• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

First Tekno build... how long does it take?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longintheshorts

Reaction score
I just picked up an EB48 2.1 kit. This will be my first Tekno build. I have loads of RC experience. I started building Tamiya kits in the 80's around 10 years old... I'm now 44. I have all the tools, etc. I am trying to gauge how long the build will take. I know this depends on the person but just trying to get a general idea.

I just picked up an EB48 2.1 kit. This will be my first Tekno build. I have loads of RC experience. I started building Tamiya kits in the 80's around 10 years old... I'm now 44. I have all the tools, etc. I am trying to gauge how long the build will take. I know this depends on the person but just trying to get a general idea.

Sounds like you are very experienced. I'd ballpark it at 8-12 hrs.

I've built four tekno kits, including one last month, and I think it took me something like 5 evenings, roughly 1.5-2 hrs per evening, not counting body work. Not sure if I'm slower than most, or average, or what (never asked).

I remember building my first tekno, an ET48, in a single weekend, morning to evening, Sat and Sun, so call that ~16 hrs. Since then, I think I've gotten a bit faster (fewer mistakes, more organization, more patience - building kits is like racing - go slow to go fast).

Assembling the kit itself can be done in a couple hours with power tools, but installing electronics + tuning + paint/trim body + gluing tires will increase time based on skill.

I typically spend 1-2 hours a night and typically complete a build over the course of a week to make a fresh kit track ready.

The following thread is based on the 2.0, but includes many tips to consider with the 2.1 build:
https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/build-review-eb48-2-0.1864/

If I was doing a rush job I could do a complete build in a single 8 hour day... this is something I would like to see Pros do for a big race event... force them to build a fresh kit which represents 100% box stock parts for the brands they represent with no aftermarket nor prototype parts and then compete in the race event. This would be the spirit of the sport for a true "Manufacturer Shootout"

Last edited:
I don't have real comp tracks in my area that I am aware of. I've really only bashed in my RC life. I have a minor, small, outdoor track near me but thats about it. There are probably dozens of "best electronics" threads. I've only used Castle Creations and Spectrum stuff. I have a Hobbywing Max 5 in an XMAXX but I haven't even used the truck yet so I can't say I have experience with it that brand. I know the recommendations are to use 4s in these. I'm not sure if 6s is worth it in this type of rig. So what ESC/motor combos and Servos do you guys like in yours?

6S would be overkill... unless doing speed runs. I buy off-road RCs to run them... off-road. Ruts, bumps, and jumps pushing shocks to the limits is "what does it for me" in the hobby. If I gotta buy belted big lugged knobby tires to enjoy off-road... I'm going too fast. Going to a site/area that allows you to open up an RC to 40+ MPH is fun and all, but I like to see things happen close up. That's just me.

A 4268 1900kv motor would be great place to start. Pick your favorite brand and go. Visiting top ESC/motor brands websites will maybe persuade you in different direction than what you had originally thought. For a buggy basher build I went with ultra low budget Surpass Hobby motor...
1704629693297.jpeg

Later on I went with another Surpass Hobby motor. The 4274 Rocket motor was not enough for my monster truggy build so I put it to use in my EB48. I chose the 1700kv because (in my head) the powerband was better suited for my tighter backyard track. I didn't need that extra top end speed. The longer (truggy sized motor) can was just because I wanted extra assurance to handle extended run times in summer heat.
1704628176462.png

(Sorry for the dirt. It's the only picture I got with motor mounted in my EB48)
1704629811879.jpeg

So many options out there for electronics. For 4S running... 1700~2200kv would be my pick. I'm a Hobbywing user more often than not, but discounts/sales lead me to other brand of motors. If even thinking of going to a track to do some racing, then I'd recommend looking into a sensored setup.

Back to OP's original question... I've still haven't opened latest kit/present from wife that she (me) painstakingly wrapped two weeks ago. But when I do crack that kit seal... it's usually a one~two week build process. Stuck indoors during the winter months... closer to one week. I enjoy the build process more than anything in the hobby, but it only last so long, and I can't be buying a kit every week. So, I make the build last as long as I can.

"I enjoy the build process more than anything in the hobby, but it only last so long, and I can't be buying a kit every week. So, I make the build last as long as I can."

Same here... I love building, repairing and upgrading more then anything else.

Recent Popular Liked

Back