• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Max8 up in smoke. Try something different next?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hector_Fisher

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
  2. SCT410
My relatively new max8 had been acting strange. Random sputtering, power cuts at curious times. I thought it was rx or tx or eve motor relates. Turns out it was the max8. This was an RTR I bought off aliexpress, was that my issue? Was running a 2050kv motor the issue?

Would you buy another max8? They usually have high reliability, so it surprised me that it died so fast.

That's a tough one to take.. if it was from AliEx, was it a take off, or off spec? That's what I always wonder..
Personally, I won't be buying a Max8 until I'm convinced they're sorted out.. I'm referring to the G2. I don't think you can find the official Max8 G1 from an authorized source anymore, sadly..
If you need adjustable BEC,I would suggest Castle or maybe Max6. Not sure what will really fit.. as an outside chance, if you could score a Corally torox 185 for a good price, that would be my choice. Everyone knows about them nowadays tho, they're getting a premium for them now.. they are the closest to a max8 G1 I think you'll find..

Maybe a Firma 150? They can be had for cheap, adjustable BEC too.🤷‍♂️

That's a tough one to take.. if it was from AliEx, was it a take off, or off spec? That's what I always wonder..
Personally, I won't be buying a Max8 until I'm convinced they're sorted out.. I'm referring to the G2. I don't think you can find the official Max8 G1 from an authorized source anymore, sadly..
If you need adjustable BEC,I would suggest Castle or maybe Max6. Not sure what will really fit.. as an outside chance, if you could score a Corally torox 185 for a good price, that would be my choice. Everyone knows about them nowadays tho, they're getting a premium for them now.. they are the closest to a max8 G1 I think you'll find..
Yeah i'm hesitant about the G2 for the same reason. Also, i don't like that the G2 6s combo has the 4278 motor, which would require moving the ESC. Moving it isn't a huge issue, but I do like how balanced the MT410 is and would like keep the ESC it in it's stock location if possible.

Considered a max6, but that's a bit heavy and unnecessary. Was looking at mmx6s or mm2. Spektrum take off could work, but if I'm "overgeared" as was suggest on AF, then perhaps the spektrum might not be right.

Never heard of hobbymate hobby, but if they check out, i like this price, and i'd get this combo:
https://hobbymatehobby.com/products...th-ezrun-2200kv-motor-t-plug-rc-hobby-product
It's 2200kv though, so if overgearing is the issue, this is right back to where I started!

Or this, just for the ESC and then pick up a lower kv surpass motor?
https://rcworld.us/hobby-wing-ezrun-max8-v3-waterproof-brushless-esc-w-program-box/

Yeah i'm hesitant about the G2 for the same reason. Also, i don't like that the G2 6s combo has the 4278 motor, which would require moving the ESC. Moving it isn't a huge issue, but I do like how balanced the MT410 is and would like keep the ESC it in it's stock location if possible.

Considered a max6, but that's a bit heavy and unnecessary. Was looking at mmx6s or mm2. Spektrum take off could work, but if I'm "overgeared" as was suggest on AF, then perhaps the spektrum might not be right.

Never heard of hobbymate hobby, but if they check out, i like this price, and i'd get this combo:
https://hobbymatehobby.com/products...th-ezrun-2200kv-motor-t-plug-rc-hobby-product
It's 2200kv though, so if overgearing is the issue, this is right back to where I started!

Or this, just for the ESC and then pick up a lower kv surpass motor?
https://rcworld.us/hobby-wing-ezrun-max8-v3-waterproof-brushless-esc-w-program-box/
I have bought from Hobbymate Hobby. They're in China. Shipping was around 2 weeks I think, was a while ago..no problems though.
So, if I understand correctly, a lower kv motor will provide higher efficiency?
What about say, a Firma 150a with a 1350 kv motor? Or is 1350 too low?
https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Senso...s_a_1_5?keywords=1350kv&qid=1682969639&sr=8-5

I have bought from Hobbymate Hobby. They're in China. Shipping was around 2 weeks I think, was a while ago..no problems though.
So, if I understand correctly, a lower kv motor will provide higher efficiency?
What about say, a Firma 150a with a 1350 kv motor? Or is 1350 too low?
https://www.amazon.com/Rocket-Senso...s_a_1_5?keywords=1350kv&qid=1682969639&sr=8-5
Heck if I should know anything about efficiency LOL.

I still don't understand why lower KV would matter much. In essence i'd be "gearing" it down if I went a lower kv.

I thought about getting another spektrum, but i'm still slightly nervous since my spektrum 150a in the kraton went up in flames. Am I'm just a serial ESC KILLER??? :LOL:

I liked the idea of a combo, but everything seems to be high kv. I do think i'm leaning towards a standalone ESC and then pairing with a lower kv rocket motor. And motors are super easy to choose from, lots of sizes and kv options available.

Did you monitor you temps with a new set up? Are you sure your gearing is correct? Did you simply burn it out by bad gearing and overheating?

What battery were you using? 4s or 6s?

Sounds like there was nothing wrong in your setup, just a bad electronic component… Not worth going bigger and relocating ESC IMO.

I like the idea of dropping kv on 6s. Most 6s setups (all the RTR stuff) is fun but also just breaking poop. Way overpowered too if you’re running on a track / confined area.

Temps were acceptable. Around 130f iirc. ESC fan was still working, just tested it on another esc. Spun up no problem. And no debris around the fan. Was running 6s. And I don't have any 4s or 2x 2s packs to run.

I'm pretty convinced I just got a lemon. My plan I'm looking into is replacing with an mmx and 4274 hobbystar or rocket motor around 1600kv (and adjusting gearing to suit about 60mph). Based on dimensions I'm seeing, the mmx shouldn't need relocation.

Temps were acceptable. Around 130f iirc. ESC fan was still working, just tested it on another esc. Spun up no problem. And no debris around the fan. Was running 6s. And I don't have any 4s or 2x 2s packs to run.

I'm pretty convinced I just got a lemon. My plan I'm looking into is replacing with an mmx and 4274 hobbystar or rocket motor around 1600kv (and adjusting gearing to suit about 60mph). Based on dimensions I'm seeing, the mmx shouldn't need relocation.
I just bought the max 8 v2, and now you have me thinking i should return it and buy something more durable. How long did yours last?

I can recommend a motor in the 1600kv range, I ran an TP power 1580kv 40x74mm motor in my Tekno ET48 on 6S flat out for a whole battery, it ran at a good temperature and had tons of power. Much better than the 2000-2200kv motors that most combos come with, I couldn’t get one of those motors to run cool, even with the lowest gearing the car supported and fans as well!

Recent Popular Liked

Back