• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Tekin or Castle for Speed,Power and durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duigatekno

Reaction score
Hey guys I just purchased the wrong castle creations mamaba system. I accidentally purchased the 1/10 mamba x 2200kv sensored combo. I’ll have to wait until Monday to cancel the order as I have already sent the seller an email. I really trust castles systems since that’s all I am use to running in the past in most my vehicles. I think now I would like to try Tekin systems but Iam a little confused on which to buy for my et48 truggy that will arrive used on Thursday. I would like to run my 6s batteries that I have with this system but most of their motors say 4s or 5s maxx, unless I go lower in kv. So long story short I would like to do standing BackFlip’s and also be able to get around 65mph. So which motor would perform or out perform the 2200kv castle motor when it comes to speed plus power. Your thoughts will help me make this decision today. Also I hear Tekin systems aren’t as reliable as castle in the long run especially if you bash it. How true is this?

Tekin is better suited for racing, their ESC's are not made to handle hard chassis slaps so if you plan to take large jumps then the ESC will fail sooner than many other brands like HobbyWing or Castle.

Since you will be bashing, there really is no need for Sensored electronics either, the sensor boards in the ESC and Motor are not designed to handle hard impacts and will tend to fail more quickly plus a sensorless motor will have a larger magnetic mass in the rotor from the extra space without the sensor board in the can which will give you more power.

The ET48 will not do standing backflips very easy, your best bet is to exchange it for a MT410 which is essentially all the same parts as far as the arms/shafts go in the ET48, but a shortened EB48 chassis... the MT410 will do standing back flips with ease:

This motor here is rated for 6S and would be perfect for your needs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopard-42...:~wAAAOSwMNheofdN:sc:USPSPriority!78717!US!-1

I would pair it with this 6S ESC here from HobbyWing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RedCat-Hex...TEAAOSwub1cpMjC:sc:USPSFirstClass!78717!US!-1

Good luck!

Tekin is better suited for racing, their ESC's are not made to handle hard chassis slaps so if you plan to take large jumps then the ESC will fail sooner than many other brands like HobbyWing or Castle.

Since you will be bashing, there really is no need for Sensored electronics either, the sensor boards in the ESC and Motor are not designed to handle hard impacts and will tend to fail more quickly plus a sensorless motor will have a larger magnetic mass in the rotor from the extra space without the sensor board in the can which will give you more power.

The ET48 will not do standing backflips very easy, your best bet is to exchange it for a MT410 which is essentially all the same parts as far as the arms/shafts go in the ET48, but a shortened EB48 chassis... the MT410 will do standing back flips with ease:

This motor here is rated for 6S and would be perfect for your needs:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leopard-42...:~wAAAOSwMNheofdN:sc:USPSPriority!78717!US!-1

I would pair it with this 6S ESC here from HobbyWing:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RedCat-Hex...TEAAOSwub1cpMjC:sc:USPSFirstClass!78717!US!-1

Good luck!

Funny you listed the leopard motor as I was just looking at that same motor. But Iam not a fan of Redcat plus I would like to have a sensored ESC Incase I decide to race. Also I chose the truggy because of the long wheel base but I don’t really have to do standing BackFlip’s just on demand wheelies since I already own the outcast. But with that being said do you think this motor can be paired using the mmx and Deliver on demand power? That way if I can go from running sensored to sensoreles when ready.

RedCat is not the OEM, they are just a distributor, the OEM is HobbyWing which is known for high quality, but yes I believe the MMX would power that motor just fine :)

RedCat is not the OEM, they are just a distributor, the OEM is HobbyWing which is known for high quality, but yes I believe the MMX would power that motor just fine :)
[/QUOTE

Oh ok sorry, that’s why they stated HobbyWing in the description. I think this will be the setup I go with soon as I get a chance to cancel my 1/10 mamba x order tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Your topic says power speed and durability , and you also mentioned that you like castle products. You best bet is to purchase to the new mmx8s esc and wait for the new sensored 1521 1650kv motor they are dropping soon .

Your topic says power speed and durability , and you also mentioned that you like castle products. You best bet is to purchase to the new mmx8s esc and wait for the new sensored 1521 1650kv motor they are dropping soon .

Yeah I thought about the mmx8s esc but I thought it would be an overkill for the truggy.?‍♂️ But I had no idea they were releasing a new motor. I think I'll go ahead and drop in a mmx or either the redcat hobbywing esc mentioned above, paired with the leopard motor. And later this summer or whenever castle release their new motor go with that setup in the losi 1/5 scale desert buggy. Thanks for the suggestion because I love reading everyone's suggestions and thoughts

The MMX is a great basher esc and is rated for up to 6s, its also water proof. The fans are my biggest gripe cause the blades break too easily IMO. Other than that they are great, I have two that have been used in vehicles for the last 3 years and still no issues.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...-8-scale-brushless-esc-cse010-0145-00/p453455

The MMx8 is rated for 1/6th scale vehicles which are much larger, I think its over kill for a 1/8th scale Tekno

The MMX is a great basher esc and is rated for up to 6s, its also water proof. The fans are my biggest gripe cause the blades break too easily IMO. Other than that they are great, I have two that have been used in vehicles for the last 3 years and still no issues.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/castle...-8-scale-brushless-esc-cse010-0145-00/p453455

The MMx8 is rated for 1/6th scale vehicles which are much larger, I think its over kill for a 1/8th scale Tekno

Ok thanks a lot for the info guys I have narrowed my choices down to these. I’ll go with the Mamba MonsterX esc because it seems to be sensored, waterproof, powerful and durable. I also like the fact that I can use the b link programming feature plus I myself haven’t had any issues in the past with my original mamba monsters. Yep it’s been that long since I had to purchase an esc for 1/8 scale. ?‍♂️ Now as far as motor narrowed it down to the leopard 4274 2150kv sensored motor and the Hobbystar 4274 2250 sensored motor. The HobbyWing 4274 2200kv sensorless motor also caught my attention having a great price of $87. What do you guys think of these motors? Iam leaning hard towards the leopard motor since I now they carry extreme power from what I hear, plus I have a smaller version of the leopard in my mini eight t and love it.? Well my decision is almost made up thanks to you guys on this form with all your support. I’ll make sure to post pics and give my thoughts on everything soon as I get everything I need and put it together for your help. So let me know what you guys think about the three motors. Read someone called the leopard (aka mamba 1515) is that powerful or better?‍♂️?

Go with the castle 1515 it is waterproof as well as being sensored

That was my first choice but couldn’t find one in stock as a combo nor single. So I decided to try a different motor or setup. I thought about purchasing a regular castle 1515 but there are so many knock offs out there I just decided not too.

When I purchased my 3 Tekno kits 18 months ago I installed the Tekin RX8 Gen 3 ESC in each, with the ET48.3 getting the 2250kv truggy T8, the EB48.4 getting the 2650kv buggy T8 and the SCT410.3 getting the 2050kv buggy spec t8 and they have been awesome and trouble free. Having several of the 1/8 and 1/10 castle systems in other rigs that dont get raced I can say that if I were building another truggy or monster truck to bash or run 6s regularly, especially if i wanted to keep the price down a bit I would probably go with Hobbywing or castle. My other Tekno, the eb410.2 as well as both my TLR 22 5.0 Elite and 22x4 kits all got the Hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 combos and they are without doubt the best 1/10 setups Ive found.

Nice dig @Billl DeLong ! Max6 for $112!
Way to overpower a rig... ?

@Duigatekno,
I would look into the Hobbystar motors if you are relocating the ESC. They have longer can motors that will hold more torque and better deal with 6s power.

I’ve been reading your guys post and looking into the motor combo for my up coming ET48.3 . So why the 2350? Looking into the Tekin setup sheets one says 1900 Kv and another 2000kv ... We are on our home track it’s 90’ by 180’ out door . AKA Silver Bullet Raceways ! Since 1984 Thank you guys for the help and the Tekno Addiction 3 rigs in three months ?? Thanks Kevin C.

the higher the KV the more speed you will get, you will also increase temps and discharge the battery faster... if you're running 10 min mains then I would recommend 1900KV, for 8 min mains you might do just fine with 2350KV but will need to be careful with gearing so you don't overheat.

Thanks for the tip! So it works just like the 1/10 range. Just wanted to be sure before I blow money in stuff I don’t need. We have nice stuff and just like to race with hustle and a cold one ! Thank you guys again ??

Thanks for the tip! So it works just like the 1/10 range. Just wanted to be sure before I blow money in stuff I don’t need. We have nice stuff and just like to race with hustle and a cold one ! Thank you guys again ??

No more than 2000kv in the ET48.3 if you ask me.

Recent Popular Liked

Back