• Welcome to Tekno RC Forums! Are you a Tekno RC fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best Tekno RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Tekno RCs and share your experience!

Eb48.4 vs eb48 2.0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teknoob

Reaction score
Hello new to the forum. I have recently gotten into RC a couple months ago, my local track does 1/10 and 1/8 buggy races and wanting to get into both classes. I see that Tekno just released the new EB48 and EB410 build kits recently and now the older versions are on clearance. Right now it’s about $180 less for eb48.4 vs eb48 2.0. Is it worth the extra money to go with the new version? Or save the money and put it to better quality electronics and upgrade later when I become a better driver?

Thanks any and all advice.

Hello new to the forum. I have recently gotten into RC a couple months ago, my local track does 1/10 and 1/8 buggy races and wanting to get into both classes. I see that Tekno just released the new EB48 and EB410 build kits recently and now the older versions are on clearance. Right now it’s about $180 less for eb48.4 vs eb48 2.0. Is it worth the extra money to go with the new version? Or save the money and put it to better quality electronics and upgrade later when I become a better driver?

I'm not a racer but have seen a few posts and videos saying that the EB48 2.0 is much better than the 48.4 but these are seasoned racers who will notice subtle changes. Same for the EB410 and EB410.2 but not as dramatic changes as the EB48 line. For a new racer I would think that the EB48.4 will be plenty enough to start out with. The $180 in saving could be used for upgrades when needed or much better electronics right away. As for the EB410 there's about $90 difference I would go with the 410.2 for the extra money. The chassis is better and Tekno corrected some known issues with the EB410.
I would just watch comparison videos online , and there are plenty of them, and judge for yourself.

TBuggy has had a few runs of his EB48 2.0 and said it was a large difference in performance. Personally I always tend to go for the latest model when I'm investing in a build etc.

I'm sure TBuggy will comment as soon as he is online - he's had first hand experience.....

Tricky question. I own 2 x .4 and 1 x .2. I do not own the 2.0.

i would be tempted to go for the newer 2.0 version because it is going to be a lot more future proof. From what I understand it will be easier to drive and maintain. Will it be a lot quicker? Probably not. All competitive buggies out there perform damn well. The differentiation seems to happen on durability and ease of use.

Now if you’re thinking you’ll upgrade anyhow down the road, go with the 2.0. No question. The upgrade will cost you more than $180.

I would take the .4 only if you’re convinced it is not slower, you can live with “old tech” and you’re sticking to it for the long run.

Side note, I could totally see veteran drivers, used to the narrower chassis of the .4 wanting to stick to it cause it works better with their driving style.

The .4 is considered “fast” but “touchy” to drive. So the 2.0 should be a no brainer for a beginner.

The 2.0 is a game changer, while I don't own one (I have taken a break from 1/8 Racing) , I have spoken with many racers at the track in my area who have made the upgrade from the .4, the extra tuning options alone are worth the investment, but basically the car feels more planted and more aggressive at the same time which is the most common description I hear from those drivers... the car drives so well I know of two die hard XRay drivers who immediately switched to the 2.0 after they were able to drop 0.5 seconds off their fast lap time while test driving the local team manager's car.

That said, you won't be chasing 0.5 second as a new driver, so it's really a judgement call, if you're gonna buy a .4 then I would only buy used because when you do get the speed to where the 2.0 will make a difference in the next 6 months or so, then you'll be back to square one and will hopefully recoup most of the money you spent on the used .4

If it were me, I'd just buy the 2.0 up front, why learn how to drive 2 completely different designs, plus very few of the .4 parts will be forward compatible and that's another expense as most drivers will carry spares just in case the on-site shop doesn't have what you need... I try to buy local when stuff breaks but will mail in my broken parts to TEKNO for their 50% warranty deal then keep spares in my pit box for last resort ;)

If you are willing to to spend the difference for the 2.0 it would be the way to go IMO. Even if you are just starting out. For me its an easier car to drive and I recommend it for that reason alone. Compared to previous generations, I would describe its driving characteristics just like above...super settled/planted but very responsive to throttle and breaking. Truly the best of both worlds!

The .4 is amazing but I think is a little less forgiving out of the box and takes some more setup to dial in. Once you got it where you want it though its great and for me was super hard to leave behind but am super glad I did!

I found myself in the same position. I dont race just bash around my yard and local park. Nothing crazy small jumps and makeshift track running. I bought the EB48.4 instead cause im on a really tight budget and I couldnt be happier. Thing is a tank a very very easy fast n easy to drive tank at that. Hope the reply isnt too late to be helpfull.

Thanks for all the feedback guys so I wound up buying a used eb48.4 for a decent price with what was supposed to be no issue with the car and I just got it in today. Wound up not having time to mess with it too much this afternoon when I got home but when I was messing with it and turning the front wheels it would catch going from left to right. I have no electronics in it at the moment. But it’s like you turn the steering linkage to the left and then going back to the right it will stick in the center then go to the right. In other RC cars I never had this problem it’s always smooth from left to right, so any advice would be help I’ll be there into maybe one night this week if not on Saturday for sure.

Is this on a stand or the ground when you are turning the wheels?

You will love your .4 I just got mine together last week and 2 trips to the track and it is hands down the best rig I own out of the 9 in my collection.

Now about your steering issue I would start by looking at it as 3 separate modules.

Left wheel end
Right wheel end
Center bell crank assembly

after all 3 are now not connected to each other move them independently and find were your sticking / binding issue is

it all should be buttery smooth

It’s on a stand. I put some wheels on it and holding it by the chassis in the air the steering linkage sticks going from left to right. It’s like something is catching it and a little force gets it to fully get it to go left to right.

I think its only when the suspension is at full droop.

Take a close look at this screw when you turn the wheels next time.
Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 7.26.09 PM.png

I notice this on the EB48.3 and the .4 when the front arms are at full droop the screw head makes contact to the arms when turning full radius.

Actually it was just the wheels that were on there it was rubbing on the inside of the wheel. Nothing wrong with the buggy as I see at the moment thanks!

Recent Popular Liked

Back