• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Converting an ET48 2.0 to a EB48 2.0?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrimaRC

Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. EB48
  2. ET48
Driving Style
Basher
I've recently joined an RC club that doesn't really run a truggy class, I can run truggy in the 1/8 open, but I am wondering if converting an ET48 2.0 to a EB48 2.0 is worth while, or is it financially better to just buy another kit.

The reason I'm even more keen to do the conversion is I have two ET48 2.0's, one I built for the track the other is a basher. A buggy would be a better option at this track as it is very tight and technical.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated, thanks.

no brainer.. sell your kit and and buy a new one will be less expensive than costs to convert
It's been used and I don't know if the second hand market in Australia is very good, I think I'd possibly lose more going that way. On the plus side I can convert it back if I want down the track, and I'd still have the spare parts for my other truggy?

no brainer.. sell your kit and and buy a new one will be less expensive than costs to convert
I still think you're right, there are so many parts to buy, it would end up pretty much the cost of a kit anyway, I can always try to sell my Truggy I guess. Thanks for the feedback Bill.

Don't listen to this idiot. He obviously wasn't thinking straight when he wrote this. :sleep:
I wasn't thinking straight when I bought a second truggy, I should have bought the eb then, but I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. I've started looking at the XRay xb8e 21, there is good local support for this car. I would have been happy with the eb48 2.0, but it might not be worth it to chase this conversion. Thanks for commenting on this mate!

I wasn't thinking straight when I bought a second truggy, I should have bought the eb then, but I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing. I've started looking at the XRay xb8e 21, there is good local support for this car. I would have been happy with the eb48 2.0, but it might not be worth it to chase this conversion. Thanks for commenting on this mate!

If you're looking for another brand to consider, also take a look at HB Racing, I recently switched over to the E819RS and I couldn't be happier, while not a drastic difference, my lap times and consistency have improved a pinch to where I was top 5-10 spots locally with the EB48 2.0 ... I'm now in the top 2-5 spots with the E819RS :)

Basically TEKNO tends to be more aggressive and is better suited to a driver with faster reflexes... I'm 48 and my reflexes just aren't there anymore so HB offers a more stable setup where the car feels more planted and is less likely to traction roll while not struggling for corner speed either, kind of a best of both worlds for an old man setup, ha!

There's a local who was faster than me with his XRAY when I was running TEKNO, then I got faster than him when I went to HB, he definitely improved with the recent release from XRAY, but he still hasn't caught up to my HB yet just to give some perspective.

Last edited:
If you're looking for another brand to consider, also take a look at HB Racing, I recently switched over to the E819RS and I couldn't be happier, while not a drastic difference, my lap times and consistency have improved a pinch to where I was top 5-10 spots locally with the EB48 2.0 ... I'm now in the top 2-5 spots with the E819RS :)

Basically TEKNO tends to be more aggressive and is better suited to a driver with faster reflexes... I'm 48 and my reflexes just aren't there anymore so HB offers a more stable setup where the car feels more planted and is less likely to traction roll while not struggling for corner speed either, kind of a best of both worlds for an old man setup, ha!

There's a local who was faster than me with his XRAY when I was running TEKNO, then I got faster than him when I went to HB, he definitely improved with the recent release from XRAY, but he still hasn't caught up to my HB yet just to give some perspective.
That's a very interesting way to think of it, I'm 40 so in the same category of old man, but at the very bottom of the racing experience ladder. The track I'll be racing at is very tight and technical, lots of little cut backs and step ups. It has two big jumps, one you don't want to hit at speed the other you need to hit at nearly full speed, the rest of the jumps are just small to medium.

The main reason I was looking at xray is because where we are there aren't any hobby shops, but one of the club executives runs a shop from home, he has full access to xray parts and kits, he brings many spares to each event. He also helps us out with pricing for members.

I don't know where I could buy HB from here in Australia, but I would be in the same boat as I am with my Tekno, without any local support, at least I know the guy that imports Tekno to Oz. There is another track where I also race, and there is a shop not too far from there that has xray also, so it's a tricky decision.

I do think I'm going to just get the EB48 2.0 kit, I spoke with the shop owner last night and he looked into the parts for me and came back with the same answer as you, not worth it, if I hadn't run my car he was willing to swap it over. He is going to help me out on the new kit anyway so I'll at least have the two cars sharing some of the parts.

I'll hopefully hear back from him this morning and then I can proceed, if it doesn't work out I'll definitely look into the HB, thanks again for your advice and being able to tap into your extensive experience.

Bill, did you ever try running the truggy spindles on the buggy? Apparently that can give a similar feel to the kingpin camber mod by giving you an extra hole for the camber link?

It's a tough decision to make when selecting a brand. I actually picked up a sponsorship deal with HB so I order all my parts direct from Switzerland, you get free shipping on orders over $500. Essentially what you need to do is buy 2 kits up front and have the second kit for spares, then you slowly figure out what parts to stock up on to get free shipping and plan your orders ahead so you only make 1-2 parts orders per year. It's more expensive up front, but will save you money over the long haul.

No idea who the team manager is in Australia, but you can always contact the owner Phillipe Niedhart to see if they have any open spots in your area if you think you might be interested in the brand:
https://www.facebook.com/philippe.neidhart

XRAY is super expensive, even with a sponsor discount, but if you don't like the idea of stocking up on parts yourself and just want to buy them from a local, then that's a logical choice as well... it will be more expensive to maintain in the long run but always nice to let someone else pickup the up front expense.

I have made almost no modifications to my buggy other than springs and sway bars, it whips around the tight chicanes nicely, this is not my car, but I'm using the exact same setup from this driver here and it's been on point for me in my E819RS, plenty of tight corners for perspective:

It's a tough decision to make when selecting a brand. I actually picked up a sponsorship deal with HB so I order all my parts direct from Switzerland, you get free shipping on orders over $500. Essentially what you need to do is buy 2 kits up front and have the second kit for spares, then you slowly figure out what parts to stock up on to get free shipping and plan your orders ahead so you only make 1-2 parts orders per year. It's more expensive up front, but will save you money over the long haul.

No idea who the team manager is in Australia, but you can always contact the owner Phillipe Niedhart to see if they have any open spots in your area if you think you might be interested in the brand:
https://www.facebook.com/philippe.neidhart

XRAY is super expensive, even with a sponsor discount, but if you don't like the idea of stocking up on parts yourself and just want to buy them from a local, then that's a logical choice as well... it will be more expensive to maintain in the long run but always nice to let someone else pickup the up front expense.

I have made almost no modifications to my buggy other than springs and sway bars, it whips around the tight chicanes nicely, this is not my car, but I'm using the exact same setup from this driver here and it's been on point for me in my E819RS, plenty of tight corners for perspective:
I'll check it out Bill, thank you for all your input it is really helpful to a total beginner.

For some reason I can't see the second link?

The second link is to a video that was posted on the Thornhill Racers group, I guess you need to be a member of that group to get access to the video link.

Recent Popular Liked

Back