• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Authentic looking Monster Truck tires on a Tekno (Brainstorming)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no. That’s the diff case. The diff housings are what the shock towers bolt too. I did find them for sale on aliexpress from all racing. Pricey tho... 140 bucks for both on Black Friday sale...

I got a set on eBay several months ago. They were $140 + $10 shipping at that time.

I got a set on eBay several months ago. They were $140 + $10 shipping at that time.

I couldn't find any on ebay unfortunately. What I did find was that HR makes hardened steel diff cases - so I bought 3 of those too and a 48tooth steel spur (wish I knew before I bought the 44). that should help open gearing options. I can't wait to see how much heavier the hardened steel cases are. the description lists them as a tuning feature to smooth out acceleration lol. how did you find the diff housings? are you running 6s?

I took a look on eBay and found a few listed, but for $170 & $180 -- forgot to check shipping, but definitely more expensive than what I paid.

I'm just getting back to finishing off my build, which is actually pretty much done. I decided to mount a camera, DVR & GPS unit and lights, which involved coming up with ways to attach them to the truck (MT410). I've 3D printed several pieces for the truck and am now working on the final item, which was how to mount the boards for the GPS/DVR and another camera DVR. I haven't worked on this thing in 3-4 months probably. Just got back into it. Burned out on all the wiring and design work I was doing.

But, I'm back at it after going through some extensive upgrades on my 3D printer.

As for the cases, they're not installed yet. I haven't really run the truck at this point. I'll run both 4S and 6S, probably 6S about 30% of the time. Or more if that's what I want. We'll see.

I've 3D printed several pieces for the truck and am now working on the final item, which was how to mount the boards for the GPS/DVR and another camera DVR.

Does 3D printing pieces work out well? Are they durable enough for 4s and 6s abuse?

I would consider paying someone to 3D print me some body mounts of a slightly different shape. I'm just not sure how well that 3D printed plastic would hold up during a crash.

I couldn't find any on ebay unfortunately. What I did find was that HR makes hardened steel diff cases - so I bought 3 of those too and a 48tooth steel spur (wish I knew before I bought the 44). that should help open gearing options. I can't wait to see how much heavier the hardened steel cases are. the description lists them as a tuning feature to smooth out acceleration lol. how did you find the diff housings? are you running 6s?

What's the advantage to having the hardened steel diff case? Does the plastic one flex & break under 6s stress?

Does 3D printing pieces work out well? Are they durable enough for 4s and 6s abuse?

I would consider paying someone to 3D print me some body mounts of a slightly different shape. I'm just not sure how well that 3D printed plastic would hold up during a crash.

I mounted a VG Racing roll cage for an E-Revo to my MT410 with mounts that I printed, but they're not using the body mount post holes. They're integrated into the shock towers and much stronger. I didn't think that using the body post mounts would be strong enough.

They're shown starting here in my build thread. I'll probably do a slight redesign at one point or another. I want to be able to easily (or make it easier, anyway) remove the cage along with the lights and camera stuff. It's something of a chore now.

Aside from that, there's nothing that will really take a beating other than that as everything else I printed is a piece to mount something. There isn't anything that's going to directly be subjected to a high level of force.

There are plenty of sites available online that will print parts for a price as I understand it. I've seen discussions on it. I've never used them myself, so I can't really comment on them. There are different filaments (the plastic printed) that can be used. Some will be suited to a more abusive environment more than others.

I took a look on eBay and found a few listed, but for $170 & $180 -- forgot to check shipping, but definitely more expensive than what I paid.

I'm just getting back to finishing off my build, which is actually pretty much done. I decided to mount a camera, DVR & GPS unit and lights, which involved coming up with ways to attach them to the truck (MT410). I've 3D printed several pieces for the truck and am now working on the final item, which was how to mount the boards for the GPS/DVR and another camera DVR. I haven't worked on this thing in 3-4 months probably. Just got back into it. Burned out on all the wiring and design work I was doing.

But, I'm back at it after going through some extensive upgrades on my 3D printer.

As for the cases, they're not installed yet. I haven't really run the truck at this point. I'll run both 4S and 6S, probably 6S about 30% of the time. Or more if that's what I want. We'll see.

the design work can be fun :). I have a small machine shop and cnc router and do a lot of my own design and fab but it can take so much time... but it’s so fun to see ideas come to life...

What's the advantage to having the hardened steel diff case? Does the plastic one flex & break under 6s stress?

it will flex for sure. The diff casing was going to become the weakest link. I wanted aluminum but the outdrive on them wear so fast... ill share what I think of them when I get them

I mounted a VG Racing roll cage for an E-Revo to my MT410 with mounts that I printed, but they're not using the body mount post holes. They're integrated into the shock towers and much stronger. I didn't think that using the body post mounts would be strong enough.

They're shown starting here in my build thread. I'll probably do a slight redesign at one point or another. I want to be able to easily (or make it easier, anyway) remove the cage along with the lights and camera stuff. It's something of a chore now.

Aside from that, there's nothing that will really take a beating other than that as everything else I printed is a piece to mount something. There isn't anything that's going to directly be subjected to a high level of force.

There are plenty of sites available online that will print parts for a price as I understand it. I've seen discussions on it. I've never used them myself, so I can't really comment on them. There are different filaments (the plastic printed) that can be used. Some will be suited to a more abusive environment more than others.

So with these sites that will print things for you, do you have to come up with a design using a specific piece of software? Or do they help you design it based on dimensions you provide?

the design work can be fun :). I have a small machine shop and cnc router and do a lot of my own design and fab but it can take so much time... but it’s so fun to see ideas come to life...

That’s convenient. Do you use them for a living or for hobby?

Yes, I agree -- I enjoy designing and making parts. But on this one I just want to get it done.

Today I attached the camera to the front of the truck, connected the wiring for it and thought I was done with it short of adding the cover for the receiver and the antenna tube when I noticed a connector that wasn't plugged in by the receiver. It's for the BEC. So now I need to take two of the connectors for plugging in the lights and combine them into one. Not a big deal, but just kinda a PITA when you're working around the cage. I definitely know what I'll do differently on the next build, namely combining wiring. I'd like to integrate quarter-turn screws into some pieces I'd like to be able to disassemble quickly too, but I'm not sure they're available in small sizes.

So with these sites that will print things for you, do you have to come up with a design using a specific piece of software? Or do they help you design it based on dimensions you provide?

My understanding is you provide the design of the part in a common printing format -- such as an stl file. I'm sure there are printing service providers that can do some design work too, but I imagine that might be expensive. I don't know, however.

Yes, I agree -- I enjoy designing and making parts. But on this one I just want to get it done.

Today I attached the camera to the front of the truck, connected the wiring for it and thought I was done with it short of adding the cover for the receiver and the antenna tube when I noticed a connector that wasn't plugged in by the receiver. It's for the BEC. So now I need to take two of the connectors for plugging in the lights and combine them into one. Not a big deal, but just kinda a PITA when you're working around the cage. I definitely know what I'll do differently on the next build, namely combining wiring. I'd like to integrate quarter-turn screws into some pieces I'd like to be able to disassemble quickly too, but I'm not sure they're available in small sizes.

My understanding is you provide the design of the part in a common printing format -- such as an stl file. I'm sure there are printing service providers that can do some design work too, but I imagine that might be expensive. I don't know, however.

Shapeways has a designer tool or will accept drawings and they can build structural parts out of sintered nylon. E-Machineshop is another place that you can use their tools to design and then get quotes on creating. I've not used either of these services so can't comment but there is a youtube guy that quite prolifically creates functional pieces for old tamiya models and uses shapeways to make the parts.

Shapeways has a designer tool or will accept drawings and they can build structural parts out of sintered nylon. E-Machineshop is another place that you can use their tools to design and then get quotes on creating. I've not used either of these services so can't comment but there is a youtube guy that quite prolifically creates functional pieces for old tamiya models and uses shapeways to make the parts.

This looks simple! If the price too much, I'll have my kids design something in CAD and send it away just for the learning experience. And maybe I'll design a custom body mount as well for this build from the OP.

This looks simple! If the price too much, I'll have my kids design something in CAD and send it away just for the learning experience. And maybe I'll design a custom body mount as well for this build from the OP.

Cool toss up some pics of what you design and your experiences with the vendors if you go that route.

Will do.

Tires and in and ready. Jconcepts Firestorms fit perfectly on the RC4WD wheels. I've figured out the adapters needed to mount this. Just waiting for some parts and my new (used) ET48.3 to come in to start assembling everything!

IMG_2814.jpg

what was the final recipe to get everything together?
Good question. I'll post that when I update the post with all the details of which parts are needed. I have a couple of things I need to return that ended up going unused, and I'm still waiting for a few things to come in the mail. So I'll wait on that to get a better number.

I have all the parts (knock on wood), and I've officially begun the build. Here's a progress video!

Here she is! Not 100% done yet. I haven't even set the camber properly but all the challenging parts of this build are complete. I have a few little things left to do like tuning, diff fluid, size and pick a body, etc.

The used ET48.3 I bought to start this build came with the .4 steering rack upgrade and it's a bit awkward on a Monster Truck. So I'll probably remove that and install it on my racing ET48.3, then put the .3 steering on this build.

Current measurements:
Width: 19 in
Wheelbase: 15.2 in
Length: 21 in
Distance between insides of wheels measured from side to side: ~10.5 in (this measurement is important when choosing a body)

I could shorten the wheelbase to make it better fit 1/10 scale Monster Truck bodies, but I probably won't. I'm most likely going to get a 1/10 scale Monster Truck body that easily allows me to cut the wheel well such that I can lengthen the wheelbase a bit.

Bodies I'm considering are:

Let me know if you have any body suggestions for this build.

IMG_2881.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

Recent Popular Liked

Back