• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

I kinda wanna try a nitro... NB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC_User

TF Excellence Award
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. SCT410
Driving Style
Racer
Always wanted to try a nitro car, I know zero about them. I have a few questions for nitro folks:

Why are so many used nitro cars for sale missing the engine?
How important is the brand/quality of a nitro engine? I've heard some like OS are great and others like XTM are junk.
I've been looking a bit for something old and cheap like an rc10gt (wanted one since I was a kid) would it be a good choice considering parts are still out there, I've seen them ARTR for around $100.
It would rule to score a Tekno NB (hence why I posted here) but I'm guessing they probably need a $200+ dollar engine?

Why are so many used nitro cars for sale missing the engine?
Reasons vary. sometimes the engine was used in another kit; prolly the most common reason. Sometimes the engine's just trashed, sometimes a sponsor wanted it back.

How important is the brand/quality of a nitro engine? I've heard some like OS are great and others like XTM are junk.
Engine quality is make or break, my guy. OS is definitely top shelf stuff. I've had really good experiences with Associated and Kyosho engines as well, vis-a-vis surface models(And a whole notebook full for aircraft but those dont' much apply here!).

OS 18CV-RX, second time I'd ever started it. Engine was stone dead cold in about 55-60 degree ambient temps. Still one-pull started. Gotta love 'em! This engine currently lives in my oval track car and it's a brute.

Traxxas engines are hot garbage. do not touch them with a stolen 10' barge pole. I challenged myself with a TRX3.3 and could only get it to last about a gallon, it always wanted the carb fiddled with, quit on me, all the usual crap haters use to say nitro sucks. None of my OS, AE, Kyosho engines do that! In fact they tend to only need tweaked once or twice yearly. Then again I also don't run them right on the ragged edge of peak performance(And neither should you; leave this to the guys who make their living off race winnings!).

I've been looking a bit for something old and cheap like an rc10gt

You would love it. Mine is pretty much fully original too. I've got a Protek 100SS steering servo in it and I'm on a Futaba S-FHSS air radio(I fly and I prefer sticks so I just use one Tx to run them all). Only 20% nitro too. This thing SCOOTS! I've driven electrics with less git!

It would rule to score a Tekno NB (hence why I posted here) but I'm guessing they probably need a $200+ dollar engine?
Not necessarily.

This is what's going into mine. I got it totally for free from a junk bin. Had been written off as scrap metal but all it needed was replacement main bearings; threw 20 bucks at BOCA and voila. Viable big block. And it should be plenty of power for my build, usage. Originally came out of a monster truck of some sort(And I even have the original transmission/clutch to go with!) and in that video it's running the pipe from a Kyosho FO-XX(Which I will also use on my NB48).

The strongest engines you can buy will all be expensive as, but if you're just starting out with nitro it's best to pick up a more mild mannered engine. I highly HIGHLY recommend the Kyosho KE-25. I have two of them and they're dreamboats. One is in my Mad Crusher GP; came there from the factory. The other is in my Scorpion XXL, which I built from kit and acquired the engine secondhand from a buddy who worked at the same hobby shop that condemned the MAch 26 in the above video. Exceptionally reliable, plenty of power, easy to start, easy to tune, and they use standard glow plugs which are easy to get(Fun fact my LHS does not carry turbo plugs which most race engines requre!). IF I was buying an engine brand new for my NB48 2.0 I'd probably get a third KE-25.

The biggest thing you need to help you start out with nitro is a reliable, mild mannered engine that isn't very fussy. Worry about peak power later. the KE-25 is more than enough power for a 1/8 buggy until you start pulling in four figure race wins. And as a bonus, the KE-25 doesn't require a starter box. Nice and convenient. High dollar high power race engines require these.

Last edited:
I used to run nitro a long time ago. Been electric forever but I want to get a nitro too. There is nothing like the smell and satisfaction of getting it running well. There's definately a missing element with electric compared to nitro!!

Recent Popular Liked

Back