• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

My slow truggy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that you went the dremel and fishing line approach instead of the baking and taping approach. That turned out really nice and I personally think will work better than the taping method.
The fish line braid holds my power levels, the tape doesn't. Plus it weighs virtually nothing and can be replaced easily.

New Fan and added Stainless Steel Screen to keep rocks out!(still need to cut bolts down)
Looks good.

@Overkill

So I finally ran my et48 with that leopard 4092 1480kv motor with a 20T pinion this afternoon. This thing is a BEAST now!

Half throttle I can punch it and do backflips, it is amazingly powerful :eek:

I have a problem though. My tires break the 80lbd braided fisk line like nothing. I had them double wrapped, glued around, and with triple knots. The fron tires break first, I actually heard it "pop" when they broke. I then went to the road to see how fast I could go, then "pop - pop" the back brading broke. At that point I was done, the glue also broke on one of the fronts so I couldnt even put put around the grass.

The tires I ran for this are some cheapo tires from nitrorc.com and have been good tires with the Castle 2200kv and 6s. But this leopard on 6s is insane, I am going to need a better solution with the braided line, or some better tires. MT tires are a must, and even though them belted Terrain Crushers looks good, they cant take any hard hits (jumps).

Any thoughts?

edit...we spoke on FB, and I've ordered the kevlar line :D

Last edited:
I’ll copy what I wrote on FB.

I just ran out of my original Omniflex fish line braid. It has worked very well for several years. I just ordered some braided Kevlar as my new replacement. I went with the 0.45mm/.018” diameter which has a 110 lb. tensile strength. This website has really great prices for a big spool of it. https://estore.twinline-usa.com/collections/kevlar/products/braided-kevlar-110-spools

The Kevlar that Overkill recommend is great, strapped my Backflips and hit it hard on 6s, no breaking like the 80lb line did.

Thanks @Overkill

I am a total DS. I tried this with FL but never got the knots right cause it never worked. Looked on YT but couldn't find a how to video. So, How do you guys tie your knots? Wrap the thing twice, three times or 4x to keep the tension and then tie a simple knot with tire glue to finish it or ??

How I did mine was cut enough for 3 wraps around, then drop it over the tire, bring it around while turning the tire. Then make I was tieing my shoe once, continue the thread by drooping it over again and do the same with the shoe tie. One more loop around, then a simple knot, another simple knot to get everything tight, and then added a third knot. Cut the line, then glue with CA glue, done.

Hope you can make some sense of that lol, it's not the best explanation.

The Kevlar that Overkill recommend is great, strapped my Backflips and hit it hard on 6s, no breaking like the 80lb line did.

Thanks @Overkill
Awesome (y)

I am a total DS. I tried this with FL but never got the knots right cause it never worked. Looked on YT but couldn't find a how to video. So, How do you guys tie your knots? Wrap the thing twice, three times or 4x to keep the tension and then tie a simple knot with tire glue to finish it or ??
My method is to take the braid and go around the tire and make a half knot 3 times, then the final knot is a double knot, and then put a drop of CA glue on the double knot. Then repeat the process on the remaining channels. So there's 9 lines total on each tire.

Choosing the right braid is important because not all of this stuff is the same regardless of the lb. rating. You want it to be a thick braid and not a normal thin fish line. A thin fish line will snap easily, a thick braid will not. The Kevlar braid I linked above is going to be the strongest stuff out there.

The other key to this is making a strong knot. There’s several knots to choose from, just google strong knots and you’ll have tons of info. I’m currently using just a simple double knot which is no where near the strongest but it works just fine for me.

Hey @Overkill, I’m basically setting up my ET48 like yours. Where and how did you mount your receiver and how did you route the wires to it? Thanks in advance!

I strapped my tires with 50lb line and just glued the knot like you guys have said. The line just stretched, but did not break.

Does that kevlar braid stretch or do you glue it on in several places?

This is my layout. I reamed a hole in the unused servo area for the servo wire to feed through and be out of the way. All of the other wires are secured with the Tekno wire guide which bolts right up to the M2C brace. My Futaba receiver has a built-in antenna so I don’t have to worry about mounting one.

D7D11164-3419-4D7B-BB44-3936D84C922D.jpeg

This is a very convenient feature on the M2C chassis brace.

5AF34A5B-7256-48B7-8859-C3FAC0D830B8.png

I strapped my tires with 50lb line and just glued the knot like you guys have said. The line just stretched, but did not break.

Does that kevlar braid stretch or do you glue it on in several places?
I would work on your knots. I keep tight tension on the first double knot and then make multiple double knots on top of that. The Kevlar braid does not stretch. I only put a few small drops on the knot, nothing else.

This is my layout. I reamed a hole in the unused servo area for the servo wire to feed through and be out of the way. All of the other wires are secured with the Tekno wire guide which bolts right up to the M2C brace. My Futaba receiver has a built-in antenna so I don’t have to worry about mounting one.

View attachment 1421

This is a very convenient feature on the M2C chassis brace.

View attachment 1422
Thanks man!

Are you running a bec @Overkill? The reason I ask is that I’m running a savox 2273 servo and the internal bec of the MMX cannot support it. What servo are you running? Judging from your receiver I see the esc, servo, yeah racing fans x2, and R1 wurks fan plugged in.

I’m running the 203 Futaba receiver that only has 3 channels and an aux port. I’m worried I won’t have enough channels.

Last edited:
No I’m not, the internal BEC in the MMX has always worked great for me. I run a Hitec 7955TG. Yeah, I use all the ports in the receiver. You can always use a Y splitter for the fans if you need an extra port.

No I’m not, the internal BEC in the MMX has always worked great for me. I run a Hitec 7955TG. Yeah, I use all the ports in the receiver. You can always use a Y splitter for the fans if you need an extra port.
Cool thanks! I ordered a hitec servo to replace the savox one I have.

@Overkill, you should get a commission from Tekno. Your vids/threads over the last 1-2 yrs just sold me on Tekno... sold off a bunch of models to make room and now it is time to design the beast over the holidays.

Could you help with a couple of questions?

1. ESC - do you have a preference between Tekin RX8 or Castle Mamba Monster X? I think the Tekins can run a lot more power than Castle, in general, between those two models, but you seem to be doing well with the MMX.

2. Motor bracing - with >90mm motors (let alone 100mm+) the length of the motor needs some help at the rear, I would think. I've seen you use a fan clamp before - can you show a few more pics of this and explain how you get it set up correctly?

3. Cordova naming - I thought the "14" in "1440" was the can diameter in inches (1.4in). But I can see in the pics, and you've noted, the 1440 Cordova is 40mm (or maybe 42, same idea). Am I misunderstanding the naming? The "40" certainly corresponds correctly with the motor length in mm (i.e. 4 inches = 101mm).

Thanks!

Overkill, you should get a commission from Tekno. Your vids/threads over the last 1-2 yrs just sold me on Tekno... sold off a bunch of models to make room and now it is time to design the beast over the holidays.

Could you help with a couple of questions?

1. ESC - do you have a preference between Tekin RX8 or Castle Mamba Monster X? I think the Tekins can run a lot more power than Castle, in general, between those two models, but you seem to be doing well with the MMX.

2. Motor bracing - with >90mm motors (let alone 100mm+) the length of the motor needs some help at the rear, I would think. I've seen you use a fan clamp before - can you show a few more pics of this and explain how you get it set up correctly?

3. Cordova naming - I thought the "14" in "1440" was the can diameter in inches (1.4in). But I can see in the pics, and you've noted, the 1440 Cordova is 40mm (or maybe 42, same idea). Am I misunderstanding the naming? The "40" certainly corresponds correctly with the motor length in mm (i.e. 4 inches = 101mm).

Thanks!
Awesome and thank you. Actually, Castle is king when it comes to power capability, nothing can touch a XLX/XL2, not even a HW Max5. My MMX has handled everything perfectly, it's a great ESC. Tekin makes awesome products and are more focused on racers, but I can't comment on their ESC because I don't own one. The advertised amp ratings from each manufacturer are based off of different testing methods and criteria, if they were tested all in the same manner the "rating" would be quite different than what's shown on the box.

My rear motor support pictures are here https://www.teknoforums.com/threads/new-m2c-wide-truggy-chassis.655/ The spacers and screws you use will depend on the motor, it's a very simple bolt-on modification. I used an existing hole in the M2C chassis to mount it.

Cordova is weird in their naming structure and I see how its confusing, the motor is definitely 40x102mm.

Great build overkill. i have few questions?

what is your shock setup?
from your experience, what is the best combo gearing for bashing?
the Losi Fioroni Diff is not compatible with tekno spur gear, i beleive its also not fit for most of 1.5 mod spurs?
which alluminium good diff case will fit the most spur gears out there? (basically the spurs from amain hobbies site of the different companies)
will the tekno alu will fit most of them? because i want to try few gear and spur setups for bashing.
thnx for the help

Last edited:
Great build overkill. i have few questions?

what is your shock setup?
from your experience, what is the best combo gearing for bashing?
the Losi Fioroni Diff is not compatible with tekno spur gear, i beleive its also not fit for most of 1.5 mod spurs?
which alluminium good diff case will fit the most spur gears out there? (basically the spurs from amain hobbies site of the different companies)
will the tekno alu will fit most of them? because i want to try few gear and spur setups for bashing.
thnx for the help
Thanks. I run orange springs and 800cst oil. There is no "best" gearing, it depends on many different factors. In general you would want to start low (15T) and go from there. Correct, you must use the Agama spur gear with the Losi Fioroni diff case. All of the 1/8 stuff is Mod1. The Losi style diff case can fit lots of different spurs (35,40,43,44,45). The Tekno style diff case can fit a 32T from Fly Ratio and of course the stock 44T. The M2C Tekno diff case is a great upgrade with the stock spur.

Recent Popular Liked

Back