• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Motor - Buggy vs Truggy Specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve B in Vegas

Reaction score
What is the fundamental difference between a Buggy and Truggy motor. Is it that the Truggy tends to use larger tires so it delivers more low-end torque to get the tires moving?

For an all-around fun build where I will be using all different kinds of tires, should I go with the Truggy motor?

Or does it make sense to focus more on pinion size selection to deal with larger or smaller tires ( more or less rotating mass) and just get the buggy motor?

Thanks.

What is the fundamental difference between a Buggy and Truggy motor. Is it that the Truggy tends to use larger tires so it delivers more low-end torque to get the tires moving?

For an all-around fun build where I will be using all different kinds of tires, should I go with the Truggy motor?

Or does it make sense to focus more on pinion size selection to deal with larger or smaller tires ( more or less rotating mass) and just get the buggy motor?

I ask because after some thought, I will see if I can drop this into my DB48 project: Tekin Redline T8 GEN3 4038 1/8 Truggy Competition Brushless Motor (2250kV)

s

If you are going to be running oversize wheels that are significantly larger than 1/8 buggy wheels, then yes it makes sense to upgrade to a truggy motor (4274-2000KV) which will give you more torque and keep motor temps down which in turn will expand your gearing options. The buggy motor (4268-2000KV) will probably do just fine as well, in fact you could probably run a 3674-2000KV motor as well which I have used in a 1/8 Monster Truck conversion project once.

Bill,

I was looking to run some beadlock wheels with some of the big 2.2 tires for rock racing, and those have quite a bit of meat to them. The USD Sticky 2.2's are 220 grams each.

With the longer chassis for this build, I should be able to fit the longer Tekin 1/8 Truggy motor?

Tekin's truggy motors are longer and provide more torque than their buggy motors. They're also about 50 grams heavier.

For the DB48 using SC parts most people are using Tekin's Pro4 HD motors. They are smaller and lighter. If you're using 4s there's a Pro4 HD that's 1850kv.

If you're really wanting an 8th scale motor for your DB, and you're running big 2.2 rock crawling tires like the Hyrax on aluminum beadlocks, then I would choose a motor more in the 1600-1900 kv range. Assuming you're running 4s. I personally have their 1700 truggy motor in mine and I'm using an ecopower 4100 4s battery.

you can fit a 4274 can in the SCT410 chassis if you wanted, here is the 4274 in the MT410 which is the same chassis as the SCT410:

49887126932_43539f8786_h.jpg

Hmmm,

Looks tight. I went with the longer chassis, copying the build from RC Network, and I had initially was leaning towards the Pro 4HD motor, but I feel like I'm in between 1/10 scale and 1/8 scale on this build.

I figured I would error towards more power because I want to use this as a testing platform for website projects, and simply because I think desert buggies are the best thing ever in RC. I love their versatility and just want to expand the wheel / tire options as much as possible to play on all the different terrains around me here in Vegas.

I have a Nomad DB-8 and I'm running 2000kv on 4s, and it's nothing short of a delight to drive. I want to replicate that with a more "company supported" platform, and Tekno just seems to be the best choice from all of my research.

After seeing RC Network build, I was sold. I pestered Rich something fierce with questions ( sorry Rich ), and of course Bill you always over-the-top in your support ( thanks...!). Thus the goal is to copy the DB48, but the power plant is the only unknown. I will use the RX-8 gen 3 for sure as the ESC.

So, question is which motor. Maybe the 1900 kv buggy motor? Smaller size but still 1/8 power.

I'm not going to run massive MT tires, but yes setups like Hyrax on aluminum wheels. I will also be running these USD's as shown on my crawler.
USD Sticky 56.jpg

s

you can fit a 4274 can in the SCT410 chassis if you wanted, here is the 4274 in the MT410 which is the same chassis as the SCT410:

49887126932_43539f8786_h.jpg
Hi new to registering here on the forums, but have been a silent follower for some time. Don't want to derail the topic, but wouldn't you risk having the 4274 motor jamming into your esc during chassis flex? I ask, because I want to run a 4274 motor in my sct410.3 converted to DB as well.

Tekin's truggy motors are longer and provide more torque than their buggy motors. They're also about 50 grams heavier.

For the DB48 using SC parts most people are using Tekin's Pro4 HD motors. They are smaller and lighter. If you're using 4s there's a Pro4 HD that's 1850kv.

If you're really wanting an 8th scale motor for your DB, and you're running big 2.2 rock crawling tires like the Hyrax on aluminum beadlocks, then I would choose a motor more in the 1600-1900 kv range. Assuming you're running 4s. I personally have their 1700 truggy motor in mine and I'm using an ecopower 4100 4s battery.

Running the Pro 4hd 1850 on 4s is also interesting.

...wouldn't you risk having the 4274 motor jamming into your esc during chassis flex? I ask, because I want to run a 4274 motor in my sct410.3 converted to DB as well.

The amount of space in this area to mount the 4274 can is no different between the ET48 and SCT410, the extra chassis length is extended behind the center diff. You would only risk chassis flex if you remove the center chassis braces... I have never had any issue with damaging any of my electronics in the ET48 that I used to race, the only chassis brace I removed was the rear brace to get more rear traction.

Looks like the Tekin 1/8 buggy motor is 69mm long, so that would give me 5mm more space when compared to your 4274 motor.

I think the 1900 kv 1/8 buggy motor with a few different pinions is the ticket. Now I just need to find out if I can mount that 1/8 motor to the motor mount supplied with the SCT 410.3 kit.

s

Now I just need to find out if I can mount that 1/8 motor to the motor mount supplied with the SCT 410.3 kit.

The parts are the same between the ET48 and SCT410 for the motor mount, and electronics, you can install up to a 4274 can in the SCT410 if you wanted, that is the picture I posted above, but for the MT410 which is also the same space as the the SCT410. They all share the same center drive line parts.

Recent Popular Liked

Back