• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Newbie questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DCBpinball

Reaction score
Hello,

New to Tekno. Have a lot of Traxxas. A guy is offering me his Tekno EB48 for my e-Revo 2.0. It looks super clean but I don't know if this is a good trade or not. I see there are several versions of the EB48 and I assume .4 is what everyone wants. Questions:

Is this a fair trade?
What version is this buggy?
Things I need to watch out for?

Pictures attached.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Darren

Attachments

• 78298146_551268168772319_8346134651798028288_n.jpg
    78298146_551268168772319_8346134651798028288_n.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 350
  • 78384490_783452722104008_2791797887078498304_n.jpg
    78384490_783452722104008_2791797887078498304_n.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 373
  • 79529054_2914193275282102_8705637841268375552_n.jpg
    79529054_2914193275282102_8705637841268375552_n.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 358
ask for a pic of the underside to see which version.

.3 arms:
TKR5030B_1s.jpg

.4 Arms;

TKR8184s.jpg

I am not a fan of Traxxas products for reasons explained here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3067295-Boycott-Traxxas

I personally feel that making the switch from Traxxas to TEKNO is a huge upgrade, I can't think of any single reason why someone would want to downgrade to a Revo, not trying to be rude, just very suspicious that there might be some undisclosed issues that the guy is withholding.

If the vehicle hasn't been properly maintained, then expect there to be some seized bearings that may need to be replaced, possibly some melted hubs from over heated bearings, wallowed out arms , stripped threads on the diffs, worn rubbers seals might need to be replaced, worn out drives, bent shafts, etc...

Fortunately TEKNO offers a 50% lifetime warranty for any parts you mail into them so if you need to replace anything, then it shouldn't be too expensive to repair:
https://www.teknorc.com/warranty-repair/

Even if there were a bunch of problems, I would definitely find it worth while trading up to TEKNO, even if it was an older version because TEKNO provides backwards compatibility for everything they sell, you won't ever risk getting stuck without parts ;)

.3 arms:

.4 Arms;

I personally feel that making the switch from Traxxas to TEKNO is a huge upgrade, I can't think of any single reason why someone would want to downgrade to a Revo, not trying to be rude, just very suspicious that there might be some undisclosed issues that the guy is withholding.

If the vehicle hasn't been properly maintained, then expect there to be some seized bearings that may need to be replaced, possibly some melted hubs from over heated bearings, wallowed out arms , stripped threads on the diffs, worn rubbers seals might need to be replaced, worn out drives, bent shafts, etc...

Fortunately TEKNO offers a 50% lifetime warranty for any parts you mail into them so if you need to replace anything, then it shouldn't be too expensive to repair:

Even if there were a bunch of problems, I would definitely find it worth while trading up to TEKNO, even if it was an older version because TEKNO provides backwards compatibility for everything they sell, you won't ever risk getting stuck without parts ;)

Hi Bill, thank you for the thorough and thoughtful response. I will definitely read the article you provided regarding Traxxas.

He seems like a super nice guy. His logic for the trade was that a tornado tore apart his local track and everyone moved from racing to bashing. Says this truck is too nice to bash, he wants to do controlled flips/jumping, so he wants to make the move. He totally recognizes I'm getting the much better end of the deal. Said he would fully demo the truck for me prior to the trade.

Again, thank you so much for your help!

Darren

.3 arms:
TKR5030B_1s.jpg

.4 Arms;

TKR8184s.jpg

That's very interesting. What a bunch of douches

@DCBpinball , i would do the trade for sure and would take any EB48 version as long as it’s clean.

Fyi, the market is going to be flooded with EB48s in the coming months as there is an EB48 2.0 in preparation. Does that matter? Probably not. I just got a second used EB48.4 for my kids to race and don’t really care about what’s coming next since I’m far from being a competitive driver.

To the seller’s point, the one thing that a buggy does not do well is strong air maneuvering. This is due to the limited mass in rotation of the smaller wheels. Not good for backflips.

From a pure deal value perspective, a clean EB48.4 sells for $350 without remote. Unless your e-revo is very heavily upgraded, the trade makes sense.

What you should expect next:
• the EB48 is a fantastic RC, it is so much more precise and well built than a Traxxas. You’ll very much enjoy the precision and build quality of Tekno
• your next move will be to get an ET48 or MT410 in order to get more ground clearance and more off road capabilities
• and the addiction goes on... ?

Looks like a .4 to me (springs look like the newer springs unless they’ve been upgraded) the weird thing is that in one pic he has Tekin electronics and in another it’s hobbywing.. either one is good (that is if it’s coming with electronics). The 48.4 is a bad ass buggy for sure! I love mine! Easy to work on and find parts for. I haven’t broken a damn thing on this tank.. except a battery strap and i blew out a hub bearing (30ft air and i landed on the front tire horribly) 5min fix and i was back in action. I’m new to this buggy thing and if i were you I’d jump on that deal! Traxxas is inferior compared to tekno IMHO. This buggy needs Zero ‘upgrades’ all parts are quality and what they need to be from the get go..

Good luck

Last edited:

Recent Popular Liked

Back