• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

NB48 2.0 build log: No replacement for Displacement edition!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. NB-48
Driving Style
Basher
So I've been in hobby-grade RC for nearly 20 years, but racing has always been a nonstarter for me. There simply wasn't anywhere reasonably close to me to race! Well that's been changing lately. A concrete oval track being restored came to my attention and I've been helping get that working, enjoying running on it. This track also had an off-road side and now that is operational as well!

So naturally I take what I have out there to run on it. RC10GT, Kyosho Scorpion XXL. The latter is rigged for FPV and I had the camera system recording for some of my time out there...

The track is incredibly fun. Great flow. Still a little work to do on it...couple more jumps, some berms around a couple curves, but it's hella fun to run on.

We had a bunch of guys there; this is someone else driving their EB48.4 around it. I actually got to drive this car! It had a flat tire and a discharged battery but I loved how it drove so I started poking around....and hey, a local guy got picked by TLR, was selling off a NIB NB48 2.0. Bought that, have been crunching on it every other night since!

20210324_001316.jpg

My current progress on the car so far. I'm using an OS 30VG in it for two reasons...one, I needed a potent engine with a pull starter(I don't do bump boxes sorry) and two I already had this sitting on the shelf waiting for a car. I had half a mind to use it in a conversion project. Wanted a nitro Limitless. Think itt'l be plenty fun in this car though!

Building per the manual for the most part. Will probably use some 35wt shock oil since I've got a 4oz bottle of the stuff and it works pretty well on this track in my Scorp XXL; both cars will weigh more or less the same. Also not terribly hard to change.

Other parts I'll be using...which are on order and should be in Monday:

1x set AKA Cityblock Evo tires(Primary race tire)
1x set Proline Badlands MX-38 tires(Springtime = mud season, also I'll prolly bash it when I'm not racing it, so these will spare the Cityblocks that wear and tear)
2x set Proline Mach-10 wheels(I don't care for dish wheels)
1x Protek RC 155T servo(Steering)
1x Protek RC 155S servo(Throttle)
1x Futaba R2106GF(I use my 10J radio to drive my cars and fly my planes; I'm an oddball)
1x Protek RC 2s1800 Li-FE hump pack

Unless there's an excessive delay in shipping this stuff I should have the maiden drive/break-in underway this time next week. That engine hsould make this car a spicy boi for sure!

I definitely expect it to be lively out of the hole. May have to change bells to get some top end out of it depending on the rev range of this engine, but then again my track is also quite small. My Scorpion XXL is good for about 35MPH(I know this because I ran it at a drag racing test'n'tune and that's what it was doing in the traps every single pass) and it was only barely getting to that speed at the end of the main straight. And that speed just felt right. When I drove the EB48.4 I found myself never using more than about 3/4ths throttle with it and felt it was way too powerful for its own good.

But we'll see. I'll have to run this car at that track and see if it feels like it wants more legs or not. Confident I've got the torque to pull whatever bell I throw at it.

Update: Worked on the car a bit more last night. Now it's holding itself up! Also got the motor mounts finalized; my engine is recoil start and I had to clearance the outboard mount a bit.

20210325_193708.jpg

20210325_193624.jpg

The car overall. Ye I did skip around a bit to get the wing on ahead of schedule, but meh. I always do that in kits. have built enough model kits and RC kits to have any issue therein. Should get the rest of the car built tonight.

Got a tracking # for the completion parts too; ETA on arrival still next monday so hopefully maiden voyage happens tues or wed afternoon.​

It lives! Gotta be patient right now of course, that engine needs its break-in, but it lives! Running it on the badlands right now; they will be the general tire used. Saving my cityblocks for only the racetrack; ripping donuts and powerslides in my driveway here would destroy them.

Engine's running as it should do right now. OS calls for a stupid dummy thicc fuel mix for break-in, but it's still reaching and maintaining operating temp like it should be doing, revs are being kept reasonable. Already feeling power increase too. Got a third tank of break-in done off camera as well.

Already loving how the car drives!

Oh, and yes, I do use a stick radio. Futaba 10J. I fly planes as well and it's super convenient for me to run my cars and my planes off the same radio. I use the elevator channel for throttle/brake and the rudder channel for cars; backwards from a normal car stick radio but hey.

Engine's broken in, tuned nicely. Car drives great. Still need to paint hte body(Cleaning it will be fun lol), then get some track time and dial the suspension into that! Not that itt'l need much. The way it drives now I reckon I'll find it pretty much spot on down there.

Gettin' some track time on it. Thing runs so nice! Drives great too. My inexperience on a track is showing but hey, that'll improve the more I run it. On AKA Cityblocks here rather than the badlands of the previous video.

30VG is a bit much for it, but it handles it shockingly well. I think if I go up a couple teeth on the bell and maybe soften the clutch a bit everything there will be in harmony. Right now it just explodes out of the hole and then just sorta stops pulling. Acceleration for days not much top end. Fuel economy is hot garbage though; 7 minutes is pushing my luck and I tend to pit around 5-6 minutes. If I was gonna seriously race this thing...yanno for actual prize money and trophies and such with travelling involved...I'd probably go to something like a Kyosho KE-21SP or KE-25. Bit less power, but just as reliable and much more miserly on the fuel.

Big blocks, man. Pass everything out there except a gas pump!

Recent Popular Liked

Back