• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

m2c Center Chassis Brace broken at center diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M2C (Mitchell) is beefing up the area where it breaks, re-aligning holes, and shaving a little bit of material away from the servo screw washer area.

M2C (Mitchell) is beefing up the area where it breaks, re-aligning holes, and shaving a little bit of material away from the servo screw washer area.

wonder if he will step it up to 7075 instead of 6061 aluminum. I had a idea of extending the brace further onto the center diff. the brace would also become the center diff top plate/brace, all as one solid piece. I didnt mention that, didnt want to look like a dumb ares LOL

wonder if he will step it up to 7075 instead of 6061 aluminum. I had a idea of extending the brace further onto the center diff. the brace would also become the center diff top plate/brace, all as one solid piece. I didnt mention that, didnt want to look like a dumb ares LOL

Switching to 7075 would help but at the current design i am not sure it would do much other than raise the cost. Yes, a single piece to incorporate the diff top plate would be the best solution on a brand new rig. Getting one to perfectly line up on rig that is already flexed out a little front to back and side to side would be fun. IMO when people see a $75-85 brace they will say F-That it's too much $$ and the complaining will be plenty. Some will have no problem with it but my guess is there will be very few of those people.

Kevin Rowe and m2c have made a statement on Facebook (Tekno RC MT410 and Tekno Basher Owners' Tips, Tricks, Mods, & Showoff). If you have one of the latest batch Center Brace (thin material @ center diff mount) you can contact Mitchell from m2c @ [email protected]

New replacements are being crafted and are 3 weeks or so out from being completed according to the post.

copy/paste of the post

After Mitch finally came up for air this week, we talked about the solid front-to-center "biggun" brace, and reviewed some of the issues and pictures we've been seeing in the group.
There was indeed an issue with a batch where the connection to the motor / diff mount was too thin, but it wasn't caught before they hit the market. All of the braces from that particular batch have been pulled from the market - both on the M2C website, as well as with resellers.
A new batch is under way with adjustments being made to ensure that these are as solid and well-fitting as possible. This batch is about three weeks out.
If you received one of the braces with the thin end connection like in the second picture below, please e-mail Mitch at [email protected] for a replacement brace from the new batch.

Kevin Rowe and m2c have made a statement on Facebook (Tekno RC MT410 and Tekno Basher Owners' Tips, Tricks, Mods, & Showoff). If you have one of the latest batch Center Brace (thin material @ center diff mount) you can contact Mitchell from m2c @ [email protected]

New replacements are being crafted and are 3 weeks or so out from being completed according to the post.

copy/paste of the post

After Mitch finally came up for air this week, we talked about the solid front-to-center "biggun" brace, and reviewed some of the issues and pictures we've been seeing in the group.
There was indeed an issue with a batch where the connection to the motor / diff mount was too thin, but it wasn't caught before they hit the market. All of the braces from that particular batch have been pulled from the market - both on the M2C website, as well as with resellers.
A new batch is under way with adjustments being made to ensure that these are as solid and well-fitting as possible. This batch is about three weeks out.
If you received one of the braces with the thin end connection like in the second picture below, please e-mail Mitch at [email protected] for a replacement brace from the new batch.
Thanks for this information. Since I don’t have Facebook I wouldn’t have known. That is a great service m2c is doing. Makes me proud to have my tekno blinged out with m2c aluminum.

A post will be made tomorrow on what to do exactly if you have the thin material brace. I'll post it up ere for you guys that dont have Facebook.

a picture to judge if you have one of the skinny braces. these are from the latest batch of braces ran. (pics by Rich Duperbash on Facebook)
34511265_251952478692204_2819348616223653888_n.jpg

and

34387972_251952958692156_471580678887047168_n.jpg

Reactions: Hye
A post will be made tomorrow on what to do exactly if you have the thin material brace. I'll post it up ere for you guys that dont have Facebook.

a picture to judge if you have one of the skinny braces. these are from the latest batch of braces ran. (pics by Rich Duperbash on Facebook)
34511265_251952478692204_2819348616223653888_n.jpg

and

34387972_251952958692156_471580678887047168_n.jpg

That will be great, thank you sir. I emailed him about my front diff cup being an issue and haven’t heard back yet. I have a feeling he is swamped though so I’m not worried to much. Plus I just used the kit cup for that one.

I bought mine months ago but it is for sure the skinny material thickness. I never installed it but don't feel like sending it back etc etc.

I took some measurements and not sure why the mounting hole would be 4.2mm when a 3mm bolt is used but it is what it is. Explains why it failed though.

So, I took one of my knuckle bushings from my Axial Bomber and measured it. Close enough but had to shave a few off. I put the bushing on a 3mm bolt so it would rotate. If you use a file to shave off a rotating piece you get a half knurling. That provides a little grip as your inserting it in and using green loctite 403 sets it up near permanent. I shaved the bushing to 4.3mm so it ain't going anywhere.

Not perfect but better than it was.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I bought mine months ago but it is for sure the skinny material thickness. I never installed it but don't feel like sending it back etc etc.

I took some measurements and not sure why the mounting hole would be 4.2mm when a 3mm bolt is used but it is what it is. Explains why it failed though.

So, I took one of my knuckle bushings from my Axial Bomber and measured it. Close enough but had to shave a few off. I put the bushing on a 3mm bolt so it would rotate. If you use a file to shave off a rotating piece you get a half knurling. That provides a little grip as your inserting it in and using green loctite 403 sets it up near permanent. I shaved the bushing to 4.3mm so it ain't going anywhere.

Not perfect but better than it was.View attachment 651View attachment 652View attachment 653

awesome! beats waiting around for a new batch and will be just as strong if not stronger.

awesome! beats waiting around for a new batch and will be just as strong if not stronger.

**** Total Edit ****
I thought the brace went on the top plate but I see that it is actually attached to the motor mount. Even still a 4mm screw is 3.8-3.9mm wide so the 4.2mm hole in the brace is still way to big. I'll just drill mine out to accommodate a 4mm bolt but the concept is the same.

I change my mind which is often do while modding or fabricating something. Didn't like the wall thickness of the bushing so......

My XXL knuckle bolt was close enough but the shoulder was 4.9mm and the threads 5mm too long. I don't have a lathe so chucked it in the drill press, ran a file on it till I got to 4.2mm and hacked off 5mm of threads. The shoulder was too tall so stacked three 4mm washers and done. Even with the washer the shoulder is 100% engaged with the M2C brace.

Good enough for now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice fix (hopefully!)
I'm waiting for the new version (maybe) but it is cool to see a workaround. I wonder if any other company will start making alum braces. I hope Kingheadz does, their parts are the best I've seen but they are very slow to make anything new.
I think I'd rather have individual alum front and rear braces like stock instead of wresting a one-piece in there.

I'm gonna have to check mine out. Seems like I'm about in the time frame of the bad batch as well.

After the bolt mod I had a chance to really look at the brace. Hope it's just mine but overall it is a terrible design in this particular area. Look at the 1.1mm gap from the brace to the Motor Mount / Diff holder. All the flex is going to be contained on the top at the bolt. Maybe it's just mine but don't see it lasting to long.
image.jpeg

i may be confused but isnt that gap due to your modification?

i may be confused but isnt that gap due to your modification?

Unfortunately No. I have done nothing with the brace. My 1st and 2nd mod only dealt with the Grand Canyon size mounting hole. That hole was untouched and just used for measurements. Like I mentioned it could be just my brace.

Unfortunately No. I have done nothing with the brace. My 1st and 2nd mod only dealt with the Grand Canyon size mounting hole. That hole was untouched and just used for measurements. Like I mentioned it could be just my brace.

oh my bad i see where you're saying now.

m2cgap.jpg

Yes you're completely right, that makes perfect sense. that is not good! That explains why all of the force goes right into that screw and breaks there. I don' t have mine any more or i'd compare it...
Send that sucker back, or at least try...

i found a pic of when I installed mine, looking closely you can see the same gap... (and how the hole didnt line up, had to push it hard, fitment sucked)
20180407_231913.jpg

oh my bad i see where you're saying now.

m2cgap.jpg

Yes you're completely right, that makes perfect sense. that is not good! That explains why all of the force goes right into that screw and breaks there. I don' t have mine any more or i'd compare it...
Send that sucker back, or at least try...

Exactly. I can't do that circle thing on my iPad so sorry for that.

I would but in my experience MFG's never pay for return shipping and then charge you for shipping on the correct or updated part so I'll just chock it up. Just too much hassle for me.

i found a pic of when I installed mine, looking closely you can see the same gap... (and how the hole didnt line up, had to push it hard, fitment sucked)
20180407_231913.jpg
Bright as day right by your pinger and the mis aligned Marianis trench mounting hole.

Recent Popular Liked

Back