• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

How to take a stripped grub screw out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan0823

Reaction score
Tekno RC's
  1. MT410
Driving Style
Basher
Hi, forum does anyone know how to get a stripped grub screw out of a pinion, it happened, this is my second one now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I was never good at that, but from what I have read and tested: always start heating the pinion and screw. Heat breaks loctite and soften metals. Then use an extractor kit. In the absence of extractor kit some torx bits can work.

Start the drilling and grinding only if desperate, unless you really know what you are doing it usually ends up messy.

For a motor pinion since the motor shaft is visible, consider blocking the pinion and hitting the shaft with a needle and try to free it up form the screw.

Is the Allen size metric or standard? I’d start with some heat on the gear and see if you can get a fresh Allen wrench to bite well enough to loosen it up. .050 are always terrible about stripping. You can pick up an Ezout extractor kit for 4-40 or 3mm screws are most hardware stores, I’ve had good luck with them in the past. Also most auto parts stores have left-handed drill bits that may work the same way, they just drill in reverse and if they grab the screw usually comes loose.

Thanks guys for the advice I tried everything? And to not destroy the pinion hole I ordered a screw extracter and hope I have better luck with that it'll be here tomorrow when the mail run here in Martinsferry ohio around 12.
Thanks I appreciate the advice.

Well I got the grub screws out with my extractor set I purchased it worked well thanks for the advice @ Nico I appreciate it.

In many cases I have used a Torx bit that fits tightly and have gotten it out along with heating them.

I found out about using Torx bits the hard way a looong time ago when I assembled a kit entirely with Torx bits....when the screws were hex. D'OH! But hey, it worked! LMAO

Recent Popular Liked

Back