• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Opinions needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbone

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. ET48
Driving Style
Racer
I know the majority of the members here are bashers, so i have a few questions. With the trend in racing these days being people just running big events and not many club events, what keeps you from racing? Is it location, lack of interest, or something else? Maybe you have questions that need to be answered, ask them here. I will try my best to answer them and maybe some of the other racers here can answer them as well. I feel like people get intimidated just going to a race for the first time and not really knowing what to expect, so they clam up and dont ask questions and then just dont go back.

Great question. For me it's just a lack of interest honestly. I don't really like the whole organization thing when I am out having fun. I would rather just do my own thing, when I want to do it and drive whenever and wherever I want to go. If I see a new jump, I go and hit it. I don't think that the racers would be too happy if I was doing flips during the middle of a race! LOL It's not that I don't like racing. A couple of my buddies do it and I enjoy watching them race, it's just not my thing though.

Great question. For me it's just a lack of interest honestly. I don't really like the whole organization thing when I am out having fun. I would rather just do my own thing, when I want to do it and drive whenever and wherever I want to go. If I see a new jump, I go and hit it. I don't think that the racers would be too happy if I was doing flips during the middle of a race! LOL It's not that I don't like racing. A couple of my buddies do it and I enjoy watching them race, it's just not my thing though.

I can understand that completely. I know racing is not for everyone. Thanks for the feedback.

I know of some people who would love to race regularly, but they are geographically challenged with no clubs in their respective area. There are not as many clubs out here in Texas as there was when I first got into racing about 8 years ago. Back then, most clubs averaged between 20-40 entries, but over time various tracks closed for various reasons and the market shuffled a few times where once there was no track in the Austin area and then popularity slowly increased over the past 3+ years for a small club called Thornhill Racing Circuit (just outside Austin) which would evolve into what I would consider a premier racing facility with turnout for club racing averaging between 60-100 entries for regular club racing. Many folks will drive as far as 6 hours each way just for semi-regular club racing in my area. Thornhill also hosts around 4-6 big (regional/national) events each year with as many as 300+ entries with folks traveling as far as from Mexico and Canada! The owner has reinvested everything back into the track and the facility continues to improve with each racing season.

One of the really cool things they offer are separate 1/10 and 1/8 tracks at the same facility... they rotate the schedule each week so that the opposing track is open for practice. I've started to see more and more bashers show up to practice and while most of these folks may not be interested in racing anytime soon, I have started to see some bashers show up to race in novice classes, and we're starting to see a B Main full of entries in novice lately.... that is a first for me to see in the past 8+ years of racing I have seen!

Cost is probably the biggest deterrent and while I've grown to despise Traxxas (for being Patent Trolls), I can't deny that the Spec Slash class is an excellent low budget class for folks to get their feet wet in racing and is probably responsible for helping bring in new blood to our club :)

I would race every week, if it fit my schedule. I work about an hour away from home and the track is close to my work, but not really to where I live. So it makes for a really long day and a late night if I do the weeknight races (sometimes end at 11pm and I'd have a 1.5hr drive home). And the other race days are on Saturday and I'm usually doing other stuff, I race dirt bikes and play on a hockey team. So it is tough. I wish the Wed night races didn't run so late. When I go to practice nights, I'm there from 5-8 and it is nice. But 11pm is just too much for me to do that on any type of a regular basis.

I've heard good things about Thornhill. We use to have a pretty large club following here in GA with 80-120 entries every weekend at the various tracks around the state. When I had my series we would have 150+ for a one day race which pushed the limits of time. Now we have club races with 25-50 people and that seems to be the most we can pull. when I talk to the guys that use to race all the time at club events, I get the excuse of "Im saving my stuff to go to _______ big event (fill in the blank)." I cant really blame them cause Im the same way for the most part now, but Im usually helping build the track or calling the races, or doing behind the scenes stuff at the event. Right now would be the best time for new guys to try racing because the numbers are lower and the program will be laid back and not rushed and you would have time to ask questions.

I've always wanted to race but i'm like 25 miles from a track which here is about an hour away. if i were close to one I would definitely give it a shot.

I've always wanted to race but i'm like 25 miles from a track which here is about an hour away. if i were close to one I would definitely give it a shot.

With that being the case, what would it take on the tracks part to get you to drive those 25 miles/hour to try it out?

With that being the case, what would it take on the tracks part to get you to drive those 25 miles/hour to try it out?

that's a really good question. I never really thought about it. I don't really feel there is any kind of incentive missing, it's just too time consuming for me right now. One helpful thing I suppose was if there was a detailed website explaining how it all worked. since I've never raced, I would go in blind, not having any idea on how any of it worked as far as registering, vehicle classes, restrictions, schedules etc.

that's a really good question. I never really thought about it. I don't really feel there is any kind of incentive missing, it's just too time consuming for me right now. One helpful thing I suppose was if there was a detailed website explaining how it all worked. since I've never raced, I would go in blind, not having any idea on how any of it worked as far as registering, vehicle classes, restrictions, schedules etc.

good feedback. I think most racers see bashers as guys that just dont care to race but track owners need to look at them as people that just havent gotten all the info they need to feel comfortable racing for the first time. A website with info like you said would help that greatly.

@RC_User
Hey I am in the same boat...I don't race but I do hit up the track in Tacoma when I can. Its a good 45min+ from me. If you just want track experience without the intimidation of guys who have been racing since they were 5 then hit up the track in Seatac. Its ran completely by volunteers, there are no set hours except its a park so it closes at dusk...but there is also no on there to kick you out either. Weekdays are usually the quietest but weekends haven't really picked up yet either, being spring seems to have just started around here. Check it out the people are cool and we all just want to see the track getting used!

There is also a pretty nice on-road course next-door. I got into the indoor for minute but like the 3d driving that off road provides more!

I think maybe setting aside a night to either go watch the races or going to a practice night, is another way to ease into it. I can understand someone not wanting to show up and feel out of place or confused. But going to check out how things run or running a practice is a good way to calm much of that concern. Plus, I feel like it is very easy to make friends, even at practice. A lot of good people just there to have fun and enjoy the hobby, so I'm sure you will meet people who will make you feel welcome and can answer questions.

@RC_User

If you can make it to the Tacoma track mid-day on a weekday its usually pretty quite. The clay track is really a blast to race on around on. I only race against my own times. Maybe when I feel I have more free time to dedicate I will get into at least some club races but for now I just like turning laps for pleasure!

Last edited:
I think maybe setting aside a night to either go watch the races or going to a practice night, is another way to ease into it. I can understand someone not wanting to show up and feel out of place or confused. But going to check out how things run or running a practice is a good way to calm much of that concern. Plus, I feel like it is very easy to make friends, even at practice. A lot of good people just there to have fun and enjoy the hobby, so I'm sure you will meet people who will make you feel welcome and can answer questions.

Some of my best friends have come from the track. Most people, not all, at any club race are friendly and will go out of their way to help with whatever you need or have questions about. They want to see more people get into the hobby. Now big events are not newbee friendly for the most part, but can still be fun for sportsman guys.

I can't imagine not racing....so much fun....I couldn't bring myself to bash my teknos....now a crawler...that would be cool

Recent Popular Liked

Back