• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

48 2.0 Pinion Sizes.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ifti

Reaction score
On the stock EB48 2.0, would a 17T pinion be a good place to start?

I don't want to have to deal with overheating issues etc!

Buggy will be used on 4S lipo, mainly on flat surfaces, just driving around generally in parking lots or gravel. Not competition racing. No jumps or heavy bashing etc.

Electronics will be XeRun XR8 Plus with 1900kv motor.

Have ordered a Robinson Racing Products Hardened 32P Absolute Pinion, 17T, RRP1717
Now thinking whether I got the correct pinion?

Last edited:
Check your temps, 17T (Mod1) may do fine:
What gearing for upgraded electronics?

Page 21 of the Manual:
Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks guys - changed order from 32p to Mod1!

The 32p pinion I ordered has been shipped - they didn't cancel it in time!
The Mod1 pinion I ordered has also been shipped.

And what happens - I go through my RC stuff and realise I have a brand new and sealed Traxxas Mod1 17t pinion spare that i could have used!!! lol

Luckily they are cheap enough so will just through them in my tool box!
Just my luck! lol

I like to download the manuals before ordering the kit I'm about to build. Gives me a chance to look it over and possibly gives a heads up to something I may have overlooked.
Capture.JPG

Not all pinion gears are made the same. Please, let me know about your Robinson Racing pinion gear fitment. They are normally the brand I get, but I had (unknown brand) left over from my 8.2e buggy...didn't fit in the EB48 2.0's motor mount. I'm currently using an Arrma pinion gear until I find the motor's sweet spot.

Last edited:
I like to download the manuals before ordering the kit I'm about to build. Gives me a chance to look it over and possibly gives a heads up to something I may have overlooked.
View attachment 4099

Not all pinion gears are made the same. Please, let me know about your Robinson Racing pinion gear fitment. They are normally the brand I get, but I had (unknown brand) left over from my 8.2e buggy...didn't fit in the EB48 2.0's motor mount. I'm currently using an Arrma pinion gear until I find the motor's sweet spot.

Yup definitely should have read the manual first! Just glad it wasn't a more expensive part!

The Robson Racing pinion I got was a 32p 17t unfortunately. I'll probably sell to someone who needs it or just leave it in my tool box! lol

Yup definitely should have read the manual first! Just glad it wasn't a more expensive part!

The Robson Racing pinion I got was a 32p 17t unfortunately. I'll probably sell to someone who needs it or just leave it in my tool box! lol

Or get an ET410 so you can use that 32t pinion. LOL

Or get an ET410 so you can use that 32t pinion. LOL

lol
EB48 2.0 should have been coming end of this month. Now possibly delayed again due to the virus situations and fewer shipments!!! Arghhhhh
Could probably get another kit and have it build before the EB48 arrives! lol

larger pinion will reduce acceleration and increase top speed, this can help settle the car down in technical sections, but too large of a pinion may make it more difficult to clear jumps with a short run up to where having faster acceleration (with a smaller pinion) can make it easier to clear jumps more consistently.... there is no right/wrong gearing, just what works best for you provided temps are within acceptable range.

Running a 5200mAh pack, to the point where LVC kicks in, will give me a good 17 minutes most days while using a smaller pinion gear. With motor reaching 160°F~168°F temps, that is just in my comfort zone. Everybody's motor choice and driving style will contribute to what is needed as far as gearing.

My lower budget 1900kv motor probably doesn't have the same quality components as the "big boys" have. The efficiency will be lower, and I accept that. Trying to keep a happy medium in everything can be a challenge.

For years, the go to combo was 1900kv and 16T pinion. For what it's worth, not every buggy has the same internal gearing. My last buggy had an internal gearing of 4.3:1 and the 2.0 buggy has a 3.33:1 ratio.

Y'all don't want to know my current 2.0 gearing.

I'm running the Tekin RX8 gen 3 esc and the 2250 motor with 16T pinion and a 44T spur.
Is that ok for keeping temps down, because its plenty fast i feel, street driving for most part.
No tracks in my area at all.

Recent Popular Liked

Back