• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Esc fan running non stop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys Esc fan runs continuously once powered up even if u don’t drive !! I know normally they don’t work but this chap runs non stop !! What u think Esc problem or just new fan needed

Hey guys Esc fan runs continuously once powered up even if u don’t drive !! I know normally they don’t work but this chap runs non stop !! What u think Esc problem or just new fan needed
What esc? Some esc's have settings for the fan like always on or temperature dependent.

Not sure if Hobbywing ESC's have a temp controlled fan but if you don't have a temp control option, then you can use a donor servo to strip out the main board and wire it up to your 3rd channel and use your radio to control the fan if you want to do something similar:

The fan only used to run when hot so not like that from factory !! Just didn’t want to buy a new fan if it’s the Esc as the fan does work ! Just non stop ?well atleast the temps will be good

I see a few different scenarios.

If the fan is a two or three wire model, it's probably just set up as full on when the temp reaches a certain range, and off otherwise. This would be controlled by the ESC itself. Seeing the fan is on all the time, it's probably reasonable to think the fan is fine and the ESC isn't functioning as it should considering the fan used to turn on when needed. I suppose you could test it by removing it and providing 12V to it, but that won't really tell you anything more than you already know.

Also, there could be speed control on a two or three wire fan by the power being supplied to it by varying the current. Generally speaking, from what I've read, these fans don't operate under 5V.

If it's a four wire fan, then it's probably being controlled with PWM, which is a method of chopping up the 12V power signal being fed to the fan in a way that it allows the speed of the fan to be increased/decreased as needed.

And I just ran a search for a replacement fan for a BLX185. It's a two wire fan.

There could be another scenario -- perhaps the fan isn't pushing the amount of air it should. Dunno, a fan is $10. It probably would be a good thing to have a replacement on hand. Buy a replacement and install it -- if it runs all the time you'll know it is the ESC and the fan was fine.

I have that esc on my kraton, from the factory it has always run as soon as you turn until it’s turned off ?‍♂️

Ive got esc's that run the fans all the time and others that run at low speed all the time then higher speeds once the temps raise after running for a bit. When new the fan mechanism it self are nearly silent, but ive had a couple that became super loud and I eventually figured out that I had a portion of a fan blade break off of got a chunk of dirt stuck on one which caused them to be out of balance, making them super loud and they will fail in no time when they lose balance. Some esc's also have a second plug on them designed for a second fan and/or programmers etc, and those outputs run 100% of the time. On nearly all of my rigs Ive installed motor fans which I typically power them from open receiver channels which also makes them run 100% of the time. Changing the BEC voltage will then also adjust the fan speed slightly. The less heat on electronics the better 1000% of the time so Ive never seen any reason to not use or want as much cooling as possible.

I see a few different scenarios.

If the fan is a two or three wire model, it's probably just set up as full on when the temp reaches a certain range, and off otherwise. This would be controlled by the ESC itself. Seeing the fan is on all the time, it's probably reasonable to think the fan is fine and the ESC isn't functioning as it should considering the fan used to turn on when needed. I suppose you could test it by removing it and providing 12V to it, but that won't really tell you anything more than you already know.

Also, there could be speed control on a two or three wire fan by the power being supplied to it by varying the current. Generally speaking, from what I've read, these fans don't operate under 5V.

If it's a four wire fan, then it's probably being controlled with PWM, which is a method of chopping up the 12V power signal being fed to the fan in a way that it allows the speed of the fan to be increased/decreased as needed.

And I just ran a search for a replacement fan for a BLX185. It's a two wire fan.

There could be another scenario -- perhaps the fan isn't pushing the amount of air it should. Dunno, a fan is $10. It probably would be a good thing to have a replacement on hand. Buy a replacement and install it -- if it runs all the time you'll know it is the ESC and the fan was fine.
Cheers devnull
I appreciate your feedback and I agree with all u say, I’m thinking the Esc but I’ll buy another fan anyway and if it’s the same it’s not a major drama for a basher to have a continuous fan as the draw is minimal.. roll on the release of the new et48 I’m looking forward to that build when it arrives..
Thanks again
Gav

Recent Popular Liked

Back