• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Serious binding in front differential - EB410.2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PKMSM

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. ET48
  2. MT410
As the title says, the front differential binds substantially, to the point that it is difficult to turn. The casing screws aren't tight: the instructions say to back off the screws 1/4 turn and I have backed them out 3 full turns and it still binds. In fact, even if I don't put the cover on I can feel it binding, and when I put the cover on and gently hold it with my hand it is still difficult to turn.

The rear differential is much better. Tt has a high spot, but nowhere near as bad as this one. This is my 3rd Tekno kit (EB48 and MT410) so not the first time I have assembled differentials but the first time I have this issue.

Any suggestions on how to address?

I’m no expert, rebuild completely? New housing?

Yeah, spoke with the vendor and they’re sending me a new housing to try.

My guess is that is where Tekno will be spending their resources in the coming months: the 1/10th lineup.

My first build was the ET48 2.0, and I thought the quality was substantially better than the ET410.2. The gears, casing, etc. all fit perfectly well and very smooth when done. Not so with the EB410. The MT410 quality was OK, but still a notch below that of the ET48 2.0.

The MT410 has a few things that ought to be upgraded, starting with shock caps, bumpers… but everyone has more or less accepted the fact that it would be through third party vendors. It still remains an awesome foundation for a nimble, quality basher.

I guess I am not the only one with issues on the differentials. The front diff assembly in my case turns freely about 180 degrees and the other 180 degrees feels like teeth not interlock properly or something. I think these are supposed to turn very smoothly.

Should I just tear down the entire assembly again and try once more?

As the title says, the front differential binds substantially, to the point that it is difficult to turn. The casing screws aren't tight: the instructions say to back off the screws 1/4 turn and I have backed them out 3 full turns and it still binds. In fact, even if I don't put the cover on I can feel it binding, and when I put the cover on and gently hold it with my hand it is still difficult to turn.

The rear differential is much better. Tt has a high spot, but nowhere near as bad as this one. This is my 3rd Tekno kit (EB48 and MT410) so not the first time I have assembled differentials but the first time I have this issue.

Any suggestions on how to address?
FWIW, I just spoke with Tekno and they said the front will be tight for the first couple of battery packs but should loosen up afterwards.

FWIW, I just spoke with Tekno and they said the front will be tight for the first couple of battery packs but should loosen up afterwards.

In my case I could barely turn it. I got a replacement casing and a spur gear for the differential. While changing those two things helped, I still had binding. The issue was that the top surface of the spur gear, especially the screws that held the spur gear in place, were hitting the side of the housing despite putting a shim in place. The solution was to Dremel out the housing a little, and grind the top of the screws down a little as well.

Not impressive from a quality perspective, especially compared to the other two Tekno kits I’ve built, but this did the job and now the differential turns freely.

Recent Popular Liked

Back