• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Tired EB48.3 racer to basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeeBrainz

Reaction score
I recently picked up a tired eb48.3 roller with the plan to clean it up over winter and turn it into a basher to play with my kids and their trucks in the spring. I was hoping to just replace the bearings, rebuild the shocks and diffs and be on my way. I have started going through it and realize that it needs a bit more than that. It has some broken arms, bent hinge pins, but mostly finding that the hardware is just a mess. It is rusty and mismatching. It fits together tight so I am not worried, but clearly this thing has been apart a few times. Down the rabbit hole we go.

Is it worth trying to replace all of the hardware? I have seen the RC Screwz stainless kits for like $30. Are those worth it or should I try to work with what I have?
I need to replace all of the bearings. Are the fast eddy kits OK or is there a better option?
I realize this is mostly a racing forum, but what oil wts should I be looking at for f/c/r diffs and shocks for bashing?
Also, looking for ~55-60 mph. Can I get there with 4S or will I need to go 6S?

Thanks!

I think there are more bashers here than racers honestly :)

I happen to be both a basher and a racer!

If you're not in a big hurry, I would mail in the parts to be replaced to TEKNO and use their 50% warranty offer:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Unless the hardware is rusted and/or stripped, I would leave well enough alone, but if you're trying to pimp your ride then there's nothing wrong with upgrading.

55mph might be a challenge on 4S, but doable if you gear up, but will be limited to shorter runs.

This 2650KV motor here should get you fairly close:
https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...ole-brushless-sensorless-motor-1-8-buggy.html

Not sure what gearing will be ideal, but for speed runs on flat ground, I'm thinking an 18T might get you pretty close to the speeds you want, but be sure to check your temps:
What gearing for upgraded electronics?

I'm also making an assumption that you'll be running GT8 wheels for the street where my favorite are Sweep EXP50 Belted Radials:
https://www.sweepracingusa.com/8th-...pc-tire-set-with-Pre-Glued-options_p_266.html

For a street basher setup, I would start out with 20/30/10 for your diffs and go with the stiffest springs and 600cSt in both the front/rear

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Wow that's great they offer a warranty against worn and broken parts! The warranty states that they do not cover discontinued parts, parts out of production or parts that they do not have in stock. My EB48.3 is discontinued but they have the parts I need in stock. Is it worth submitting a claim?

Wow that's great they offer a warranty against worn and broken parts! The warranty states that they do not cover discontinued parts, parts out of production or parts that they do not have in stock. My EB48.3 is discontinued but they have the parts I need in stock. Is it worth submitting a claim?
It is worth a shot.

And if you absolutely need stainless steel screws go with Team KNK Hardware, Rc Screws suck, the screws are super soft, they strip rather easily and the kits are often incomplete.

What it means is that they only warranty what they have in stock, so navigate "Parts"--> "For Legacy Vehicles" --> "EB48.3"

Sometimes there will be a forward compatible part and they will warranty to that item but be prepared to have to upgrade to the newer part first at full price, then you can warranty that part for future claims.

Can someone move this to the EB48 forum? I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. :D

I am pretty impressed with the parts availability for this buggy. amain has pretty much everything. I am up to about $150 (what i paid for the buggy) in replacing broken / worn / missing parts and haven't gotten into the shocks yet.

Can someone move this to the EB48 forum? I just realized I posted this in the wrong place. :D

I am pretty impressed with the parts availability for this buggy. amain has pretty much everything. I am up to about $150 (what i paid for the buggy) in replacing broken / worn / missing parts and haven't gotten into the shocks yet.
Don’t forget the Tekno warranty, 50% off on all parts you ship back to them. No questions asked. It is a great way to save on major overhauling.

https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Is white lithium grease OK to use in places the instructions calls for grease or is there a better option?

edit: also are there any must replace parts in the diffs while I'm in there? There was no oil left in the diffs, but the o rings, gaskets and shims all appear to be in good shape.

Is white lithium grease OK to use in places the instructions calls for grease or is there a better option?

edit: also are there any must replace parts in the diffs while I'm in there? There was no oil left in the diffs, but the o rings, gaskets and shims all appear to be in good shape.

I wouldn't use white lithium. The seals need some type of green grease in my opinion. Especially the shocks.

would you use that same green grease on the diff pinion gear mesh? The instructions dont say anything about using different kinds of grease.

would you use that same green grease on the diff pinion gear mesh? The instructions dont say anything about using different kinds of grease.
No, I use Red n Tacky in the gear boxes. I put more than what a racer would do; you want minimum resistance in that area.

The buggy has been running great! I am very happy with it except for a couple of things.

1. The chassis fills up with grass and acorns and stuff every time I run it in the yard. I need to get the air compressor out each time to blow it out.
2. I have broken a few front hinge pin inserts already from some (IMO) light hits. The front wheels are very exposed (duh).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Recent Popular Liked

Back