• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Why does a 1/10 scale look bigger than a 1/8 scale?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hscic

Reaction score
I know the scale of each vehicle but visually, why does the 1/10 Rustler VXL look bigger or almost the same as a 1/8 scale Tekno EB48.3
EB48.3 and Traxxas Rustler VXL with TSM 122919.JPG

1/10 Monster Truck vs 1/8 Buggy is comparing apples to oranges... 1/10 based quality is typically very poorly designed with components that tend to break far more easily where 1/8 based designs are typically made with thicker plastic arms and lots of aluminum/carbon upgrades. ... your pictured 1/8 buggy will significantly out perform that 1/10 monster truck on a 1/8 race track, plus the 1/8 buggy will be significantly less expensive and easier to maintain over the long haul by not having to replace parts nearly as often where 1/10 parts typically wear out much faster.

The rusty looks bigger but weighs significantly less than the EB48 even though the buggy is race optimized.
The 1/10 scale rating is also defined by 2s/3s electronics, plastic driveline/shafts/chassis...

1/10 Monster Truck vs 1/8 Buggy is comparing apples to oranges... 1/10 based quality is typically very poorly designed with components that tend to break far more easily where 1/8 based designs are typically made with thicker plastic arms and lots of aluminum/carbon upgrades. ... your pictured 1/8 buggy will significantly out perform that 1/10 monster truck on a 1/8 race track, plus the 1/8 buggy will be significantly less expensive and easier to maintain over the long haul by not having to replace parts nearly as often where 1/10 parts typically wear out much faster.

I understand about the quality of the 1/10 basher vs 1/8 racer. Just was wondering why a 1/10 scale looks bigger than a 1/8 scale based on mathematics. Thanks

The rusty looks bigger but weighs significantly less than the EB48 even though the buggy is race optimized.
The 1/10 scale rating is also defined by 2s/3s electronics, plastic driveline/shafts/chassis...

I am familiar with the quality of the build for each vehicle but I was just wondering about size. I took my rusty to the park and my racer friend brought his sct, and the sct was significantly bigger than the rusty. Thanks for the input

These are not based on cars that actually exist...this leaves things open for interpretation by the manufacturer. You are also comparing a bashing rig to a racing rig so they are designed fairly differently.

If you where to compare a single manufacturers line up then the scale between the two becomes more apparent.

These are not based on cars that actually exist...this leaves things open for interpretation by the manufacturer. You are also comparing a bashing rig to a racing rig so they are designed fairly differently.

If you where to compare a single manufacturers line up then the scale between the two becomes more apparent.

I thought scaling was a standard thing...I guess better get a truggy or sct to more accurately compare the differences in scaling lol. Thanks

Hey look! It's a Tekno-E-Revo. Yeah that 1/8, 1/10 scale thing annoys me too. I feel like the MT410 should just have a 48 in it instead of a 10. I literally uses the same parts as all the 1/8 scale stuff. But because it's called a "Monster truck" it gets the 1/10 scale tag.

Here is my newly aquired EB48.3 next to a pair of Slashes. Nearly the same wheelbase, not sure about track width. The 4x4 Rustler is almost the same as the Slash except for ~1 inch shorter chassis. If you could fit a low body like the Tekno has on a Rustler 4wd and some SC or 1/8 scale tires then I bet it would shrink considerably.

BTW, the Rusty 4x4 feels like a 2wd compaired to my Slash. I have not gotten to drive the Tekno yet. It arrived on the same day that I had to leave or 5 days. The slash beats him but about 1 second per lap on a track were a really good lap (for me) is mid-16 seconds.

20200106_104740[1].jpg

Interesting...thanks. Let me know how you like the Tekno. I can control the tekno a lot better than the traxxas and it jumps better....but I do have good electronics compared to the Rusty 4x4 VXL. However, I think the Rusty is faster.

Wow, I either need to sleep more or drink less before I post. I just re-read that second paragraph and its a mess. I am glad you were able to translate it into something that made sense.

My Slash has a center diff and more track-worthy tires(Duratrax Shotguns) now but I don't remember it ever being as difficult to drive as his Rusty. His Rustler wasn't a VXL so maybe they skimp on other parts too. The Bug-bodied Slash in that pic still has a slipper, maybe I will try switching back to that and see what happens. Our track time would be more entertaining if our lap times were closer.

It looks like I will NOT be on the track this weekend with lots of rain forecasted..

I thought scaling was a standard thing...I guess better get a truggy or sct to more accurately compare the differences in scaling lol. Thanks

When it comes to racing rigs then your assumption is more true about a standard.

But with basher rigs, there are no restrictions telling the manufacturers what kind of dimensions or specs on what motors, ESCs, wheels, wheel base dimensions, bodies, etc that are required to be used on the rig in order to compete, because they dont get to compete unless they comply with the standards.

When it comes to racing rigs then your assumption is more true about a standard.

But with basher rigs, there are no restrictions telling the manufacturers what kind of dimensions or specs on what motors, ESCs, wheels, wheel base dimensions, bodies, etc that are required to be used on the rig in order to compete, because they dont get to compete unless they comply with the standards.

Thanks....that makes total sense....I believe the only basher rig that I heard of that complete on the track is the Slash 4x4 so it must comply with standards..

For the sake of discussion, here are pics of my 1/8 scale Tekno EB48.3 and ET48.3. Why is 1/8 scale so different in size? I realize one is a buggy and one is a truggy but both are 1/8 scale.

ET AND EB FRONT WITH 1-8 WHEELS 012720.JPG
ET AND EB SIDE BY SIDE WITH 1-8 WHEELS1  012720.JPG

Why does that ET look so familiar !

Because it was one of your many babies you wanted to get rid of...LOL. Thanks for the sale. Won't be recognizable once I replace the body with a custom painted race body like the red one. Got a Leadfinger strife truggy body.

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back