• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Leaking differential - was ProTek blue grease the issue?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickolai137

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just spun up my ET48.3 for the first time and immediately saw a line of differential oil flung out from the end of the center diff. After inspecting, it's coming from around the output shaft on the end without the gasket, so it must be leaking out around the output shaft.

I know I put in the differential o-rings, and when I did I used Pro-Tek blue o-ring grease. I used that same grease around the output shaft, and did not use the included black grease from Tekno.

I'm guessing that was probably my issue - does diff oil mix with that blue o-ring grease and allow a leak? If that's the reason behind the leak then I need to rebuild all three diffs before I run the thing. As someone fresh back into this after a 15 year hiatus I'd be very grateful for the insight of more knowledgeable folks.

Thanks. All the best.

It's fairly common for fluid to work into the exposed holes where the screws fasten the diff and the fluid from those holes will fling out on first use. I try to hit the diff with some compressed air to blow out any residual oil before installing the diff after a fresh rebuild.

I know I put in the differential o-rings, and when I did I used Pro-Tek blue o-ring grease. I used that same grease around the output shaft, and did not use the included black grease from Tekno.
I've been using that same blue grease on my last couple diff rebuilds and things have been great. I had a similar experience to what you described when I first built the car, and that was with the Tekno black grease. I think I overfilled the center diff that first time and that caused the leaks.

Hey Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, it's much appreciated. I could definitely see how that would've happened as I definitely had some oil filling up the screw holes. I also didn't realize until you pointed it out that the screw holes actually pass through the hole body, so the oil could leak out the other end from me standing it up for a while after it was built.

My only other concern is that there's some milky-blue mixture of the grease and oil visible around the bearing on that end. I'm guessing that may be from the grease that I lined the output shaft with mixing with the oil that came down from the screw holes. If that's all it is then great. I guess the key question left is:

Is that Pro-tek all-purpose / o-ring grease suitable in this application, or will it not provide a durable seal (in which case I should rebuild)?

Thank you again!

Tetsuo I somehow missed your reply on my tiny screen! My apologies. That's very helpful to know, thank you. I probably did overfill it.

Thank you both for the input. Good to have the confidence to know I'm probably not off base in my understanding. Things seem to have changed a lot in the last couple of decades so I'm grateful for the confirmation :)

Happy weekend everyone! Thank you again :)

I would say one of the most common causes of a diff leaking after a build or rebuild is due to them being overfilled it has happened to me more than once

Recent Popular Liked

Back