Castle. Of the two; Castle for bashing, Hobbywing for racing.

The XR8 plus is a great ESC and whoever said they don't fit didn't actually try themselves. Mine fits just fine in my EB48.3

Hobbywing is going to be way smoother than the Castle. Of the two; Castle for bashing, Hobbywing for racing.

Check the links I posted above in the OP. An experienced RCer could not fit it in the ET48.3 and even made a video about it showing that the fit was too tight to work.

I have watched a ton of his videos...although not that one.
The fitment has never posed a problem for me. I have been running it for over a year now.

The castle is no smaller FYI.

Although if you are running a longer can motor then I could see there being a problem...I wasn't thinking about that at first, my bad.

I have watched a ton of his videos...although not that one.
The fitment has never posed a problem for me. I have been running it for over a year now.

The castle is no smaller FYI.

Although if you are running a longer can motor then I could see there being a problem...I wasn't thinking about that at first, my bad.
Can you measure your motor can? Ignore the shaft that the pinion sits on and just measure the black can.
I have just under 2 inches of space between the motor and the servo.

AAC030A2-8986-404D-AE69-CAB44C2C3ACE.jpeg

01B169EE-FCC8-4966-A7A8-1648560F9D07.jpeg

Looking at the measurements in the specs, this is what he was seeing. I have just barely under 2" in width for the ESC mounting location. And the Hobbywing XR8 Plus is 1.9" wide. So that's the super tiny wiggle room you can see in Mark Santa Maria's video. In your post with your Buggy, yours looks snug too, but not that snug. Is your motor can smaller than mine?

Screen Shot 2020-01-01 at 8.08.00 PM.png

I used to run a Tekin motor paired with a Hobbywing SCT Pro ESC for a while in my SCT410, however I would run into temp issues in the summer... all my problems went away after I replaced the Tekin motor with a HobbyWing motor. What I would later discover is that Tekin motors tend to pull more power in general (some say less efficient) and they tend to work better with Tekin ESC's or any ESC that provides a "current limiter" but unforunately I don't know of any 4S capable ESC's which offer a current limiter other than Tekin.

I would make it a package deal if you want to keep things simple... keep the brand matched between the ESC/Motor when running anything larger than a 540 motor.

I used to run a Tekin motor paired with a Hobbywing SCT Pro ESC for a while in my SCT410, however I would run into temp issues in the summer... all my problems went away after I replaced the Tekin motor with a HobbyWing motor. What I would later discover is that Tekin motors tend to pull more power in general (some say less efficient) and they tend to work better with Tekin ESC's or any ESC that provides a "current limiter" but unforunately I don't know of any 4S capable ESC's which offer a current limiter other than Tekin.

I would make it a package deal if you want to keep things simple... keep the brand matched between the ESC/Motor when running anything larger than a 540 motor.
That's good to know. I'll do some more research on that. I really like my Tekin motor which is why I was hoping to stay with it.

Did you avoid using the Tekin ESC with your Tekin motor because of ESC breakage issues? What motor/ESC combos do you go with today?

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my Tekin ESCs to last longer than 3 months without having an internal short? This would be in the event I want to stay with a Tekin motor and just get another Tekin ESC? Should I wrap it in bubble wrap? 17 layers of double sided tape? Drive perfect? :-D

I never ran a Tekin ESC, way too expensive and I didn't need all the extra features they offer, plus I saw too many failures at the track where Hobbywing tends to offer longer lifespan for a cheaper price, though HobbyWing has fewer features. The newer XR10 does offer a current limiter so HobbyWing is taking a step in the right direction to where I could run the XR10 with a Tekin motor on 2S in my SCT, but I've moved away from Tekin motors at this point.

What I have learned over the years is that when it comes to motor technology. you can only do so much which makes them significantly more reliable, even budget brands like GoolRC have proved VERY reliable in my ET48 with their sensored 4274-2000KV truggy motor.

I've seen a shift at the track in my area where years ago Tekin was the most popular brand of ESC, but lately it's HobbyWing that is the most popular around here now, for a good reason, they are more dependable and less expensive.... that may change, if Tekin makes a new release that is more "impact resistant" then I expect them to make a comeback.

Many people will use Kyosho Gel Tape to help absorb impacts from hard landings, but you just need to learn how to be a better driver (land on the downramps) if you want your electronics to last longer, or switch brands, good luck!

Looking at the measurements in the specs, this is what he was seeing. I have just barely under 2" in width for the ESC mounting location. And the Hobbywing XR8 Plus is 1.9" wide. So that's the super tiny wiggle room you can see in Mark Santa Maria's video. In your post with your Buggy, yours looks snug too, but not that snug. Is your motor can smaller than mine?

View attachment 3686

Yes it looks like you are running the 4038 (which is typical for truggy). I have the 4030 in my buggy. Its a good 8mm smaller.

I never ran a Tekin ESC, way too expensive and I didn't need all the extra features they offer, plus I saw too many failures at the track where Hobbywing tends to offer longer lifespan for a cheaper price, though HobbyWing has fewer features. The newer XR10 does offer a current limiter so HobbyWing is taking a step in the right direction to where I could run the XR10 with a Tekin motor on 2S in my SCT, but I've moved away from Tekin motors at this point.

What I have learned over the years is that when it comes to motor technology. you can only do so much which makes them significantly more reliable, even budget brands like GoolRC have proved VERY reliable in my ET48 with their sensored 4274-2000KV truggy motor.

I've seen a shift at the track in my area where years ago Tekin was the most popular brand of ESC, but lately it's HobbyWing that is the most popular around here now, for a good reason, they are more dependable and less expensive.... that may change, if Tekin makes a new release that is more "impact resistant" then I expect them to make a comeback.

Many people will use Kyosho Gel Tape to help absorb impacts from hard landings, but you just need to learn how to be a better driver (land on the downramps) if you want your electronics to last longer, or switch brands, good luck!

Good info. Thanks. Looks like that GoolRC motor is a few mm shorter than the Tekin motor which probably helped you squeeze it in there along side your HobbyWing ESC.

That all makes sense regarding the trends.

That's good to know. I'll do some more research on that. I really like my Tekin motor which is why I was hoping to stay with it.

Did you avoid using the Tekin ESC with your Tekin motor because of ESC breakage issues? What motor/ESC combos do you go with today?

Any suggestions as to what I can do to get my Tekin ESCs to last longer than 3 months without having an internal short? This would be in the event I want to stay with a Tekin motor and just get another Tekin ESC? Should I wrap it in bubble wrap? 17 layers of double sided tape? Drive perfect? :-D
You could try the tekin rx4, its waterproof and suppose to be more rugged. I talked with tekin and they said it will do everything the rx8 does.

You could try the tekin rx4, its waterproof and suppose to be more rugged. I talked with tekin and they said it will do everything the rx8 does.

Rocks, Dirt, Snow, Sand, Mud, Trail and Track; the RX4 is no-limits RC fun.

Great idea. Though my first impression could be wrong, it appears to be tough against the elements and meant for crawlers. Not necessarily against hard accelerating/braking/racing on 4s sailing over a triple. I'd certainly try one if it was handed to me. But I'm not sure I want to pay for it to experiment on the track with :-\

It can handle 6s. Looks exactly like the rx8. I talked to tekin and they said it would be good in a 1/8th scale. I was curious to because it's for crawling. I'm sure tekin know there stuff. I might try one in the near future.

It can handle 6s. Looks exactly like the rx8. I talked to tekin and they said it would be good in a 1/8th scale. I was curious to because it's for crawling. I'm sure tekin know there stuff. I might try one in the near future.
If you do, let me know! Did they say it was more internally durable? Or just waterproof and a harder shell that can withstand rocks hitting it? The break me and many other racers have had with the RX8 is just from repeaed jump impacts. A connection internal to the ESC seems to be breaking or shorting. It's possible the upgrades to this RX4 are only external and the internals will still break the same. That would probably be the case if they have the same exact circuit boards. Unless they somehow pad the circuit board better which could be true.

I might just call them and find out. I went through a few rx8's myself. Had some catch fire after hard landings. Now I run a arrma blx185 esc in my tekno and it works great. I miss the size and the clean look of the tekin.

I might just call them and find out. I went through a few rx8's myself. Had some catch fire after hard landings. Now I run a arrma blx185 esc in my tekno and it works great. I miss the size and the clean look of the tekin.

Do it! Let me know what you find, I'm curious too. Was it the gen 3 that caught fire? I've heard stories if the gen 2 and earlier catching fire, but not many stories of gen 3 catching fire. Makes me wonder if they "fixed" something along the upgrade path for gen 3.

Do it! Let me know what you find, I'm curious too. Was it the gen 3 that caught fire? I've heard stories if the gen 2 and earlier catching fire, but not many stories of gen 3 catching fire. Makes me wonder if they "fixed" something along the upgrade path for gen 3.
Just got off the phone with tekin. He told me the rx4 is the brother of the rx8. And that it would be great in a tekno 1/8th platform. It has all the features of the rx8, but they label it for crawlers because its element proof. He said the internals are podded. Which means that they place it in the bottom case and fill it with liquid that hardens and fully encases the internals. Which should help with hard landings. And it's just a hair smaller footprint than the rx8. Maybe this will be my new go to esc!

He said the internals are podded. Which means that they place it in the bottom case and fill it with liquid that hardens and fully encases the internals. Which should help with hard landings. And it's just a hair smaller footprint than the rx8. Maybe this will be my new go to esc!

That sounds amazing!

Recent Popular Liked

Back